What's new

Very sad if India boycotted London Olympics: British PM

Shardul.....the lion

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: British prime minister David Cameron has said he would be "very sad" if India boycotted the London Olympics following the row over sponsorship of the event by Dow Chemicals, linked to the Bhopal Gas tragedy of 1984.

However, Cameron dubbed Dow Chemicals as a "reputable company" and said he did not want to see the Olympics used for industrial or political purposes.

"It would be a very sad day," he told Karan Thapar on Devil's Advocate programme on CNN-IBN when asked about a possible boycott by India of the London Olympics.

Cameron said he felt "huge sympathy" for those injured and killed in the Bhopal gas disaster but insisted boycotting the Olympics was not the "right action".

"By all means, take up the issue with the International Olympics Committee (IOC) but a boycott will not be the right action. I will be very sad for Indian athletes, sad for India, Britain, of course. I will be desperately sad. But I cannot tell people to come. I have fulfilled all my responsibilities. I hope the Indian athletes will come," he said.

Cameron said his responsibilities were to make sure that the Olympics were properly staged and to ensure that all the athletes feel welcome.

He said Britain and India were "old friends and old partners" and British athletes had enjoyed participating in the 2010 Commonwealth Games held in Delhi.

"Obviously, people have a difficulty with individual Olympics sponsors. I don't happen to share that view in the way you put it. People who do (have a problem) may take it up with the IOC and they have to make their own decisions," he said.

Asked whether the sporting event could be an ideal opportunity to make Dow realise its responsibilities towards Bhopal victims, he said it was for the people to make their own decisions and to take up their own choices.

"What I am saying as British prime minister wanting to see the Olympics to be successful is I want to see the Olympics not used for industrial or political or other purposes. I cannot see a problem with International Olympic Committee (IOC) being sponsored by Dow," he said.

After Indian Olympic Association failed to convince the IOC to drop Dow Chemicals as the London Games' sponsor, a "dismayed" Indian Government asked the IOC to "go beyond lesser considerations" and cancel the deal.

Cameron pointed out that Dow Chemicals was not the owner of Union Carbide when the gas disaster took place.

He also made it clear that the sponsorship of the Olympics was done by the IOC. "It is their decision making process. I do not criticise their decision making process," he said.

On Eurofighter losing the bid to sell fighter aircraft to India, Cameron said he was disappointed and still felt that it was the best aircraft and would continue to press for it.

Asked whether the decision had affected the ties between India and Britain, he replied in the negative.

Cameron also defended the proposed hike in university fees saying it was necessary to ensure that British institutes maintain high standards of education.

Very sad if India boycotted London Olympics: British PM - The Times of India

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

I dont think so India has guts to boycott olympics.

Waise bhi olympic mein jake ek ya do medal hi jeetna, kaun sa 20-25 medal leke aana hai...

bhopal-tragedy-pablo-bartholomew.png

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

indians are developing a habit of mixing politics with sports......This is against the spirit of sports. india :tdown:

no matter sports or military,we should stand with our fellow beings

Only USSR and USA were only countries who could lead a boycott of the Olympics.

NEW DELHI: British prime minister David Cameron has said he would be "very sad" if India boycotted the London Olympics following the row over sponsorship of the event by Dow Chemicals, linked to the Bhopal Gas tragedy of 1984.

However, Cameron dubbed Dow Chemicals as a "reputable company" and said he did not want to see the Olympics used for industrial or political purposes.

"It would be a very sad day," he told Karan Thapar on Devil's Advocate programme on CNN-IBN when asked about a possible boycott by India of the London Olympics.

Cameron said he felt "huge sympathy" for those injured and killed in the Bhopal gas disaster but insisted boycotting the Olympics was not the "right action".

"By all means, take up the issue with the International Olympics Committee (IOC) but a boycott will not be the right action. I will be very sad for Indian athletes, sad for India, Britain, of course. I will be desperately sad. But I cannot tell people to come. I have fulfilled all my responsibilities. I hope the Indian athletes will come," he said.

Cameron said his responsibilities were to make sure that the Olympics were properly staged and to ensure that all the athletes feel welcome.

He said Britain and India were "old friends and old partners" and British athletes had enjoyed participating in the 2010 Commonwealth Games held in Delhi.

"Obviously, people have a difficulty with individual Olympics sponsors. I don't happen to share that view in the way you put it. People who do (have a problem) may take it up with the IOC and they have to make their own decisions," he said.

Asked whether the sporting event could be an ideal opportunity to make Dow realise its responsibilities towards Bhopal victims, he said it was for the people to make their own decisions and to take up their own choices.

"What I am saying as British prime minister wanting to see the Olympics to be successful is I want to see the Olympics not used for industrial or political or other purposes. I cannot see a problem with International Olympic Committee (IOC) being sponsored by Dow," he said.

After Indian Olympic Association failed to convince the IOC to drop Dow Chemicals as the London Games' sponsor, a "dismayed" Indian Government asked the IOC to "go beyond lesser considerations" and cancel the deal.

Cameron pointed out that Dow Chemicals was not the owner of Union Carbide when the gas disaster took place.

He also made it clear that the sponsorship of the Olympics was done by the IOC. "It is their decision making process. I do not criticise their decision making process," he said.

On Eurofighter losing the bid to sell fighter aircraft to India, Cameron said he was disappointed and still felt that it was the best aircraft and would continue to press for it.

Asked whether the decision had affected the ties between India and Britain, he replied in the negative.

Cameron also defended the proposed hike in university fees saying it was necessary to ensure that British institutes maintain high standards of education.

Very sad if India boycotted London Olympics: British PM - The Times of India

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

I dont think so India has guts to boycott olympics.

Waise bhi olympic mein jake ek ya do medal hi jeetna, kaun sa 20-25 medal leke aana hai...

Its not all about guts but an act by UPA to show people how much they are concerned?

Reg Medals:

Just let me know,

In how many sports you have participated and at which level?
How much effort you have put to win a medal?
How many people you have motivated towards sports?
How many of them has got to next level?

If not/could not, just keep all your $hit inside your mouth before commenting. I am saying all these things because I know, you never got even close to that. Otherwise you would not have commented on them.

Did not want to comment on you but could not sustain being a former sportsman. Sorry!

I think India was contemplating boycotting only the opening and closing ceremonies in protest... not sure if they are thinking of staying away from competition.... if they are, it goes against the spirit of sportsmanship.

Its not all about guts but an act by UPA to show people how much they are concerned?

Reg Medals:

Just let me know,

In how many sports you have participated and at which level?
How much effort you have put to win a medal?
How many people you have motivated towards sports?
How many of them has got to next level?

If not/could not, just keep all your $hit inside your mouth before commenting. I am saying all these things because you never got even close to that. Otherwise you would not have commented on them.

Did not want to comment on you but could not sustain being a former sportsman. Sorry!

So you want to blame me for bad performance of sportsman on international stage.

I think you should blame Government, for giving or rather not giving assistance for sportsperson to develop. OR furthermore you can blame the corruption involved in sports authority of India.

Why blame me? Did I say any lie?

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

I think India was contemplating boycotting only the opening and closing ceremonies in protest... not sure if they are thinking of staying away from competition.... if they are, it goes against the spirit of sportsmanship.

Why always its about Indian sportsmanship.

Is it British sportmanship to take sponsorship from a company responsible for wrong killings of bhopal people and more than that they even did not give compensation, just ran away.

India should boycott the games.

If India grows some guts and boycotts the London Olympics, I fully support them in this. What Union Carbide did in India was a colonial genocide and they have not yet been punished for it. Remember the Gulf of Mexico oil leak? US got tens of billions of dollars in damages despite the fact that far fewer people died in that incident. What India has got for all those who died or are living with disability till today? Zilch or peanuts. An Indian is worth much less than an American, that is what British proved.

We shod take the moral stand....can't play on the blood of our own people. This mofos take money form this unethical institutes who are responsible for the greatest tragedy we had.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

If India grows some guts and boycotts the London Olympics, I fully support them in this. What Union Carbide did in India was a colonial genocide and they have not yet been punished for it. Remember the Gulf of Mexico oil leak? US got tens of billions of dollars in damages despite the fact that far fewer people died in that incident. What India has got for all those who died or are living with disability till today? Zilch or peanuts. An Indian is worth much less than an American, that is what British proved.

agree with you .... Games are not bigger than the lives of hundreds of our people. I belong to MP and I know the travesty that this incident caused to us. Why are they keep on insisting the participation of Dow chemical which has the history of genocide.

Why always its about Indian sportsmanship.

Not Indian sportsmanship... rather sportsmanship spirit in general.

Is it British sportmanship to take sponsorship from a company responsible for wrong killings of bhopal people and more than that they even did not give compensation, just ran away.

India should boycott the games.

I would say play in the games and show the world by wearing black badges against Dow. That would be even more efficient than staying away from the game.

So you want to blame me for bad performance of sportsman on international stage.

I think you should blame Government, for giving or rather not giving assistance for sportsperson to develop. OR furthermore you can blame the corruption involved in sports authority of India.

Why blame me? Did I say any lie?

Just your words again you have posted in #1. Nowhere it is blaming govt for there action.

The kind of facilities sportsmen are getting, they are performing much above that. I am sure that you would not like to taste food that they are getting in SAI or sports nurseries.

I am coming from a town who is producing lot od Hind-kesari, boxers, hockey player, athletes and now cricketers. These players practices in both morning and evening, study/works in their farms on a daily basis. Parents give them full support emotionally, financially and follows to cheer them up. Now you can see, How much a participation matters for them?

Pathetic..

Remember the Gulf of Mexico oil leak? US got tens of billions of dollars in damages despite the fact that far fewer people died in that incident.

What India has got for all those who died or are living with disability till today? Zilch or peanuts. An Indian is worth much less than an American, that is what British proved.

That's a good point actually. Interesting to see the two different approaches.

Not Indian sportsmanship... rather sportsmanship spirit in general.

I would say play in the games and show the world by wearing black badges against Dow. That would be even more efficient than staying away from the game.

what Indian sportsmanship you are talking about ? You show sportsmanship when you play the games not sitting outside. When we were not playing against was that against the sportsmanship ? NO...

Morality and ethics have no value this days.... shame on us if w play the games which are financed by this mofos.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

I don't know this pathetic excuse of playing is must.......

what Indian sportsmanship you are talking about ? You show sportsmanship when you play the games not sitting outside. When we were not playing against was that against the sportsmanship ? NO...

Morality and ethics have no value this days.... shame on us if w play the games which are financed by this mofos.

I think you should read the post by @InvincibleINDIAN... think from the perspective of the atheletes who have toiled hard to get a chance to play at the Olympics...

There are other ways of protesting as I mentioned above... that would give much higher media coverage against Dow, rather than just abstaining from the games.

Back
Top Bottom