What's new

75% of illegal immigrants in the country are living in Karachi

Karachiite

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: Around 75 per cent of irregular immigrants in Pakistan are living in Karachi, according to the Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research (Piler) that quoted the National Alien Registration Authority (Nara) in its annual report released on Thursday.
Nara estimated that 3.35 million illegal immigrants are living in the country and at least 2.5 million of them have settled in Karachi. There are over 100 migrant-concentrated residential areas in Karachi and most of these neighbourhoods are predominantly occupied by people from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Burma.
According to Piler, in a survey conducted on 500 garment female workers in 2009 in Karachi, Bengali women were found with the highest salaries as compared to other communities. Most of these women work mainly because they head the household or because they are disparately economically disadvantaged.
“My husband went blind six years ago and could not work … sometimes I could earn Rs20 to Rs30 per day for peeling shrimps,” said a Bengali woman, during the survey. “When I have no work, we have nothing to eat. Some people give us small money to survive.” On average, salaries range anywhere between Rs3,000 and Rs10,000 per month for these migrants.
At the launch of the Piler report, Sindh Labour Minister Ameer Nawab was the chief guest while the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan’s IA Rehman and labour leader Khursheed Ahmed also spoke.
The minister said that when he took charge only a fraction of the labour courts were functioning but now all of them were working. The government increased the minimum wage from Rs5,000 to Rs7,000 for unskilled workers and from Rs5,000 to Rs10,000 for skilled workers. Pensions have gone up Rs500 and dowry grants from Rs50,000 to Rs70,000.
Employment exchanges are working and around 147,000 applications have registered in 17 offices in Sindh of which 32,600 applicants have been given jobs. IA Rehman pointed out the toll the fight against terrorism has had on the worker, because more funds have been diverted to it. He pointed out that Ziaul Haq had tilted the labour policy towards the employer.
The statistics
The three major sectors that offer jobs are: 45 per cent for agriculture, 13 per cent industry and 34.3 per cent the services sector. The informal sector, which makes up 30 per cent of the economy — totally linked to the private sector — employs 73 per cent of the labour force.
Causes of decline
Industrial power outages in 2009 alone caused 535,000 jobs losses. Another 2009 study by the Child and Labour Rights Welfare Organisation, about the impact of the global economic recession on factory workers in Karachi found massive entrenchment in the garment factories. Three of the seven factories surveyed were completely shut down and 2,500 workers lost jobs.
Pakistan, classified as low-income country, has 84.6 per cent of its population earning less than $2 per day. A recent study states that 48.6 per cent of people are faced with food insecurity. Out of 130 districts, 80 are food insecure in the country, and of them, 45 are extremely food insecure.
The social security programmes are highly exclusionary: PESSI and the EOBI do not extend to farm workers and cover merely five per cent of the total workforce of 53 million.
Agriculture
None of the country’s labour law applies to agricultural workers. A recent survey of Sukkur district indicates a majority of farmers are subsistence farmers as 65 per cent have land holdings of up to 12.5 acres. In contrast, only five per cent of the farms are in the range of 25 acres to 100 acres. Large landholdings of 100 acres and above, totalling to 5.84 million acres are concentrated in less than one per cent of the total number of the farms, owned by a few landlords.
Workers in textile sector
According to a survey conducted on 500 garment female workers in Karachi, 99 per cent did not possess a written employment letter. Average income for a nine-member family was Rs5,000 per month. Data points to a significant 10 per cent child labour.

75% of illegal migrants in the country are living in Karachi, reveals survey – The Express Tribune

How come Bangladeshis and Burmese manage to illegally enter pakistan?

3.35 million illegal immigrants ... woof .. wtf , just wonder at times why the hel none in punjab ... forget illegals they are hostile to pushtoons as there are no massive settlements of pushtoons ... fail to understand which drain all the liberalism and pakistaniat flows when it comes to punjab .. thats very unfair

Karachi is full of immigrants, in fact it was built by immigrants and it is by far the most tolerant, welcoming place in Pakistan.

It needs to resolve one thing though, the MQM and ANP tussle which is a major pain in the ***.

Apart from that, it's all cool.

Karachi is full of immigrants, in fact it was built by immigrants and it is by far the most tolerant, welcoming place in Pakistan.

It needs to resolve one thing though, the MQM and ANP tussle which is a major pain in the ***.

Immigrants are good but these are illegals. Most of them get involved in crime just like most of the Afghanis that are plotting terrorist attacks in Karachi and also recently a couple of illegals from Bangladesh were caught trying to plot bombs in Karachi.
Burmese Muslims are fleeing to Karachi because of what the government is doing to them but Afghani and Bangladeshi illegals have no right to be in Pakistan.

sir g in my rough estimate out of 3.5 million there are atleast 2 million afghans , major alqaida and taliban leadership got caught from khi this is just the start and they are purposely caught due to pressure by americans there is a lot more to go ... where they live if you are a kheite than one knows for sure ... ANP strongholds ANP is using the pushtoon race card to hide them .. they are harbouring terrorists inside out they are either plain stupid or they are serving a purpose for some one ... it isnt rocket science

Deport these illegals back to where they came from because these people are the reason for poverty and crime. They are also snatching the jobs off of the Pakistani citizens.

most ironic part is millions of unregistered illegals yet any unrest rub it on MQM !!

3.35 million illegal immigrants ... woof .. wtf , just wonder at times why the hel none in punjab ... forget illegals they are hostile to pushtoons as there are no massive settlements of pushtoons ... fail to understand which drain all the liberalism and pakistaniat flows when it comes to punjab .. thats very unfair
Yaar.... PML N ki MQM key saath fight kia huii tum porey punjab key peechey par gaye.....Forgod sake keep your local politics out of this.

Yaar.... PML N ki MQM key saath fight kia huii tum porey punjab key peechey par gaye.....Forgod sake keep your local politics out of this.

its not politics its a fact and if reveling facts is politics than name it watever yar ....i dont need to clearify but i have to say i am not a politician nor agent for any politician ,,, yeh eik simple sa sawal hai ... app kay pas jawab hai is ka ??

Both of these parties are riding on the back of illegal immigrants. ANP with Afghan pushtoons and MQM with illegal indians, burmese, nepalis and Bangladeshis.

There happens to be a lot of Dalit Hindus arriving from India to escape persecution. Where the the indian members to refute this?? Just a few days ago we had a thread where everyone would ridicule the idea of hindus arriving to Pakistan for better freedom.:flame::flame:

I have been to punjabs..Butt saabs are very cool..daily fresh lassi..and tikka boti!

its not politics its a fact and if reveling facts is politics than name it watever yar ....i dont need to clearify but i have to say i am not a politician nor agent for any politician ,,, yeh eik simple sa sawal hai ... app kay pas jawab hai is ka ??
Take it this way.... maybe Punjab Govt is doing a good job in keeping illegal immigrants out of their province.... While others are not.....

As far Pashtoon settlement are concerned (which you mean they are in Karachi so they should be in Punjab As well)..... IDTS.. Karachi have lot of job opportunities thats why lot of people go there to earn something for there family which led to large Pashtoon settlements....

Some Panjabis might be hostile to Pashtoons but i've never seen a mass murdering of Pashtoon in Punjab.....

Burmese Muslims are fleeing to Karachi because of what the government is doing to them but Afghani and Bangladeshi illegals have no right to be in Pakistan.
Dunno about Bangladesh but Afghani's probably have the best reason of any to come to Karachi. Over three decades of almost non-stop fighting sounds like pretty good reason to leave.

You can't blame the illegals here since they're trying to build a better life. You can blame the government for not keeping better control of the borders and coast. A lot of this hate for the illegals begins in good faith but ends up with racism.

Well it's not the fault of Punjab Govt if so many illegals are present in Karachi? It's the duty of Sindh Govt to control the flow of illegal immigrants.

Punjab is open for everyone. If you want to settle here, i don't think that anyone will stop you.

Back
Top Bottom