What's new

What Liu Xiaobo said that will BLOW YOUR MIND

Sounds like a Chinese Chomsky.

Assuming he hasn't done anything to materially bring China under the control of a foreign power (Chinese democracy does not implicitly mean control by a foreign power), but spoke/protested he shouldn't be arrested.

More importantly he wasn't arrested until 2008, which means these words were by no means the reason for his arrest.

His past views can't be held as a rebuttal to his present views.

He was arrested for supporting Chinese democracy, Chinese freedom of speech/press and opposing authoritarianism, not for hating how China was 20 years ago.

Sounds like a Chinese Chomsky.

Noam Chomsky?

More importantly he wasn't arrested until 2008, which means these words were by no means the reason for his arrest.

Face it, he was arrested for supporting Chinese democracy, Chinese freedom of speech/press and opposing authoritarianism, not for hating how China was 20 years ago.

Of course, in fact I said that on the first page. He wasn't arrested for saying these stupid things, he was arrested for trying to overturn the Government in favour of multi-party democracy.

The point is that he was never really popular with the Chinese people in the first place, which is why giving him the Nobel Prize backfired in terms of public perceptions.

Noam Chomsky?

Of course, in fact I said that on the first page. He wasn't arrested for saying these stupid things, he was arrested for trying to overturn the Government in favour of multi-party democracy.

The point is that he was never really popular with the Chinese people in the first place, which is why giving him the Nobel Prize backfired in terms of public perceptions.

Fair points, and the charter can be argued to be a material aid to those who want to overturn the current government in favor of a multi party democracy.

Honestly the charge leveled against him, subversion of state power, is something he was guilty of, but it is difficult for those who live within a society where open dissent (whether ignorant or educated) is tolerated to view this law as right/just/fair.

Likewise many tend to attribute to the 'West' more unity in purpose and technological wizardry (haarp anyone?), as well as outright maliciousness than is really there.

It's quite interesting how the difference in culture between the US (let alone the 'West' when it has a unity of purpose) and China drives relations.

Definitely worthy of study, if a little bit of a sticky topic.

Noam Chomsky?

He was quite unknow to general public befor that. But I won't go that far as Nobel prize backfire on him. More like it's CCP's reaction backfire on them on this issue. Like what BBC one reporter("Simons" something...The guy is quite old,and for my opinion mostly quite bias in his story abou China)put it,they could have take a lesson from Iran. Give a "happy" face first,then when west forget about the person,arrest him(her in iranian case).No one in the west would care.

Once again not CCP's best PR work. :hitwall:

Back
Top Bottom