What's new

A Mouse or a Miniature Elephant? New Mammal Discovered in Africa

daring dude

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
(These all are small indications from your creature,, Or tum us ki kon kons si Naimat ko jhutlao ge
and its time for recite Astaghfaar More and more...Astagh far ullah hil Azeem .)

elephant-shrew-300x225.jpg

A new mammal was found in the remote African desert. It looks like a mouse but its close genetic analysis showed that it has genes similar to an elephant, reports a California scientist.

In Namiba, this mouse-like animal lives in a rocky habitat and to keep away the predators, it has a reddish fur that blends in the surrounding. This animal is named as Macrosceildes micus.

“It turns out this thing that looks and acts like shrews that evolved in Africa is more closely related to elephants,” says, a curator of mammals and birds at the California Academy of Sciences located in San Francisco, John Dumbacher.

It is indeed surprising that the only physical thing that links this shrew and elephant is its pointed trunk-like snout.

“They are actually closer related to elephants than they are to mice,” says academy researcher Galen Rathbun.

“I noticed that there were some differences that didn’t make sense, so I came to Jack [Dumbacher] for genetics,” Rathbun says.

This new research was documented in the Journal of Mammology.

Macrosceildes micus

such diffilcult name!:argh:

should be rather Elephino Mouseculous:p:

maybe @Akheilos can suggest a better name for this new creature....since shes into planting and gardening and doing research on leafs and their relationships/breakups with different sorta Flowers and Veges:enjoy:

:p:

Macrosceildes micus

maybe @Akheilos can suggest a better name for this new creature....since shes into planting and gardening and doing research on leafs and their relationships/breakups with different sorta Flowers and Veges:enjoy:

This might be it's scientific Name as they discovered.. and new discoveries contains location and structural reference of the discovery.. and will put the calling name different as of various medicines and animals are..like Elemouse ;)

Macrosceildes micus

Oh so, we have ghas poos ki doctor? Reminds me of movie chupke chupke.

Bus yahin rah giyea tha....Banda par par ker mar jai and uski izzat wahin ki wahin jahr day tay hain... :disagree:
lol

This might be it's scientific Name as they discovered.. and new discoveries contains location and structural reference of the discovery.. and will put the calling name different as of various medicines and animals are..like Elemouse ;)
i know about the scientific name thingy....i have read science particularly biology....every flower/animal/plant/insect has a scientific/biological name which sound completely different to its common name! it used to take us lotsa time to memorize their biological names with correct spellings:girl_wacko: that alwys sounded french/dutch to us!

Last edited:
Should we be surprised???
If hen is evolutionarily linked to dinosaurs then a mammal of mouse's size can be a miniature elephant too.

that alwys sounded french/dutch to us!
Its greek to me!!!:girl_wacko:
The only scientific name I can remember is mimosa pudica or the touch me not plant. :agree:

If hen is evolutionarily linked to dinosaurs then a mammal of mouse's size can be a miniature elephant too.

The only scientific name I can remember is mimosa pudica or the touch me not plant. :agree:
i hated them really....i was like what da heck? :undecided:if we can have their common names then why those weird names? but i would always spell them right! unlike you and @Akheilos :happy:

by the way the scientific name for Levina is Le Venticula Fightingulous all the timeulie on PDFigris!:p: same goes for @Akheilos :enjoy:

hen and dinosaurs?
smileys-smiley-with-sign-190335.gif

Marshmallow said:
hen and dinosaurs?
smileys-smiley-with-sign-190335.gif
What?
You didnt know about it??
Did you just imagine a giant T-rex shrinking and turning into a hen??
Well some of the dinosaurs were as small as dogs...and some could fly (which I am sure you knew), so it is to these dinosaurs (which could fly) that the hens are evolutionarily linked.

by the way the scientific name for Levina is Le Venticula Fightingulous all the timeulie on PDFigris!

Aaahhhh....
Then marshmallow has a scientific name too bella marsha hilarious trollingulous on pdfigris:p::bunny::bunny::bunny:

What?
Well some of the dinosaurs were as small as dogs...and some could fly (which I am sure you knew), so it is to these dinosaurs (which could fly) that the hens are evolutionarily linked.

Aaahhhh....
Then marshmallow has a scientific name too bella marsha hilarious trollingulous on pdfigris:p::bunny::bunny::bunny:
i always knew that lizards and Crocs have evolved from Dinosaurs and they do have some similarities in looks ....yeah some dinosaurs were too small a size of insects like this
a.baa-smallest-dinosaur.jpg

but Hens? with white feathers?:undecided: ....really had no idea.....
white-hens-16.jpg

What?

Aaahhhh....
haha this is funny...im gunna name some of PDFers as Biological names ...next is @Akheilos :p:

These all are illustrations a man can make out of the scraps or fossils of thousand year's back remains....
but we should all be thankful to the creator, who made such a perfect , distinguished and Unique Universe with millions of Species & off springs with color full bliss of Nature...

Hard name, from do these people come up with such names.

Are you sure its a new discovery,because i remember seeing a program on this mouse few years ago in discovery channel.

Back
Top Bottom