What's new

Why China's upcoming visit should be viewed w/ caution.

So why did Obama bow before Hu Jintao?

Perhaps he forgot to read up about Chinese culture, and just assumed it was the same as Japanese culture? That's what you call culturally clueless.

Well I didn't know he bowed to Hu Jintao, but my post was in the context of the Tea-Party's argument...That bowing to a foreign leader signifies "weakness" on Obama's part. What would a bunch of rednecks who have placards saying "No Communist Tsars" (little did they know that the Communists overthrew the Tsars) know about the significance behind Obama's gesture to the Japanese.

Hell, I bow when I meet elderly people; as a sign of respect for their age and(wisdom?:P ). It need not be reciprocated, but I do it anyways.Anyways..my post was in the context of the tea-party rethoric(especially the message conveyed by the Video I replied to)

Well I didn't know he bowed to Hu Jintao, but my post was in the context of the Tea-Party's argument...That bowing to a foreign leader signifies "weakness" on Obama's part. What would a bunch of rednecks who have placards saying "No Communist Tsars" (little did they know that the Communists overthrew the Tsars) know about the significance behind Obama's gesture to the Japanese.

Hell, I bow when I meet elderly people; as a sign of respect for their age and(wisdom?:P ). It need not be reciprocated, but I do it anyways.Anyways..my post was in the context of the tea-party rethoric(especially the message conveyed by the Video I replied to)

He didn't just bow to Hu Jintao, but also to Wen Jiabao.

We aren't Japanese, we are Zhong guo ren.

Obama+bows+Hu+Jintao+4+12+10.jpg

I suppose it was a mistake, but then I was responding to your comment about people being "culturally clueless". Don't you think it works both ways in this context?

Oh, an old friend. I remember you, now I am back~~. It seems here is more peaceful than before. By the way where is greyboy?

Mny of guys the just dissapeared,many got banned themselves,anyway how was ur India trip,hope u did not met any other waiter who believed to b an inferior:lol:

who is more powerful in china,Hu or wen?If Forbes is to b believed the answer must b Hu,but seems Wen is also very powerful

They are both very powerful in China, and Hu is more powerful than Wen.

However, the "Standing Committee of the Politburo" is far stronger than any individual.

India has a good export for its size and we make quality products but everyone has to care about about chinese second class products as they are cheap. :lol:

who care about yr export size or what ever quality u can produce , all i care about is we can continue export junks to yr country, and having 2x the trade deficit with yr country, by the look of thing the trade deficit might end up 3x after wen visit.

thank you super power and shinning india........:yahoo::yahoo::rofl:

He didn't just bow to Hu Jintao, but also to Wen Jiabao.

We aren't Japanese, we are Zhong guo ren.

Obama+bows+Hu+Jintao+4+12+10.jpg

I suppose it was a mistake, but then I was responding to your comment about people being "culturally clueless". Don't you think it works both ways in this context?

sure, but my reply was in response to the video the poster I replied to posted. It had a picture of Obama bowing to the Japanese emperor, and it reminded me of the huge brouhaha it generated here.

I really didn't think of Obama bowing to the Chinese when I made that post. Btw, to be honest; from the picture you posted imho it looks more like a nod of (mutual) respect from Obama's side. I do the same when I meet new people. In my book, a "Bow" per se is more in the ballpark of what Obama did to the Japanese Emperor.
Having said that, Is this the lowest point of his bow(the pic you posted) or was the pic taken as he was straightening up. If this was the lowest he did, its probably counted as a nod of respect in my book, as i said earlier.

I agree he should have refrained from doing so when meeting with the Chinese, ...but then again personal views differ as to what constitutes a bow and what constitutes a nod
:)

sure, but my reply was in response to the video the poster I replied to posted. It had a picture of Obama bowing to the Japanese emperor, and it reminded me of the huge brouhaha it generated here.

I really didn't think of Obama bowing to the Chinese when I made that post. Btw, to be honest; from the picture you posted imho it looks more like a nod of (mutual) respect from Obama's side. I do the same when I meet new people. In my book, a "Bow" per se is more in the ballpark of what Obama did to the Japanese Emperor.
Having said that, Is this the lowest point of his bow(the pic you posted) or was the pic taken as he was straightening up. If this was the lowest he did, its probably counted as a nod of respect in my book, as i said earlier.

I agree he should have refrained from doing so when meeting with the Chinese, ...but then again personal views differ as to what constitutes a bow and what constitutes a nod
:)

I don't know much about the Tea-party apart from what I get through internet videos, and they seem a bit nuts is all I can say. You can bring me up to speed on this part of the discussion if you like, I am curious about that as well.

Notice that neither Hu Jintao nor Wen Jiabao are returning the bow/deep-nod, because that's not how it works in this culture.

I see from your user name that you are interested in Japanese culture, while it's true that there are some similarities (such as the writing system), there are also many differences.

If Obama made these two mistakes then I don't hold it against him, but it is something to think about when discussing the issue of cultural confusion. He is not the first, and won't be the last to make that mistake.

well, i am not expecting much from this visit, lets see what will come out of it...!

So, why the whole world keep on purchasing them to make china rich.:cheesy: And I havnt seen any product made in india during my past 30 years life except curry.:coffee:

lol We also didn't seen chinese products few years back what does it mean? before china, germany was the largest exporter instead of US or Japan both does it mean to you? you know nothing about this. the people are buying chinese products because they are cheap and keeping the yuan artificially low to help its exporters.

I don't know much about the Tea-party apart from what I get through internet videos, and they seem a bit nuts is all I can say. You can bring me up to speed on this part of the discussion if you like, I am curious about that as well.

Notice that neither Hu Jintao nor Wen Jiabao are returning the bow/deep-nod, because that's not how it works in this culture.

I see from your user name that you are interested in Japanese culture, while it's true that there are some similarities (such as the writing system), there are also many differences.

If Obama made these two mistakes then I don't hold it against him, but it is something to think about when discussing the issue of cultural confusion. He is not the first, and won't be the last to make that mistake.

I see your point regarding Obama's nod/bow to the Chinese heads of state. He should be more aware.

As for the tea-party...well lets just say that they are a bunch of nuts comprising of members from the far-right, the religious-fundies, and ultra-capitalist camps. Their claim is that the government is useless and the more privatization one sees..the better...and oh yeah....while they are at it they would also bring back a total ban on abortion....would support the inclusion of religion(read as christianity) into politics, ban equal rights for same sex couples..and would rather that America act as world policeman. To top it all, they are clueless about the rest of the world. :sick:

If they have their say, America would cease to exist within 10 years.lol

As for my Id, well I like world history/geography in general, however, I chose this particular one because I'm a martial arts practitioner(as a hobby) and the ones I have been able to experience till now are from Japan(Karate, Aikido, kendo). Thus when I chose this name I took the Ancient Japanese name for south Asia(India) and merged it with a martial arts term. :cheesy:

:D

As for the tea-party...well lets just say that they are a bunch of nuts comprising of members from the far-right, the religious-fundies, and ultra-capitalist camps. Their claim is that the government is useless and the more privatization one sees..the better...and oh yeah....while they are at it they would also bring back a total ban on abortion....would support the inclusion of religion(read as christianity) into politics, ban equal rights for same sex couples..and would rather that America act as world policeman. To top it all, they are clueless about the rest of the world. :sick:

If they have their say, America would cease to exist within 10 years.lol

They sound bad lol. I heard they support Palin, can you tell me does Palin have any chance at all of becoming the next President?

As for my Id, well I like world history/geography in general, however, I chose this particular one because I'm a martial arts practitioner(as a hobby) and the ones I have been able to experience till now are from Japan(Karate, Aikido, kendo). Thus when I chose this name I took the Ancient Japanese name for south Asia(India) and merged it with a martial arts term. :cheesy:

:D

That's interesting, could you give me the characters for your user name? Or just tell me what the separate words mean and I can look it up.

They sound bad lol. I heard they support Palin, can you tell me does Palin have any chance at all of becoming the next President?

Palin has no chance, but as a democrat, I wish she runs for the republican party primaries(where they choose their presidential candidate to represent their party, based on votes). If she runs, then chances are that she might get elected to represent to republican party...ergo the opposition for Obama. an Obama vs Palin election is a dream we would like to come true :D. lol...and some other republicans fear exactly that..because she stands no chance against Obama.

That's interesting, could you give me the characters for your user name? Or just tell me what the separate words mean and I can look it up.

My apologies for not including the info in my previous post. Its made up of Tenjiku+ Kensei

from Wiki
Tenjiku (天竺?) (meaning "center of heaven"[1])is the obsolete Japanese word for ancient India. It is used in such works as the Japanese translation of Journey to the West.

Kensei

In ancient Japan, a kensei (剣聖?, sword's saint; sometimes rendered in English as Kensai, Ken Sai, Kansei, or Kenshei) was an honorary title given to a warrior of legendary skill in swordsmanship. The literal translation of "kensei" is "sword saint".

Haha, its ok if you chuckle:P Even I think my ID is cheesy , but hey..lol I like it that way :D

Palin has no chance, but as a democrat, I wish she runs for the republican party primaries(where they choose their presidential candidate to represent their party, based on votes). If she runs, then chances are that she might get elected to represent to republican party...ergo the opposition for Obama. an Obama vs Palin election is a dream we would like to come true :D. lol...and some other republicans fear exactly that..because she stands no chance against Obama.

I don't know who is worse for China to be honest, Democrats or Republicans. Which one is better for India?

Your user name is interesting, I have heard of Kensai before. Much more interesting than my user name, my user name was designed to put across the point that Chinese dragons (and other East Asian dragons) are actually nothing at all like Western dragons, which are considered evil.

Chinese dragons on the other hand are wise and benevolent creatures. Although some do have a temper like "Shenlong" (written Shenron in Japanese).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom