What's new

25% IAF’s AJT Hawks grounded for want of spare parts, says Antony

If we had to sign the deal now, Yak-130 would have easily won the tender.

For me another strong contender would have been Alenia Aermacchi M-346 based upon yak-130 this aircraft also gives a tough competition to its rivals , the only low is the relatively high price tag compared to yak-130 , the former costs around 21 million dollars but expected as the manufacturer is european so higher price shouldn't baffle one

For me another strong contender would have been Alenia Aermacchi M-346 based upon yak-130 this aircraft also gives a tough competition to its rivals , the only low is the relatively high price tag compared to yak-130 , the former costs around 21 million dollars but expected as the manufacturer is european so higher price shouldn't baffle one

Indo-Russia relation would have prevented us from going to M-346. After all we're going for an intermediate-Advanced trainer, not some multirole fighter, where little technological edge can be the difference between life and death.

just as i suspected long time ago. the so-called locally built with full ToT is just assemble imported knock-down kit . the MK1 and future rafale jets are no different. there's a reason why india need to send their MKI jets to russia for upgrade and repair..

If this is the case, we will see all the jets in IAF will experience different level of spare shortage.

The Sortie rate Will be very low.

I'm surprised that India can't build a senior AJt by itself.

India had the AJT Sitara project going, I know it met couple of accidents, not sure what happened to it after wards.
The chief test pilot associated with the AJT, also committed suicide.

just as i suspected long time ago. the so-called locally built with full ToT is just assemble imported knock-down kit . the MK1 and future rafale jets are no different. there's a reason why india need to send their MKI jets to russia for upgrade and repair..

.....ToT with HAL is just that. Assembling of british built parts ....also know as Screw driver technology.

However MKI is now thankfully being made in India with Indian parts.

Hopefully Rafale will be different if contract goes to private vendors instead of government owned HAL.

.....ToT with HAL is just that. Assembling of british built parts ....also know as Screw driver technology.

Hopefully Rafale will be different if contract goes to private vendors instead of government owned HAL.
Why India government has no saying in the subcontractor nomination? This kind BS will not be tolerated in China. This one is definitely out of control, totally pathetic. Shame on HaL

I remember an Indian member here mentioning that MKI's cost more when assembled or produced domestically rather than when bought off the shelves from Rosoboronexport ... Seems high unlikely to me but Is it true ?

That's why you don't understand what licence production means. You build certain parts in your own country, others will come from the origin country. MKI and MMRCA deals insted on a producing not only airframe parts, but also engine and radars in India, which is not usual for any licence production as well. Moreover, spare parts / upgrades are parts of the after sale support and don't include the licence production of the fighters of course. You don't licence produce every nut and bold in your own country, nor would any manufacturer support this, because we talk about constant support of 30 to 40 years and a huge ammount of money, which no country will simply give up.

Btw, India don't Russian origined fighters to Russia for repairs, we even do maintainance and repair, or partially supply spares for Mig 29s and Su 30s of other Asian countries.
The reason why Mig 29 and MKIs were send to Russia is, to develop a custom upgrade programm, that then will be finished in India as well. That's what we have done with Mig 21, 27, what we make with Jaguars and Mirage 2000s as well.

India had the AJT Sitara project going

Sitara is an IJT (intermediate jet trainer) not an AJT.

Why India government has no saying in the subcontractor nomination? This kind BS will not be tolerated in China. This one is definitely out of control, totally pathetic. Shame on HaL

The problem is Indian government has too much say in subcontractor nomination. It always nominates HAL as its owned by the government. :P

Just what is going on? What is BAE playing at? Do they not want the business or something??!! It is just lined boggling that at a time when the IAF is considering going for 20 more HAWKs for the IAF's SURYA KIRAN display team which would make India the biggest operator of the HAWK on the planet. You'd think BAE wod pull out all the stops. What is particularly odd is that this was an issue with the first 66 ordered too and BAE had promised better if India signed up for more (which it did with 57 more ordered) and signing a new spares deal. I just can't understand how this has happened.

....the obvious guess would be BAE is screwing IAF/HAL to get an maintenance contract for HAWK. That is where the real money is :cheesy:

don't worry IAF has more than your thoughts and they can even built a fleet of two types with another from France or else where...

who is planning to wage war with us ???:what:

Who do you think? Its quite evident that ppl are not arming themselves to the teeth just for show. When nations have come to a certain level, their posture will change. It is inevitable for despots and harsh regimes.

Back
Top Bottom