What's new

Which one is your favorite Bengali cuisine?

mine is

Fish Paturi or Steamed Fish in Banana Leaf Parce
paturi.jpg

My maternal grandmother makes very tasty paturi but my mother can't. Whenever my nani comes to our house we insist her to make Paturi. I like choto macher Paturi. I don't like Paturi of big fishes.

Mourala+mach.jpg

My maternal grandmother makes very tasty paturi but my mother can't. Whenever my nani comes to our house we insist her to make Paturi. I like choto macher Paturi. I don't like Paturi of big fishes.

Mourala+mach.jpg

i belongs to north india....north indian cury they don't use posto and musterd........it is only use in bihar, west bengal and BD,i test all this in Chittagong......i lived there 4 year......

I have had bengali food on occasions, I am not a big fan of it, especially after eating pakistan/north indian mughal cuisine. Bengalis simply can not compete with that type of flavor and cooking

South Indian food is unique though, that's why I liked it

I have had bengali food on occasions, I am not a big fan of it, especially after eating pakistan/north indian mughal cuisine. Bengalis simply can not compete with that type of flavor and cooking

Actually Bengali cuisine largely consists of fish dishes, mishti (sweets) and pitha (baked / fried cake). There is no other part in the subcontinent which can compete with Bengal when it comes to fish dishes and sweets. Infact Indian dessert is largely dominated by Bengali sweets. It is unique to Bengal. Infact for fish dominance in Bengali cuisine we are called 'Mache Bhate Bangali'. (fish and rice make a Bengali). If you like fish and sweets then you will like Bengali cuisine.

2740960284_8e46503970.jpg

800px-Pitha_for_Wedding-_Pakan%2C_Patishapta%2C_Bharandash.jpg

I LOVE fish. So its a matter of shame for me to admit I've not tried Bengali style Hilsa (Ilish).

Does anyone now a good place to get it in Dubai, Singapore, Mumbai or Bangkok?

You have to try sorshe mach. Its basically fish curry with "gravy" made with grounded mustard, chilli, onion and tomatoes/yogurt. Its amazing.

@Syed Naved .. what is your favourite bengali food...

Ilish Fry, Kathal ki curry and daal,any kind of saag curry like palang paneer,laal saag,sarson ki saag and surely Daal .
Gosht se zyada sabji,daal hi mujhe pasand hai. And I like sabji fry on ghee. I think nothing is as good than pure ghee , its better than soya been oil .

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom is from Odisha. She makes really great fish curry especially Illishi macha tarkari. There is a lot of similarities between Bengalis and Odias. Odia people just love their fish. Any restaurant in Bhubaneshwar even a small road side eatery serves really great fish.

My favorites

Illishi macha tarkari

DSC08035s.jpg

Macha bhaja

FishFry-300x200.jpg

Actually Bengali cuisine largely consists of fish dishes, mishti (sweets) and pitha (baked / fried cake). There is no other part in the subcontinent which can compete with Bengal when it comes to fish dishes and sweets. Infact Indian dessert is largely dominated by Bengali sweets. It is unique to Bengal. Infact for fish dominance in Bengali cuisine we are called 'Mache Bhate Bangali'. (fish and rice make a Bengali). If you like fish and sweets then you will like Bengali cuisine.

2740960284_8e46503970.jpg

800px-Pitha_for_Wedding-_Pakan%2C_Patishapta%2C_Bharandash.jpg

they look like mehdi designs:tongue:

north and east has different ways of cooking and both are awsome..

Back
Top Bottom