Yousuf certain to miss first Test

genmirajborgza786

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yousuf certain to miss first Test

Yousuf scored 1,788 runs in 2006 at an average of 99.33
Pakistan batsman Mohammad Yousuf has been ruled out of the first Test against South Africa and could miss the second because of a family illness.
Shoaib Malik (knee) will miss the first Test, starting in Centurion on Thursday and Umar Gul (ankle) is also a doubt.

Yousuf's pregnant wife needs surgery, either on 12 or 19 January, and he will join the team two days later.

"The management has assured him of their full support in this critical and important time," said a statement.

Yousuf, 32, passed Viv Richards' 30-year-old record of most runs in a calendar year and also set a new mark with nine Test hundreds.

He scored 1,788 runs from 19 innings in 2006 at an average of 99.33.

Richards' record, which had stood since 1976, was 1,710 runs in 12 months.

But shoaib's in......he is leaving to SA on the 1st available flight to replace injured Gul.

Again politics playing its part.:rolleyes:

Saw the report on this too. Shoaib played fine on a local match earning about 3 wickets, he was no way unfit!

It's not politics, Yusuf's expecting wife has developed some complications. If any Pakistani player ever had a genuine reason to sit out a match, this is it!

Shoiab is a good player and a good entertainer.I luv to see him bowl and his eagle fly every time he takes a wicket.

Yar cricket na hoi Indo-Pak war ho gayee :P
If hez not fit or have some personal problem so its ok.

U cant rely on one player.
instead u should have some same replacement for it. The lack of which should be worried about

It's not politics, Yusuf's expecting wife has developed some complications. If any Pakistani player ever had a genuine reason to sit out a match, this is it!

I ain't talking talking about Yousaf, i was pointing shoaibs issue, indeed there is lot of politics involved inside PCB, and there are facts to prove all this.

Pakistan's record-breaking batsman Mohammad Yousuf is likely to miss the first two Tests against South Africa this month due to surgery scheduled for his pregnant wife, an official said on Monday.

"Yousuf's wife has undergone some complications in her pregnancy and is due to undergo surgery on January 12," Pakistan Cricket Board director of communications, Ahsan Malik, said.

Doctors have said the operation may be delayed until January 19.

"If the operation is held on January 12, he would fly to South Africa on the 14th, but if it happens on January 19 he will miss the second Test as well," Malik added.

Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar will not be available for the first Test against South Africa which starts in Centurion on Thursday.

Shoaib has had "problems with his travel schedule", but will join the team before the second Test.

Shoaib had a two-year ban for taking nandrolone lifted in December after an appeal panel ruled he had never knowingly taken the banned substance.

He was called up on Monday after Umar Gul was ruled out with an ankle injury.

"Shoaib will not be able to leave before the first Test," said Saleem Altaf, director of cricket operations.

"But he will certainly join the team before the second test from 19 January."

Gul hurt his ankle in the three-day warm-up game with The Rest of South Africa and PCB communications director Ehsan Malik said: "The team management sent a request to the selectors to rush a replacement."

Pakistan are also without batsman Mohammad Yousuf and all-rounder Shoaib Malik for the match at Centurion Park.

Shoaib, 31, has not played for Pakistan since a one-day game against England in September, a month before he and fellow paceman Mohammad Asif returned positive tests.

"Physically he looks fit and I hope he delivers in South Africa," PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf said of Shoaib.

After his appeal was upheld, Shoaib was left out of the 17-man party after selectors felt he lacked match fitness but he has since bowled 21 overs in a first-class match, taking five wickets.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has challenged the decision of the appeal panel and the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) is likely to make a ruling within four months.

it will be good to see how pakistan get on without our record breaker and that too on seaming and bouncing wickets.

as for shoaib missing the 1st test we've got plenty of bowlers in the squad.

just heard that waqqar is steping a side from the captancy
from BBC. any news on this one

it will be good to see how pakistan get on without our record breaker and that too on seaming and bouncing wickets.

as for shoaib missing the 1st test we've got plenty of bowlers in the squad.

Well to be honest I have never thought Pak would have problems bowling........It's their ability to stick around when batting that is lacking(It really annoys me that people think highly of batsmen like "boom boom"). That's why they will miss Yousuf in the line up.

Well to be honest I have never thought Pak would have problems bowling........It's their ability to stick around when batting that is lacking(It really annoys me that people think highly of batsmen like "boom boom"). That's why they will miss Yousuf in the line up.

boom boom fires once in a blue moon, flat wickets yes he smashs the ball to all parts sometimes but no chance on south african wickets, too much seam movement.

Back
Top Bottom