What's new

Visit to Qatif - Saudi Arabia

somebozo

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I am on my business trip to Eastern Province as usual and my host happens to be prominent Shia from Qatif so I had the chance to be hosted and discover a new place. If anyone wants to ask questions or clarify doubts you are most welcome.

Much of the Qatif is doing good and normal. No signs of protest or rebellion, people are highly content except for a few streets which have traditionally been no go areas due to their high crime rates.

The hospitality of Qatif people is truly remarkable and food is really good.

A lot of Shia freely express their religious symbolism, no problems at all. They have even got "Ya Ali" stickers on their cars - no problem..

When asked, a lot of people did complain about foreign meddling and exploitation of backward youth by Iranian agents which is giving the entire community a bad name.

When asked about Nimr al Nimr, many people raised face expressions of unpleasant topic and compared him to Osama binladen.

Overall there is no atmosphere of Shia-Sunni tensions, but a few bigots do exist on individual level. I had a great time in Qatif.

The overall average Joe of Qatif happens to be much more educated and hard working than compared to other regions of Saudi Arabia. People are generally very humble compared to other regions of Saudi Arabia and very willing to help be it road side assistance or moving some heavy loads.

Something I disliked about Qatif is the culture of holding gatherings on the road - it looks extremely uncivilized.

Anything else feel free to ask!

For those who love to post on protests in Awamiyah

Well almost entire eastern region is Shia dominated and out all this, Awamiyah is one most insignificant town which has very low approval rating among the residents of other parts of Eastern Region. The inhabitants of Awamiyah have very poor reputation for being backward, arrogant, drug addicts, illegal weapon peddlers and petty thieves. It is surprising to think that our of entire eastern region, this one insignificant town happens to be an epicenter of anti-regime protest.

Awamiyah is also a strong hold of Nimr Al Nimr and I am yet to find someone who is pleased with this man in this region. He has earned the nick name of "Shia Binladen" by no other than the Shia community of this region. An important point to note is that everybody agrees that Shia are faced with problems in KSA and need a state level solution and many hold Iran directly responsible for this. Before the Ayatollah take over, the situation was much better than now.

Awamiyah is a town where an unfamiliar soul shall not drive down at night or lest risk being robbed or killed. It is truly a "crime town".

Two killed after arrest of ‘instigator’ in Al-Awamiyah

Ahmad Abdullah
Saudi Gazette

JEDDAH — Two people were killed Sunday following the arrest of a “seditious instigator” in the Eastern Province town of Al-Awamiyah, the Ministry of Interior said.

The instigator, Nimr Baqir Al-Nimr, was arrested Sunday evening following a gun battle. Al-Nimr and his followers opened fire on security officers trying to arrest him, the ministry said.

“Security authorities were notified by a nearby medical center of the arrival of four individuals brought in by their relatives,” Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki, the ministry spokesman, said.

“Two of them were dead, the other two were slightly injured. Competent authorities initiated investigations of the incident,” Al-Turki said.

Al-Nimr was injured in the exchange of fire. He was later overpowered and taken to a hospital for treatment. He now faces charges of sedition, Al-Turki said.

“In the aftermath of the arrest ... a limited number of people assembled in the town of Al-Awamiyah,” the Interior Ministry statement said. “Gun shots were heard in random areas of the town. However, there was no security confrontation whatsoever.”

Al-Nimr’s arrest follows complaints from several Qatif residents that he was instigating sedition and delivering speeches encouraging youth to disturb the peace. Acting on the orders of foreign powers seeking to disrupt the peace, the 54-year-old instigator has been accused of encouraging youth with criminal records to rise against the government, sources said.

Al-Nimr even called for some regions to secede from the Kingdom.

Al-Nimr’s wife is being treated for cancer in the United States at the expense of the Kingdom while one of his sons received a scholarship from the government to study abroad.

What kind of gatherings on the road?

Should have taken some pictures ..

i am surprised this thread has not attached the campaigners of eastern province sympathizers.

I been Qatif several times when I use to live in Dammam. They use to have great fish market.

What a paradise Qatif is!We didn't know people are so happy in there!
Iranian agents huh?I'm not surprised,again using Iran as excuse to oppress people.So people dislike Nimr-al nimr?Then why did hundreds of them come to streets protesting his arrest?
Somebozo: You are not a reliable source for this trip stories,before all this,you have always supported Saudi authorities and bashed Iran,so I'm not surprised if the story is biased.
Stop blaming Iran for your problems,and stand for those problems and try to fix them.
When I was in Saudi Arabia,I also talked to few Shias in there,they were complaining too.So,the words of few people can not necessarily represent the reality.
If I remember well,few weeks back,you were saying most Shias in eastern province are backward people only seeking trouble.Now what happened?Suddenly they became the good guys?

Iranian agents huh?I'm not surprised,again using Iran as excuse to oppress people.So people dislike Nimr-al nimr?Then why did hundreds of them come to streets protesting his arrest?
Somebozo: You are not a reliable source for this trip stories,before all this,you have always supported Saudi authorities and bashed Iran,so I'm not surprised if the story is biased.
Stop blaming Iran for your problems,and stand for those problems and try to fix them.
When I was in Saudi Arabia,I also talked to few Shias in there,they were complaining too.So,the words of few people can not necessarily represent the reality.
If I remember well,few weeks back,you were saying most Shias in eastern province are backward people only seeking trouble.Now what happened?Suddenly they became the good guys?

You've exposed his lies. Liars are full of contradictions.

Yes hundreds did come out of their homes - to file complain against him....Nimr al Nimr strong hold is Awamiyah - a thug town one shouldnt be driving by at night.

Yes hundreds did come out of their homes - to file complain against him....Nimr al Nimr strong hold is Awamiyah - a thug town one should be driving by at night.

"A thug town" !!!!! I thought the whole state of SA was ruled by a bunch of thugs!

Back
Top Bottom