What's new

True event or just a story|

Chacha_Facebooka

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hello guys, I am new to Defence.pk's forums. I had this question about a story I heard people talking about at our workplace and wanted to know if somebody ever heard it. I am posting this in the history forum because that's where I am most likely to get the answer.

The story I heard goes something like this. When Soviet Union invades Afghanistan, the president of Pakistan at the time, Gen. Zia-ul-Hak, calls an emergency meeting. Attending the meeting are corp-commanders of Armed Forces and the heads of the intelligence services including the Gen. Akhtar Rehman of the ISI.

They had received intelligence that Soviet Union came into Afghanistan fully prepared to attack Pakistan. It makes sense as Pakistan was USA's ally whom Soviet Union has problems with and was India's Enemy who Soviet Union had alliance with.

Zia asks the corp-commanders of what to do in case of an attack. The corp-commanders draw a line on a map of Pakistan cutting it in half and say, "Our forces can't defend the whole country. In case of an attack, we will pull back to this line (the line they had drawn). We can defend this area while we let them take the other half."

During this, head of ISI says, "What are you talking about, we are going to stop them dead in their tracks in Afghanistan." That's how the ingenious plan of creating the Mujahideen came to be.

After some research, I have found out that support from USA and Saudi Arabia didn't come until 2-3 years after invasion. So, the question I want to ask is if this is a true story or just a rumor.

Hello guys, I am new to Defence.pk's forums. I had this question about a story I heard people talking about at our workplace and wanted to know if somebody ever heard it. I am posting this in the history forum because that's where I am most likely to get the answer.

The story I heard goes something like this. When Soviet Union invades Afghanistan, the president of Pakistan at the time, Gen. Zia-ul-Hak, calls an emergency meeting. Attending the meeting are corp-commanders of Armed Forces and the heads of the intelligence services including the Gen. Akhtar Rehman of the ISI.

They had received intelligence that Soviet Union came into Afghanistan fully prepared to attack Pakistan. It makes sense as Pakistan was USA's ally whom Soviet Union has problems with and was India's Enemy who Soviet Union had alliance with.

Zia asks the corp-commanders of what to do in case of an attack. The corp-commanders draw a line on a map of Pakistan cutting it in half and say, "Our forces can't defend the whole country. In case of an attack, we will pull back to this line (the line they had drawn). We can defend this area while we let them take the other half."

During this, head of ISI says, "What are you talking about, we are going to stop them dead in their tracks in Afghanistan." That's how the ingenious plan of creating the Mujahideen came to be.

After some research, I have found out that support from USA and Saudi Arabia didn't come until 2-3 years after invasion. So, the question I want to ask is if this is a true story or just a rumor.

from a strategic and defensive point of view the best place to dig in and bash out a long drawn out war would be the mountains of the western border and the local inhabitants support and aid and ''reinforcements'', it simply doesnt make sense to let them pass our mountains that would act like a ''great wall of China'' severely limiting their armor (tanks, APCs etc) movements, along with their logistics, the drawing of a line and falling back seems impractical at best, the only hope we had in that situation was to capatilize on the terrian and people of the western border and dig in for how long the need be....if in such a stiuation we had fallen back to the defensive line then all of Pakistan a would be speaking Russian like now.....just my two cents

Russia did not want to attack Pakistan because we were and are US allies, in fact they have always wanted access to hot water i.e Arabian Sea and the shortest route is through Pakistan.

the story don't look credible by any defence perspective I guess.Nobody wants to loose their land to enemy in any war scenario......it just looks like a gossip teller story.......:D

Introduce yourself in member introduction thread first. :D
Doubt the story though like another member posted it makes no sense the mountains are the most realistic way for Pakistan to defend itself from western aggression.

4AQV4.gif

Back
Top Bottom