What's new

Verdict political, unconstitutional: Qadri

UmarJustice

New Recruit

Reaction score
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Awami Tehrik (PAT) chief Dr Tahirul Qadri got furious and lost his cool after the Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected his petition, seeking reconstitution of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP).

Talking to the media in the SC premises, the PAT leader said that the SC decision on his petition was unconstitutional and political which hurt millions of Pakistanis who wanted free and fair elections in the country.

He said that the court insulted millions of Pakistanis serving the nation from abroad.

“I am a Pakistani but the respected judges during the proceedings called me a foreigner and these remarks are not only my insult but of the millions of Pakistanis living abroad,” he added.

He went on to say: “The court had made up its mind even before giving the verdict, showing the newspapers with the CJP remarks that the court would not allow anyone to dismiss the ECP. “Instead of listening to the contents of my petition, the court only argued about my dual nationality.”

He said “composition of the ECP was unconstitutional. I was not allowed to read out even a single para of my petition. Only my locus standi was discussed which had nothing to do with my petition”.

Dr Qadri said he was entitled to file petition under the Article 184 (3) of the Constitution. “I have given references of 6 judicial decisions in this respect. If there is a matter of public interest, the Constitution allows me to file petition. But the court raised the matter of dual nationality from the very first day and it did not permit me to read out even a single word from the petition.

“When I started reading petition a day before, I was asked to inform the court if I was holding dual nationality. The dual nationality issue remained under attack during the proceeding despite the fact that one million Pakistanis are having dual citizenship and they remit billion of dollars to Pakistan annually. The salaries of government employees are paid by the remittance sent by overseas Pakistanis whose loyalty was questioned by attacking dual nationality.”

Verdict political, unconstitutional: Qadri | The Nation

A crap way to gain sympathy of overseas Pakistanis........An over acting to digest millions of Euros...

He should be punished for passing such remarks against high/supreme court judgements. Stupid mulla troll

The court should have done a better acting job for not being biased.

But this is Pakistan and nobody gives a ****, aldiya is free and untouched.

Cheap is fully bent to destroy the respect & dignity of courts, and Madari want to push country towards anarchy. Kick both of them into Arabian Sea.

The court should have done a better acting job for not being biased.

But this is Pakistan and nobody gives a ****, aldiya is free and untouched.

how exactly was it biased in anyway?

this mulla should be tried for contempt of court and since he is declared badneyat, therefore, govt should probe him under treason...

how exactly was it biased in anyway?

this mulla should be tried for contempt of court and since he is declared badneyat, therefore, govt should probe him under treason...

Just saying that the court should not have made a decision and published it for the media, before hearing further from him. I am still undecided about Qadri and in no way supporting him at the moment.

let me act lazy and copy my comment from the other thread:

in my understanding the discussion never really took place on the article under which the petition was filed. Rather SC was most interested in questioning as to what right does Dr. Qadri has to interfere in the political process. And this is what they have termed as the 'Locus standi' in the concerned case.

If you read the following article, you will get the feel of what I am saying. The discussion is more about proving Dr. Qadri's sincerity; his right to file a petition of such nature; why is filing it when no one else has filed it; he declares himself Canadian rather than Pakistani when outside Pak; and, why has he returned to Pakistan all of a sudden?
The only question which seem relevant and is of legal nature is the one which questions his right to file a petition of such nature. All the other questions seems very opinionated to me rather than based on any legal grounds.

Now lets agree for the sake of it that the verdict is legitimate but im finding it terribly hard to deny that this was a very unimpressive show from both sides and lacked professionalism.

Court casts away Qadri

Just saying that the court should not have made a decision and published it for the media, before hearing further from him. I am still undecided about Qadri and in no way supporting him at the moment.

simply understand that TuQ's objection is time barred.

P.S. if he was so keen, he could have filled the petition through someone else.. but it was going to be time barred anyway, there was no need to prolong the debate, lets move on to elections, fair or no fair, lets play !!

Qadri chapter closed forever, please don't give him so much projection.

let me act lazy and copy my comment from the other thread:

in my understanding the discussion never really took place on the article under which the petition was filed. Rather SC was most interested in questioning as to what right does Dr. Qadri has to interfere in the political process. And this is what they have termed as the 'Locus standi' in the concerned case.

If you read the following article, you will get the feel of what I am saying. The discussion is more about proving Dr. Qadri's sincerity; his right to file a petition of such nature; why is filing it when no one else has filed it; he declares himself Canadian rather than Pakistani when outside Pak; and, why has he returned to Pakistan all of a sudden?
The only question which seem relevant and is of legal nature is the one which questions his right to file a petition of such nature. All the other questions seems very opinionated to me rather than based on any legal grounds.

Now lets agree for the sake of it that the verdict is legitimate but im finding it terribly hard to deny that this was a very unimpressive show from both sides and lacked professionalism.

Court casts away Qadri

The short order of the Supreme Court says that the petition was dismissed because TuQ (a) failed to establish that his fundamental rights were violated, (b) failed to prove his bona fides to invoke the jurisdiction of this Court, and (c) has no locus standi to claim relief as a holder of dual citizenship, since he is not qualified to contest elections, all "For reasons to be recorded later".

While Article 2 of the short order clearly states the TuQ does has the right to vote, what I want to know are the legal bases upon which the CJ can prove that (a) the rights of any voter are not violated if the Election Commission is not legally constituted, (b) all citizens of Pakistan, dual or not, cannot invoke the jurisdiction of the court, and (c) only those eligible to stand in elections have the right to challenge the constitutionality of the ECP.

I think the Supreme Court, and specially the Chief Justice, has committed a blunder in this case, and are on a slippery slope that can eventually lead to denying equality under the law to the citizens of Pakistan, based on whimsical limitations based on dual nationality for now, and other similar manufactured excuses in the future.

The short order of the Supreme Court says that the petition was dismissed because TuQ (a) failed to establish that his fundamental rights were violated, (b) failed to prove his bona fides to invoke the jurisdiction of this Court, and (c) has no locus standi to claim relief as a holder of dual citizenship, since he is not qualified to contest elections, all "For reasons to be recorded later".

While Article 2 of the short order clearly states the TuQ does has the right to vote, what I want to know are the legal bases upon which the CJ can prove that (a) the rights of any voter are not violated if the Election Commission is not legally constituted, (b) all citizens of Pakistan, dual or not, cannot invoke the jurisdiction of the court, and (c) only those eligible to stand in elections have the right to challenge the constitutionality of the ECP.

I think the Supreme Court, and specially the Chief Justice, has committed a blunder in this case, and are on a slippery slope that can eventually lead to denying equality under the law to the citizens of Pakistan, based on whimsical limitations based on dual nationality for now, and other similar manufactured excuses in the future.

my issue is with how the proceedings were conducted. not what the verdict is. verdict depends on the interpretation of the constitution which is not my concern.

my issue is with how the proceedings were conducted. not what the verdict is. verdict depends on the interpretation of the constitution which is not my concern.

Could you please enlist your issues with the conduct of the proceedings, for my benefit?

Back
Top Bottom