What's new

Turkey’s top religious authority seeks independent role

Saithan

Reaction score
Font Size: Larger|Smaller
Sunday, October 24, 2010
ISTANBUL - Daily News with Radikal
Turkey’s religious functionaries should elect their own autonomous governing body to avoid conflict with the secular state, the head of the Religious Affairs Directorate says. Though Islam is the directorate’s ‘true religion,’ he adds, it does not seek to meddle in politics, harm the principle of secularism or keep other groups from practicing their beliefs
Ali Bardakoğlu, the head of the country’s Religious Affairs Directorate. DAILY NEWS photo, Selahattin SÖNMEZ

Ali Bardakoğlu, the head of the country’s Religious Affairs Directorate. DAILY NEWS photo, Selahattin SÖNMEZ

Turkey’s highest religious authority requires autonomy in order to continue to exist within an officially secular state government, its top official has said.

“The solution is to allow the religious institution to be autonomous. Turkey is ready for that,” Professor Ali Bardakoğlu, the head of the country’s Religious Affairs Directorate, told daily Radikal’s Ahmet İnsel, an atheist, in an interview published in the paper’s Saturday and Sunday editions.

In making his case, Bardakoğlu used the example of the judiciary electing its own top representatives through the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors, or HSYK. “Our religious functionaries are as trustworthy as judges,” he said. “For me, there is no risk factor in all of our religious functionaries electing their own organization [and] director.”

In the interview, Bardakoğlu also defended the directorate against the commonly voiced criticism that it was an institution of Sunni Muslims, the main branch of Islam adhered to in Turkey. “We do not prevent different belief groups from practicing their own beliefs and rituals,” he said, adding that the directorate operated on basic moral and religious principles.

Bardakoğlu said, however, that it would be against the directorate’s nature to treat all religions in the same way.

“For [the Religious Affairs Directorate], Islam is the true religion; other religions are true for others,” he said. “It would be ridiculous to ask the Vatican to be equally close to all religions.”

Though the directorate has a separate mission from the secular government, he said it considered the principle of secularity to be very important and avoided any actions or statements that would hurt that principle.

The head of the Religious Affairs Directorate also said that the space to designate a person’s religion should be removed from national identification papers, saying a person does not become a member of religion just because it is written down and that the practice fueled separation in society. “This is important and I am saying it for the first time,” he said.

[HHH] Historical basis

Founded in 1924, at the same time as the General Staff, the Religious Affairs Directorate is a state institution affiliated with the Prime Ministry that directs more than 100,000 religious functionaries. The law pertaining to the institution says that the directorate was founded to run affairs related to the worship and moral principles of the religion of Islam, enlighten society about religion and manage worship locations. The existence of such a body within a state that is secular according to its Constitution has been a subject of debate for years.

When asked whether having such a state institution conflicted with the principle of a secular state, Bardakoğlu said, “We cannot understand the present state of a country without knowing its history.”

The position of sheikh al-Islam, or superior authority in the issues of Islam, was economically autonomous in the Ottoman era and had foundations affiliated with it, he said, adding that the figure coordinated and inspected the empire’s religious communities.

“After 1924, the money transfer with the community was cut. The will that founded the Republic did this knowingly,” he said. “Therefore, it prevented inequality between people who offered the same service. The point [the Religious Affairs Directorate] is at today is, in a way, a result of the shape we ourselves gave to it.”

The directorate’s stance should be discussed and changed, Bardakoğlu said, arguing that even today it is not completely a state institution, but, as he described it, “the most civil institution of civil society.”

When asked to explain this, he said the directorate’s religious functionaries were not civil servants who placed themselves above the people because they did not force their religion on people and did not intervene in politics.

“We do not manage or lead the Mevlevis’ ‘semah’ [whirling ritual]. We do not manage the ‘cem’ rituals of Alevis and Bektaşis,” Bardakoğlu said, adding that the directorate did not have a “Pan-Islamist” expansion policy and did not alienate Jews and Christians.

“We accept people as they are,” he said, adding that their religions “are also true religions.”

When asked about a directorate publication in 2005 called “Christianity Propaganda and Missionary Actions,” Bardakoğlu said the body had moved “past those things.”

“[However], we do not find it right that countries conduct expansionism and even secret colonialism actions by using missionaries,” he said.

The Alevi issue

On the matter of Alevis, members of a community many see as a liberal sect of Islam who pray in a different manner from Turkey’s Sunni majority, consume alcohol and do not fast, Bardakoğlu said the focus should be on similarities rather than differences.

“The principle should be this: The one who does, does. The one who does not, does not,” he said. “We should create an area of freedom without interfering with or pressuring each other.”

Bardakoğlu, said, however, that it was not possible for the directorate to define the Alevis’ “cemevi” (ceremony houses) as places of worship.

He said he supported Alevis’ right to do whatever they wish but could not agree with their claim that their cem was the equivalent of “namaz” (Muslim prayer).

Asked what would happen if Alevis wanted to be called Alevis, not Muslims, Bardakoğlu said if Alevism began being perceived as a separate religion, subsequent generations would suffer for it.

“We tell the true information,” he said. “[They] see themselves as [Muslims] or do not. [It’s their] choice.”

On the subject on evolution, Bardakoğlu said it could be taught in schools, but as a theory rather than scientific fact. Classes should deal with evolutionary theory and Darwinism not as an ideology but as a way that some people think.

“Evolutionary theory [and religion] should never be pitted against each other,” he said.

According to Bardakoğlu, a religious person always prefers religious knowledge over scientific knowledge when they are in conflict, but Islam has never blocked the path of science and progress.

“The purpose of religious knowledge is not making sure you produce more electricity or get better [medical] treatment,” he said. “It is to make a wide and metaphysical explanation of what goes on in this limited area of ours.”

An article on http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/ reported that the religious head was changed. The reason for changing him with another was said to be that Professor Ali Bardakoğlu refused to give out fatwa's.

Unfortuntely the site is down, so I can't post a direct link to the article.

Last edited:
turkey must keep its present form of the gov, they are doing quite well compare to many many other muslim countries.

Yes, you shouldnt take a risk, you havent seen what a destruction and misary is!!! we took a risk and fought the soviets, look at us what we have got? learn a thing or 2 from us.

yeah but what would you have done if you didn't fight the soviets?

Either way, it looked grim for Afghanistan in one way or another...

The current "Islamist" regime in Turkey is a disgrace...

First of all there is NO Islamic regime in Turkey.

Turkey is secular democratic republic and Its laws are NOT based on Sheri'a.

I agree that our system have some problems but it is not disgrace for anybody. Especially for ANY other islamic country.

i dunno y qasim said disgrace to the present regime, i have some problems with turks though who keep changing sides between europe and the east, but i acknowledge what erdogan is doing now, and hope he is doing not just for gaining advantage for his country or to gain his political advantage in his country but from the purity of his heart n soul..

This is Turkey's internal matter - we should refrain from supporting or condemning their government/s or their history. Pakistan has a historic and cultural link with Turkey and I think we should respect that.

In Pakistan's history, whenever it has needed allies Turkey has always been at it's side, from Turkish F-16s with Pakistani flags flying on 6th September festivities in Pakistan during the years when our airforce was enjoying the benefits of the recent-most embargo, to helping out during the earthquake of 2005 or the floods of 2010.

I am interested in how our Turk brothers see this - whether people percieve making their religious affairs directorate an independent body a positive step or not?

Here is an update on the resignation Today's Zaman, your gateway to Turkish daily news

I chose to make this post because I know a lot of our bretheren think that Turkey should become more islamised etc. etc. and I wanted to share with you a possible idea of an independant islamic institution who is the top authority in a country.

If he chose to resign himself then I see no problem in that. But the messages he sends has a value. His message that women who aren't veiled are also muslims is one of such messages. However in the previous articles he pointed out that the "diyanet vakfi" (the name of the institute) is upholding / representing the true form of islam.

So Alevis, sufis and shia who all have variances in their practices at certain areas know that their practice is different than how our beloved prophet Hz. Muhammed (S.A.V) practiced islam. I believe that is also why all other branches in islam shouldn't be recognized as "islamic" religion.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

yeah but what would you have done if you didn't fight the soviets?

Either way, it looked grim for Afghanistan in one way or another...

no fighting the russinas meant no war, no dying, no destruction etc. anything would have been better than what we have got now and our unbelieveable misary for the last 3 decades. no matter how much i should say, but it is really difficult for all of you to realize where i am coming from, you havent tasted so you dont know it.

Back
Top Bottom