What's new

800 million living on 20 Rp a day

Why should I compare? Comparison should be done on the basis of equality to start of with, its rather shameful on your part to even suggest a comparison of country with 10 size the population and resources of Pakistan.

10 times more population and resources basically means the equal person/resources ratio btw India and Pakistan and hence can be compared.

A construction labourer fetches around 60 to 80 bucks per day, a maid servent gets around 600 bucks per month with one time lunch free.

Thats true but that money is divided between the wife if incase she isn't working and the kids who are definately not working. So maybe somebody who earns around Rs.3000/month(equivalent to $320 on PPP terms) and has to split between other 4 non working members of the family the per-capita income scales down to Rs.600 which is what the report states.

Well problem is there is no good data for representation of Macro Economy in India, 3000~5000 bucks per month is more than enough to run a family in many towns/cities in India ofcourse there will be constraints in luxuries.

In my small town students who comes from villages and lives in mess, you know how much they spends? Rs 7 bucks for their each meal i.e. around 350 bucks per month for meal which comprises of fish everyday to egg to what not.

We need good data about Macro Economy, also surprisingly it is this macro economic poverty which just needs a few reforms to settle the scores even, while poverty as in pure poverty level aka beggars is much harder to solve than giving macro economy a solidarity, take gujrat for example a report came few days back they have doubled farmers income within 5 years by a reform, it dramatically decreases these statistical index as well.

We need to define poverty first and need to have comprehensive policy towards poverty which effects people of different ways, a man in a 4 member family earning 3000 to 4000 bucks per month can be comfortably scaled up without much hastle than the ones who are literally struggling to earn 20 bucks per day.

bushroda I got it and I dont think it sounds AS BAD asd I was thinking to be that 80% of Indians being beggars.

Construction worker in Kerala fetches

230 ruppees/day. This I can say for Sure.

My maids earns 1850 per month each

8 out of 10 working Indians earn less than half a dollar a day

NEW DELHI: Eighty-six percent of working Indians earn less than 20 rupees or half a dollar a day, untouched by the country’s blistering economic growth, a government-backed study said on Friday.

Out of 457 million workers, 395 million are employed in the so-called unorganised sector — in areas such as agriculture, construction, weaving and fishing — the study found.

“Only 0.4 percent of the 395 million unorganised sector workers have access to any form of social security,” added the report from the National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganised Sector.

“... 79 percent of unorganised workers ... earn less than 20 rupees (49 cents) a day,” it said describing their living conditions as “sordid,” and “utterly deplorable.”

“No social security, pitiable working conditions, extreme poverty, no education, acute gender discrimination, and absent or poorly implemented laws - this is what India’s workers live by,” said author of the report and senior government official Arjun Sengupta.

It was sent earlier this week to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who was elected three years ago on a pro-poor ticket and continually warns that the dividends of India’s economic boom must trickle down.

At the same time, the number of Indians with a net asset of at least a million dollars reportedly crossed the 100,000 mark last year.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\08\11\story_11-8-2007_pg5_45

86 percent of Indian workers earn less than a dollar a day

NEW DELHI: Eighty-six percent of working Indians earn less than 20 rupees or half a dollar a day, untouched by the country’s blistering economic growth, a government-backed study said Friday.

Out of 457 million workers, 395 million are employed in the so-called unorganised sector - in areas such as agriculture, construction, weaving and fishing - the study found. “Only 0.4 percent of the 395 million unorganised sector workers have access to any form of social security,” added the report from the National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganised Sector. “... 79 percent of unorganised workers ... earn less than 20 rupees (49 cents) a day,” it said describing their living conditions as “sordid,” and “utterly deplorable.”

“No social security, pitiable working conditions, extreme poverty, no education, acute gender discrimination, and absent or poorly implemented laws - this is what India’s workers live by,” said author of the report and senior government official Arjun Sengupta.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\08\11\story_11-8-2007_pg4_18

The economic situation and social progress of Bangladesh is far superior to that of India. This probably explains the Indian illegal immigrants in BD.

Who bothered to write about Pakistanis economic boom? Who has the time to waste writing all those ' wonderland ' stories. 99% of the threads that Indians have posted
here about Pakistan is about the extremism previaling there. We bring in the Pakistani side only when we see the blessed souls from across the border comes speaking to us about our economic misery.

The less you talk about this. The better.

The economic situation and social progress of Bangladesh is far superior to that of India. This probably explains the Indian illegal immigrants in BD.

'This probably'.., still not sure why Indians end up in B'desh?

86 percent of Indian workers earn less than a dollar a day

NEW DELHI: Eighty-six percent of working Indians earn less than 20 rupees or half a dollar a day, untouched by the country’s blistering economic growth, a government-backed study said Friday.

Out of 457 million workers, 395 million are employed in the so-called unorganised sector - in areas such as agriculture, construction, weaving and fishing - the study found. “Only 0.4 percent of the 395 million unorganised sector workers have access to any form of social security,” added the report from the National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganised Sector. “... 79 percent of unorganised workers ... earn less than 20 rupees (49 cents) a day,” it said describing their living conditions as “sordid,” and “utterly deplorable.”

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\08\11\story_11-8-2007_pg4_18

So 457 million is like what 45% of the population. Out of that 395 million is around 39% of the population. Add to that the author says 79% of the 395 million i.e around 300 million earn less than 20 rupees.
300 million is round 30% of the population, which is nearer to the known 23-25% below poverty line in India.

So what is the fuss all about. The author just twisted the KNOWN FACTS and made it more glamorous by throwing in some numbers...

And yes by the way Daily Time so easily twist the report and says 80% of Indians earn less than 20 rs and then in the details it is 80% of "Unorganised Sector"...

So much for the reporting about facts..

Mr.Munshi,
Indian currency is around 1.7 times stronger than the Bangladeshi currency. Those who went to Bangladesh must be incredibly stupid in Maths or must be drugged.

Whatever the hell they earn in Bangladesh they will end have only half the value of it if they spend in India. I would gladly say India can be better off than such idiots.

Wonder why there are so many Bangladeshi illegals in UK,opening "Indian resurantants",rather than in Burma.

My contention is not that Indians are intelligent only that they are illegally in Bangladesh in their thousands.

My contention is not that Indians are intelligent only that they are illegally in Bangladesh in their thousands.

Aha. So millions now become thousands.

Anyways, illegal migration is happening both ways, as you say.

So lets just build a fence and be happy.

And concentrate on reducing militancy and terrorism in both countries.

Kosher?

Back
Top Bottom