What's new

Work harder to beat the Bangalore ,Beijing challenge: Obama to students

the Indian American community in America includes a huge number of second and third generation immigrants.....all the IIT graduates responsible for placing Silicon Valley at the technological peak that is today emmigrated from India in the 1960's and 1970's.....a huge number act as faculty members in the technological institutes like MIT ,Carnegie mellon, Philadelphia , Berkeley...etc...also
there was a survey conducted by a respectable American organization
which detailed the education levels of different ethnic groups ....they placed Jews and Indians at the first place with a huge majority of post graduate degree holders and Phd holders amongst us......

:cheers:

That's irrelevant. The original comment was not about ethnicity but about the supposed inferiority of the American education system. Second and third generation Indian Americans are educated in the American education system and count as Americans.

While nobody is disputing the contribution of Indian migrants, America achieved its technological superiority long before Indian migration.

Yes, that's probably why they lead the world in science and technology.

Developero:No one Is Undermining the Americans, There Education Standards have Changed due to Changing Life styles over the Period of time.. And There Education Levels Today are far too Inferior when compared to Asian Standards.. Indians and Chinese are Among the Good Quality Professional Class there, Its Due to this there professional Standards are decreasing and America Fears ,that If they would have to depend On Indians and Chinese for there Metabolism In Future

Something sensible coming out. Americans need to be less couch potato and more productive. As outsourcing will decline the Indian companies wil develop new services and markets to stay competitive. However outsourcing has transferred massive R/D to india for free.

No offense taken! Says Bangalore to Obama !!

Bangalore: US President, Barack Obama, has made it clear many times that he views India as an economic threat.

In his latest mention of Bangalore, while talking to students, he said, "When students around the world in Beijing, or Bangalore, are working harder than ever, your success in school is not just going to determine your success, it's going to determine America's success in the 21st century."

"The fact is that Indian students work harder. Clearly when the talent is a global talent - students all over the world have to work harder to be relevant to the workforce needs of tomorrow," said Pradeep Kar, from Microland.

"He's telling the American students, get as serious as the Indian students. So we don't depend on someone from other countries to run the business in America, either remotely or onsite," reacted Kiran K Desai, from Wipro Infotech.

Obama's latest reference to Bangalore comes on top of his earlier anti-outsourcing rhetoric - he did famously urge American companies to say No to Bangalore and Yes to Buffalo. Add to that the higher visa charges for Indian IT professionals heading to the United States, Ohio's recent ban on outsourcing by its state government - and it does seem that his stand could dampen India's profitable BPO and IT industry. There are reports that some US companies are delaying long-term business commitments. But others view Obama's statements as a spur.

"It is a validation from the President that India is an intellectual capital. I would look at it from a very positive perspective that we are the biggest country breeding intellectuals - that is why we are today an IT super power. He has his own concerns for his own country, but nothing will stop India from emerging as a superpower not only in IT but in other areas also. I have no concerns on this," said P Radhakrisnan, from Infotech.

Perhaps by mentioning Bangalore so often - Obama is actually giving a boost to the city's image as an IT powerhouse - and that can't be all bad.

Read more at: No offense taken! Says Bangalore to Obama

Developero:No one Is Undermining the Americans, There Education Standards have Changed due to Changing Life styles over the Period of time.. And There Education Levels Today are far too Inferior when compared to Asian Standards.. Indians and Chinese are Among the Good Quality Professional Class there, Its Due to this there professional Standards are decreasing and America Fears ,that If they would have to depend On Indians and Chinese for there Metabolism In Future

:rofl:

I keep hearing these stereotypes of fat, lazy Americans living off the genius and hard work of immigrants. That's just nonsense. Let me just dispel two myths right here:

- First, people claim that many (most?) university research assistants are Chinese/Indian. That may be true but it's not because these people are smarter than their American/European colleagues. It's only because the Americans find better paying jobs in industry, and the Europeans return home, while the Indians and Chinese work as cheap labor for the research professor and stick around to get their green cards.

- Secondly, launching a startup is ridiculously easy in the US. You can literally launch a startup in one afternoon, so all these statistics about immigrants launching startups are misleading.

What matters, ultimately, are research publications in basic science and patented technological products and, in these matters, Americans (of all ethnicities) are doing just fine without first-generation immigrants.

That's irrelevant. The original comment was not about ethnicity but about the supposed inferiority of the American education system. Second and third generation Indian Americans are educated in the American education system and count as Americans.

While nobody is disputing the contribution of Indian migrants, America achieved its technological superiority long before Indian migration.

as regards the bold part Sir I would like to bring up a line here...." Its hard to become the best for once but infinite times harder to remain so year after year...."

the technological superiority you are referring to was achieved in a world after WW2 and before the advent of the cold war....from the last 5 decades the American Academia.... people studying under the so called american education system seem to have considerably lost
interest in technological fields like engineering , pure science etc.....chosing to focus on subjects like arts , economics etc....

and it is this lack of quality engineers and several years later computer professionals ..that even today encourages U.S companies to hire technically skilled Indian " immigrants" as you put it.......

:rofl:

I keep hearing these stereotypes of fat, lazy Americans living off the genius and hard work of immigrants. That's just nonsense. Let me just dispel two myths right here:

- First, people claim that many (most?) university research assistants are Chinese/Indian. That may be true but it's not because these people are smarter than their American/European colleagues. It's only because the Americans find better paying jobs in industry, and the Europeans return home, while the Indians and Chinese work as cheap labor for the research professor and stick around to get their green cards.

- Secondly, launching a startup is ridiculously easy in the US. You can literally launch a startup in one afternoon, so all these statistics about immigrants launching startups are misleading.

What matters, ultimately, are research publications in basic science and patented technological products and, in these matters, Americans (of all ethnicities) are doing just fine without first-generation immigrants.

Well, If Your Statements are true, then The American President has No reason to be Concerned About India and China's Growth, Both In terms of Education and Economy.... There Must Be Something Which Must Be Poking Him Beneath his Cushioned seats.. Isnt It???

my dear friend 38% of the scientists in NASA are Indians and Chinese, silicon valley prefers indian and chinese students over the americans because of their vast knowledge and hardwork , and thats why obama is worried, its only that we guys dont get recognized for what we do, i doubt if there students can even clear the AIEEE exam here and of course not forgetting the IIT exam which along with indian officers selection test known as the SSB is considered the hardest exam in the world:wave:

These kind of jingoistic posts trouble me greatly. Your first sentence is just another urban legend predominantly making the round to email id's of Indians & occasionally managing to fool even cabinet ministers who repeat the same in Parliament. The rest of your post has only one problem-Reality! India may be the future but America is the present! Talking of an english speaking, privately schooled Indian elite & comparing them to an average American & trying to extrapolate some findings to a wider population is fraught with danger, to put it mildly! Mocking Americans while trying to emulate them seems to have become something of a national past time.

This was best expressed by Jairam Ramesh when he said that one of the Indian elite's favourite slogans is " Yankee Go home & take me with you".

as regards the bold part Sir I would like to bring up a line here...." Its hard to become the best for once but infinite times harder to remain so year after year...."

the technological superiority you are referring to was achieved in a world after WW2 and before the advent of the cold war....from the last 5 decades the American Academia.... people studying under the so called american education system seem to have considerably lost
interest in technological fields like engineering , pure science etc.....chosing to focus on subjects like arts , economics etc....

and it is this lack of quality engineers and several years later computer professionals ..that even today encourages U.S companies to hire technically skilled Indian " immigrants" as you put it.......

You are absolutely right about the secondary effects of outsourcing. Enrolment in technical fields, especially computer science, is down across the board in America. But that's a matter of quantity, not quality.

It will be interesting to see its effects in the coming decades.

Well, If Your Statements are true, then The American President has No reason to be Concerned About India and China's Growth, Both In terms of Education and Economy.... There Must Be Something Which Must Be Poking Him Beneath his Cushioned seats.. Isnt It???

He's just giving a pep talk to the kids, nothing more.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right about the secondary effects of outsourcing. Enrolment in technical fields, especially computer science, is down across the board in America. But that's a matter of quantity, not quality.

It will be interesting to see its effects in the coming decades.

He's just giving a pep talk to the kids, nothing more.

Pep talk:blink:

Is this first time he speak about it. The day he become president he always start worry about India china and japan:D

The problem in India is not the education, but the social pressures. Mostly, all engineering students have so much pressure to find a job even before they graduate that their mindsets are never focused at research. The instruction and curriculum doesn't help either, for example when I was doing my engineering, the last two semester's curriculum was set by IBM which prepared you for the job market but not research. As long as the research culture does not tricle down to colleges it will not help.

However things are changing. IBM's biggest research center is in India now, same with GE and many other companies. The other thing helping India is the number of MS and PHDs that come back to work in India. Its going to be a long process but is surely happening. Put Indians in the correct atmosphere and you see the difference, be it with intel or MicroSoft or Sun.

The other innvovative trend I'm seeing is with research related to defense. Just google which small, unknown univ Dr Kalam visit twice..so did Dr V. K Aate ;) ..why would they visit this univ of all the univs? Who is this prof involved and where does he get all his funding ;)
PS: Its an american univ of course :)

These kind of jingoistic posts trouble me greatly. Your first sentence is just another urban legend predominantly making the round to email id's of Indians & occasionally managing to fool even cabinet ministers who repeat the same in Parliament. The rest of your post has only one problem-Reality! India may be the future but America is the present! Talking of an english speaking, privately schooled Indian elite & comparing them to an average American & trying to extrapolate some findings to a wider population is fraught with danger, to put it mildly! Mocking Americans while trying to emulate them seems to have become something of a national past time.

This was best expressed by Jairam Ramesh when he said that one of the Indian elite's favourite slogans is " Yankee Go home & take me with you".

:lol:

Yes, we need to kill that rumour. It makes us look bad. It is true that NASA employs a HUGE number of Indians and Chinese, but we don't have exact numbers, so let us not put a percentage to it.

I do think, however, that the part about "Yankee go home and take me with you" is slowly changing. The "Amreeka" craze has significantly reduced, and more people are opting to work in cities like Bangalore and Hyderabad, buying property right here and settling down early in life.

I see very positive signs, and they can only get better!

Part of outsourcing is the fact that americans dont want answer phones and code like robots for a living. They want to be productive and innovative for better living standards.

seriously,american students beating us, these kids learn newtons laws at their 12th grade, while we have them on our lips since class 5, america should change its education system if it wants to beat us

We are getting work do to cost abundance of educated labor no because we have better education system.

Back
Top Bottom