What's new

Very sad if India boycotted London Olympics: British PM

It would be more effective if India run a global campaign from now to make other countries boycott the Olympics as well. If India could get atleast a few more countries and boycott it then it would make the Olympics a failure or will force the British gov. to give up its colonial speeches and throw out DOW from sponsorship. Just look at how Cameroon has talked down to Indians here. They have basically said, we do not care if you come or not and is going to be just "sad", but we will protect DOW against Indians. That is why I think colonialism is still alive and thriving.

I think you should read the post by @InvincibleINDIAN... think from the perspective of the atheletes who have toiled hard to get a chance to play at the Olympics...

There are other ways of protesting as I mentioned above... that would give much higher media coverage against Dow, rather than just abstaining from the games.

what the fcuk … when this athletes are bigger than the people of the country ?

You people should have seen the tragedy to understand it... even today..this people are asking for justice and compensation but for no avail...

what would have been the bigger protest if we as a nation boycott the Olympics together and stand for the rightful demands....

I am not wondering now why the moral fabric of our society is withering

You people should have seen the tragedy to understand it... even today..this people are asking for justice and compensation but for no avail...
what would have been the bigger protest if we as a nation boycott the Olympics together and stand for the rightful demands....

Look buddy, I am not against protesting or drawing a movement against Dow... The Bhopal tragedy tantamounts to genocide and I fully support the right to protest, but abstaining from the games will get a less of an impact compared to participating in the games and protesting with black badges against Dow.

And FYI, India is not considering staying out of the games... only boycotting the opening and closing ceremonies along with some other official events.

Possibility of Indian boycott of Olympic opening ceremony grows | Sport | The Guardian
The government has written to the International Olympic Committee asking for the sponsorship to be dropped and, according to reports in India on Wednesday, was on the verge of boycotting not only the opening and closing ceremonies but other official events related to the Games.

tell me one thing. Dow chemicals bought union Carbide recently (last 5-10 yrs). Dow has nothing to do with this tragedy. How to resolve this?

Maybe Indians can go to Iranians first to support them in this regard as well as well as get some guts from them for this action. That is a good place to start.

tell me one thing. Dow chemicals bought union Carbide recently (last 5-10 yrs). Dow has nothing to do with this tragedy. How to resolve this?

When a company buys another company, they buy both assets and liability. The responsibility of compensation for the crime that Union Carbide did passes on as a liability for the current owner, hence the pressure on Dow.

Look buddy, I am not against protesting or drawing a movement against Dow... The Bhopal tragedy tantamounts to genocide and I fully support the right to protest, but abstaining from the games will get a less of an impact compared to participating in the games and protesting with black badges against Dow.

And FYI, India is not considering staying out of the games... only boycotting the opening and closing ceremonies along with some other official events.

Possibility of Indian boycott of Olympic opening ceremony grows | Sport | The Guardian

Symbolic boycott ..my foot. India should boycott the Olympics altogether. Even the foreigners had resigned of the issue from so many committees who are looking after the event. Are we Indians are so low esteem can't stand with our own people ?

Boycott the Olympics and take the support the other countries also who feel the same. I Hope other countries will take the stand especially south Asian countries.

Symbolic boycott ..my foot. India should boycott the Olympics altogether. Even the foreigners had resigned of the issue from so many committees who are looking after the event. Are we Indians are so low esteem can't stand with our own people ?

Boycott the Olympics and take the support the other countries also who feel the same. I Hope other countries will take the stand especially south Asian countries.

Various countries have boycotted Olympics for various reasons and the history has taken note of it. That is the most important part.

When a company buys another company, they buy both assets and liability. The responsibility of compensation for the crime that Union Carbide did passes on as a liability for the current owner, hence the pressure on Dow.
a compensation of 470 million was paid to the indian govt, i think.

Its not all about bigger or shorter. Protests always being carry out to bring in everyone's notice nothing else.

Olympics will take place and DOW would be the sponsor. India will not send their delegation but finally Indian players would be the sufferer.

Its not all about bigger or shorter. Protests always being carry out to bring in everyone's notice nothing else.

Olympics will take place and DOW would be the sponsor. India will not send their delegation but finally Indian players would be the sufferer.

And why don't you talk about the suffering of thousands of people since 1984 ? Sportsmen will get plenty of chances in their life...

I think India can boycott. It's not like it wins tons of medals at these events anyway.

I think India can boycott. It's not like it wins tons of medals at these events anyway.

It is not about medals sir...and should not be like this.. it is about standing for the right things for which you feel strongly about it.

I would say play in the games and show the world by wearing black badges against Dow. That would be even more efficient than staying away from the game.
that is a good idea :tup:

boycotting the games will indirectly punish our athletes so not an effective strategy.

Back
Top Bottom