What's new

US UAV shot down in Pakistan

Point is we already do have access to Predator technology, they lend it to us didnt they? I remember Predators being used by us in the Lal Masjid operation. You have pictures on this very site showing Predators stationed in Pakistani air bases !

Did we have the chance to turn it up side down?
We do now.

Okay man, if you insist. All I'm saying is that if we are really that adamant to get our hands on this fancy little toy then we could have always gone like: whoOOps sorry we lost one of 'em, too bad eh? Or we could have told 'em: too bad those nasty tribes men took it away before we could get there, sry.....

Just saw it again... Is this the battery or something? Could they be supplying the battery to any other system?

from appearance to me, it seems like a housing of voltage converter DC-DC, DC-AC or AC-DC.
Can have various applications but terminals marked +- are certainly for DC connection and could very well be connection point for battries.
I assume those drones are propelled by electric motors hence battries are the source of power and converters are the interface with selected type of motor.

Last edited:
Point is we already do have access to Predator technology, they lend it to us didnt they? I remember Predators being used by us in the Lal Masjid operation. You have pictures on this very site showing Predators stationed in Pakistani air bases !

There is no confirmation of that incident and I highly doubt US hands over its tech like that.

If it was done, then US must've operated and handled the aircraft all along.

Okay man, if you insist. All I'm saying is that if we are really that adamant to get our hands on this fancy little toy then we could have always gone like: whoOOps sorry we lost one of 'em, too bad eh? Or we could have told 'em: too bad those nasty tribes men took it away before we could get there, sry.....

There is no confirmation of that incident and I highly doubt US hands over its tech like that.

If it was done, then US must've operated and handled the aircraft all along.

Asim is correct,

While the Predator may be based in Pakistan, I do not believe it is operated by Pakistan, and if we aren't operating it, we aren't maintaining or repairing it. That means a full contingent of US technicians and possibly operators (given that remote operation is possible as well).

So how on earth does one just go 'missing' without the PAF completely compromising its reputation with the US military? If teh Americans are maintaining it and repairing it as well, I am not sure how our technicians will get a decent enough look at them.

Blueprints lying around, images taken of certain sections? The former unlikely, the latter possible, but nothing like actually taking the thing apart.

IF the US had sold that Battery component to Pakistan for some other use, the serial number, the part number is all mentioned on it.

They would've been jumping up n down pulling it from Aeronautical Systems sales records mentioning when and where it was sold to Pakistan. I mean won't that be the best denial?

Now we can't go ahead do the same to them. I'm guessing AS is a pvt company? Hence a Freedom of Information Act cannot be used to pull out their info.

I'm so hoping its a Predator-B.
Imagine how our next UAV will look like....something like this ;)
:cheers:I'm glad we have the same line of thought. dude, I was making du'a for that drone to be the Reaper.

at first I mistakenly thought the Reaper was just a nickname for the Predator(the first model), but then I found out that the Reaper is actually the Predator-B. so I think the drone is the Predator B, since the drone that crashed was the Reaper.:partay:

it was actually the Global Hawk that crashed in Pakistan in 2002, but unfortunately we handed it over immediately. it probably wouldn't have made a difference since we couldn't reverse-engineer anything that complex at that time. however, it seems Pakistan is a blessed land! I mean come on, Tomahawks, Global Hawk, now the Reaper! what's next? the F/A-22 or B-1R bombtruck!? :partay:

interesting article below...

U.S. Denies Drone Down - Never Mind the Video (Updated)
By Noah Shachtman September 24, 2008

This much we know: an American-made Predator spy drone has gone down in Pakistan. But what's the still unclear is how that drone was knocked out of the sky, and who really operated the unmanned plane.

In recent months, the U.S. military has stepped up its use of unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs, to hunt and take out suspected militants in Pakistan. During a week in early September, American drone strikes in Pakistan killed more than 50 people. Pakistani reaction has ranged from muted to outraged. But in this new UAV offensive, not a single drone has gone down. Until now, perhaps.

At first, the Associated Press reported that "Pakistani soldiers and tribesman shot down a suspected U.S. military drone close to the Afghan border Tuesday night." Later, ABC News heard from a "local resident and Pakistani intelligence officials" who said that "a vigilante force of tribal locals fired on the drone as it flew above Angoor Adda, located in South Waziristan -- a possible hiding place for Osama bin Laden."

The United States challenged both accounts, however. "We're not aware of any drones being down," a senior American official told the AP.

It's an odd reaction, despite the obvious diplomatic sensitivities. American officials have confirmed drone crashes in Pakistan before. Stranger still, Pakistani television ran footage today of wreckage bearing the insignia of "Aeronautical Systems." That's the name American defense contractor General Atomics -- the company behind the Predator UAV -- used to employ for its drone-making division. [UPDATED: One of the images shows a piece of wreckage marked "on-board starter unit."(http://blog.wired.com/defense/files/pak_drone_grab3.jpg) Its part number matches the number for the Predator's "on-board starter unit"(http://www.tpub.com/content/logistics/29/25/28/01-519-0109.htm) in a logistics database.]

So could the drone be some other country's robo-plane? It's an outside possibility. The United Kingdom's military operates UAVs, and is fighting in neighboring Afghanistan. Pakistan has its own fleet of pilotless aircraft, some of which occasionally crash. India also has UAVs, and they have been shot down over Pakistan.

A spokesperson for General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc., as the drone-building company is now known, would only confirm sales of its UAVs to countries like Turkey, the United Kingdom, and Italy. The firm also has "classified sales that we do not discuss." Is Pakistan on the list? The spokesperson won't say, either way: "That is not a foreign sale we've talked about."

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/09/this-much-we--1.html

Last edited:
IF the US had sold that Battery component to Pakistan for some other use, the serial number, the part number is all mentioned on it.

They would've been jumping up n down pulling it from Aeronautical Systems sales records mentioning when and where it was sold to Pakistan. I mean won't that be the best denial?

Now we can't go ahead do the same to them. I'm guessing AS is a pvt company? Hence a Freedom of Information Act cannot be used to pull out their info.

And Just as we had predicted, this journalist did the needful.

One of the images shows a piece of wreckage marked "on-board starter unit." Its part number matches the number for the Predator's "on-board starter unit" in a logistics database.
U.S. Denies Drone Down - Never Mind the Video (Updated) | Danger Room from Wired.com

So its a predator alright.

ISLAMABAD (September 25 2008): Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) on Wednesday confirmed the crash of a surveillance Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) while flying over Angoor Adda of South Waziristan Agency near Pak-Afghan border. But the drone landed, on this side of the border apparently due to malfunctioning, the ISPR said in a statement.

A technical fault could be the cause behind the crash, the spokesman said, adding that the wreckage of the UAV has been recovered from the site by the security personnel and the matter is under through investigation. The plane entered Angoor Adda from Afghanistan by violating Pakistan aerial boundaries and shot down by local tribesmen, sources said.

ISLAMABAD (September 25 2008): Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) on Wednesday confirmed the crash of a surveillance Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) while flying over Angoor Adda of South Waziristan Agency near Pak-Afghan border. But the drone landed, on this side of the border apparently due to malfunctioning, the ISPR said in a statement.

A technical fault could be the cause behind the crash, the spokesman said, adding that the wreckage of the UAV has been recovered from the site by the security personnel and the matter is under through investigation. The plane entered Angoor Adda from Afghanistan by violating Pakistan aerial boundaries and shot down by local tribesmen, sources said.

The most logical report sofar. They probably sneaked in low. Some people shot at it and you need one bullet on the right place to make it difficult to control. The auto gyro/pilot kept it floating till it hit the ground. Looking at the converter the impact is hardly destructive so we have a good plane to be examined.

The most logical report sofar. They probably sneaked in low. Some people shot at it and you need one bullet on the right place to make it difficult to control. The auto gyro/pilot kept it floating till it hit the ground. Looking at the converter the impact is hardly destructive so we have a good plane to be examined.
They should start claiming that nothing is left of the plane. If they say its in good shape, it can be demanded back.

Asim is correct,

While the Predator may be based in Pakistan, I do not believe it is operated by Pakistan, and if we aren't operating it, we aren't maintaining or repairing it. That means a full contingent of US technicians and possibly operators (given that remote operation is possible as well).

So how on earth does one just go 'missing' without the PAF completely compromising its reputation with the US military? If teh Americans are maintaining it and repairing it as well, I am not sure how our technicians will get a decent enough look at them.

Blueprints lying around, images taken of certain sections? The former unlikely, the latter possible, but nothing like actually taking the thing apart.

Okay I do not think we are letting them operate spy planes off our territory, especially given the current state of relations between the two countries because of the said UAVs. Makes little sense for them to say "okay you can keep it but you cant see it or operate it or decide where it goes". The pictures do show Pakistani Air men/technicians standing around them. Just say it got shot down during routine exercise...

Well I guess either way no one can be sure, so yeah whatever...

Pakistan 'fires on Nato aircraft'
Breaking News

Nato forces in eastern Afghanistan say their helicopters have been fired upon by a Pakistani military checkpoint.

The Western alliance said its aircraft had not crossed into Pakistani airspace when they came under fire in Khost province, news agency AP reports.

The incident comes amid growing tension over a number of recent incidents at the Pakistan-Afghan border.

Earlier this week, Pakistani troops said they had fired warning shots at US helicopters that crossed the border.

A drone believed to be operated by the CIA crashed inside Pakistan on Wednesday.

The latest incident happened as the helicopters were patrolling near Tanai district, Nato said.

Back
Top Bottom