What's new

Tried my first south indian food

Vidyarthi Bhavan anytime... Not a big fan of MTR.

Dude... 3-4 alu parathas??? Thats like 20 idlys atleast. I'd usually done with 1 Alu paratha... can strech it to 1.5.

Ahh!!! its cuz you haven't met me :D
i tend to love food, :)

I love Dosa and Idli. My daily breakfast at Hyderabad.

Hate to say this but the best dosa were available in Bangalore . I have a tough time finding places for good masala dosas in hyd. (like i used to get in Bangalore)

8 bucks for a large masala dosa. I know its 4 bucks from everywhere else.

But their masala dosa is larger and with less curry patta than others. Plus they give two types of chutneys, plain coconut and some yellowish coconut chutney

It's a rip off, but in that sense every big restaurant is one when compared to a smaller restaurant.

Mate, may be compared to restaurants in Dubai it may be an alright price.. But for me its too much.. I can eat the same masala dosa or Ghee roast in another veg restaurant in less than half the price..

Yeah @seiko is a malabari penny pincher :P

:pissed: I am not a Malabariee and I am not at all a penny pincher.. I wish I was.. :hitwall:

Last edited by a moderator:
sarvana bhavan is not a rip off.. in UK. They are quite competetively priced.

$$$hittt, seems like they only milking the Indians :pissed:

sarvana bhavan is not a rip off.. in UK. They are quite competetively priced.

Saravana Bhavan fed me with cheap but hygienic food when I moved to Chennai for my masters and I got afflicted with Jaundice and Typhoid eating in the roadside eateries - Couldn't afford everything in the menu but a Thali then would cost Rs. 10, very affordable for a student.

That's so sad. My father(who is no more) mentioned that he thought of Venice being there in Alleppey in one of the last conversations I had with him. Alleppey is part of nostalgic feelings as I had the best family get together there. Had few after that outside of country like in Phuket and all but nothing can beat Kerala(we visited Thekkady, Alleppey, Munnar but prefer Alleppey)

Yes, it is mate.. Allapey is known as Venice of the east.. But it becoming too much crowded there.. Munnar also loosing its attractiveness due to many buildings constructing there.. Hope our state government will take some serious steps before its too late..

Ghee roast is just some masala right? Nothing at all in it except maybe tomatoes and onions?

I've never tried it I've always wondered what it is. I've seen Ghee Egg Roast, with solid full eggs. They look too spicy considering they are breakfast food.

Ghee roast is just some masala right? Nothing at all in it except maybe tomatoes and onions?

I've never tried it I've always wondered what it is. I've seen Ghee Egg Roast, with solid full eggs. They look too spicy considering they are breakfast food.

Ghee roast is a plain big dosa with nothing inside.. Its made with lots of ghee.. In Kerala, you will see Beef dosa too.. I love Egg Dosa, and I dont think they put anything spicy other than the pepper along with some salt..

Ghee roast is a plain big dosa with nothing inside.. Its made with lots of ghee.. In Kerala, you will see Beef dosa too.. I love Egg Dosa, and I dont think they put anything spicy other than the pepper along with some salt..

Egg roast is like this from my standard mallu place:

Nandan+Egg+Roast-Kerala+Egg+Roast.jpg

Whenever I'm too late to do breakfast at home, I pick up some Mallu food. Cheap and filling.

But I stick to Omlette with cheese in Karak Porotta.

My standard order.

Sometimes when I need a change, I go for Chicken Chilly in Karak porotta. I like the Karak porotta taste.

Mallu Porotta is an acquired taste and not really healthy since its made of maida, not aata.

I have to get them to not put any extra green chilies. They put so many otherwise! Even in Chicken Chilly I tell them to please remove the chillies.

i hate ghee dosa.. its impossible to clean ghee from your hands.. wipe with 5 tissue.. clean with soap and water.. wipe with tissues again.. still some ghee figers left in finger .. :hitwall:

i hate ghee dosa.. its impossible to clean ghee from your hands.. wipe with 5 tissue.. clean with soap and water.. wipe with tissues again.. still some ghee figers left in finger .. :hitwall:

You eat it with some chutney or just the dosa on its own?

Isn't South Indian food all about getting your hands messy?

In Pakistan (or Muslim world in general) its quite customary (right word is sunnat - practice of the prophet) to eat with just three fingers (thumb, index finger, middle finger). Mallus however like to use all fives, crush every food (especially rice based) into a gola and then gulp it down.

So it doesn't matter what you eat, you'll get your hands messy!

In Pakistan (or Muslim world in general) its quite customary (right word is sunnat - practice of the prophet) to eat with just three fingers (thumb, index finger, middle finger). Mallus however like to use all fives, crush every food (especially rice based) into a gola and then gulp it down.

Exactly, we love to make a mess out of our food before eating it.. :lol:

Egg roast is like this from my standard mallu place:

Nandan+Egg+Roast-Kerala+Egg+Roast.jpg

Whenever I'm too late to do breakfast at home, I pick up some Mallu food. Cheap and filling.

But I stick to Omlette with cheese in Karak Porotta.

My standard order.

Sometimes when I need a change, I go for Chicken Chilly in Karak porotta. I like the Karak porotta taste.

Mallu Porotta is an acquired taste and not really healthy since its made of maida, not aata.

I have to get them to not put any extra green chilies. They put so many otherwise! Even in Chicken Chilly I tell them to please remove the chillies.

Yes, our egg roast is like that, lots of spices.. We love to eat everything spicy.. The more spicy, it is better.. You should try food from our local toddy shops..They use too much chilly that steam will come out of your behind ..

Apply it on your hair, you can clean your hand and you hair will be silky smooth :P

I eat with whatever they give.. usually 2 chutneys .. ginger and coconut.. and then there is sambar...
first thing I do is to fold the bits of dosa that is nearly touching the table.. then take a piece of it.. while holding it take some masala with it(dig it from middle not open the dosa..) .. so that masala does not touch my finger..
I repeat it the same with chutney ... while sipping some sambar with spoon as step 2.

Problem is .after eating.. ghee sticks to the finger. and no amount of washing can remove it.. :)

how do you eat your dosa.. @seiko

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom