What's new

Tribesmen demand electricity in return for polio vaccination for kids

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Tribesmen in Lakki Marwat have taken a new, albeit risky, route to get their demand of electricity supply met -- refusing to get their children vaccinated against polio.

Several hundred residents from villages in Lakki Marwat staged a protest demonstration on June 10 and turned away polio-eradication teams, according to The Atlantic.

Village elder Zaitullah Betanai said polio teams would not be allowed to go about their work until the central government accepted the villagers' demands.

"There is an electricity supply line but no electricity, and there is no electricity transformer in the area," Zaitullah said. "We have no mosquito kits and no spray against mosquitoes is arranged so far. Also, there is no ambulance in the area. We want the government to address the four demands immediately."

Lakki Marwat is a rugged district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and borders the troubled South Waziristan Agency.

Local government official Gul Zardar said the administration had engaged in talks with the protesters to find a solution.

"The political agent says he will not compromise on polio vaccination," Zardar said.

"All their just demands will be addressed. We shall continue until their demands are addressed and ensure every child gets polio drops."

Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Nigeria are the only three countries in the world that the World Health Organisation (WHO) still regards as "polio-endemic." Polio affects mainly children under the age of five. - See more at: Tribesmen demand electricity in return for polio vaccination for kids | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

What century are they living in.

You live in Pakistani territory then abide by state rules or leave, simple as that.

No demands, no negotiations, leave the country.

Tribesmen in Lakki Marwat have taken a new, albeit risky, route to get their demand of electricity supply met -- refusing to get their children vaccinated against polio.

Several hundred residents from villages in Lakki Marwat staged a protest demonstration on June 10 and turned away polio-eradication teams, according to The Atlantic.

Village elder Zaitullah Betanai said polio teams would not be allowed to go about their work until the central government accepted the villagers' demands.

"There is an electricity supply line but no electricity, and there is no electricity transformer in the area," Zaitullah said. "We have no mosquito kits and no spray against mosquitoes is arranged so far. Also, there is no ambulance in the area. We want the government to address the four demands immediately."

Lakki Marwat is a rugged district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and borders the troubled South Waziristan Agency.

Local government official Gul Zardar said the administration had engaged in talks with the protesters to find a solution.

"The political agent says he will not compromise on polio vaccination," Zardar said.

"All their just demands will be addressed. We shall continue until their demands are addressed and ensure every child gets polio drops."

Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Nigeria are the only three countries in the world that the World Health Organisation (WHO) still regards as "polio-endemic." Polio affects mainly children under the age of five. - See more at: Tribesmen demand electricity in return for polio vaccination for kids | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

Sounds more like a situation which calls for administering electric shock therapy. I am sure that a cooler or an AC shall be a great comfort for a kid suffering from polio a few years down the line. Dimwits!

@Hyperion @Secur @Armstrong Guys!! These fellows are seriously holding the future of their children hostage over electricity? :hitwall:

Leave it , even in the largest city of Pakistan , Karachi , there are religious dimwits who aren't ready to get their children vaccinated with ' Jewish ' medicine but rather prefer them paralyzed or suffering from terrible diseases throughout the life and well they believe in lots of children - cant raise and educate two kids but yet there are ten more to feed . Forget the KPK which is a completely different story at all , what really amazes me that they think they are doing us a favor by giving their children a more-than-fair chance of developing ' resistance ' these diseases which can change their lives for the worst if they aren't protected .

I have nothing more to say at this ' naked display of stupidity ' . All I want to say is that people have got their priorities completely wrong here . Is this some new sort of ' blackmail ' where the people are threatening to let their children suffer if they do not get electricity ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave it , even in the largest city of Pakistan , Karachi , there are religious dimwits who aren't ready to get their children vaccinated with ' Jewish ' medicine but rather prefer them paralyzed or suffering from terrible diseases throughout the life and well they believe in lots of children - cant raise and educate two kids but yet there are ten more to feed . Forget the KPK which is a completely different story at all , what really amazes me that they think they are doing us a favor by giving their children a more-than-fair chance of developing ' resistance ' these diseases which can change their lives for the worst if they aren't protected .

I have nothing more to say at this ' naked display of stupidity ' . All I want to say is that people have got their priorities completely wrong here . Is this some new sort of ' blackmail ' where the people are threatening to let their children suffer if they do not get electricity ?

This is indeed a new level of stupidity. Do these guys know how difficult it is for a nation to eradicate Polio..do they even think about the suffering of their children..hell..these days other countries have started getting restrictive with letting people in from countries where polio is still prevalent. Not to mention the added burden of health-care on the state. Dimwits is too charitable a description.

These people are nuts...so they think they are doing the government a favour by getting their kids vaccinated??? Heights of idiocracy I must say....

dont call it stupidity when you guys keep churning conspiracy theories about everything and believe absolutely everything including gossips. A common man(illeterate of semi literate) has no idea what to believe and what not to.

Trust in authority is very low in pakistan, that is a good thing for an educated skeptic person though.

a very just demand, they are not asking for guns or madrassas. sad they have to do such drama to get basic rights as citizens. for last 60 years Pakistan's establishment did not provide them with electricity, schools, health centres, contraceptives, industry. instead they received guns, madrassas and opium. why call them stupid now.

This is indeed a new level of stupidity. Do these guys know how difficult it is for a nation to eradicate Polio..do they even think about the suffering of their children..hell..these days other countries have started getting restrictive with letting people in from countries where polio is still prevalent. Not to mention the added burden of health-care on the state. Dimwits is too charitable a description.

Most of them are illiterate and heavily influenced by the local God's viceroy on earth - the Mullah who serves as the representative of the God . No , they do not understand but this isn't a thing to understand , this is common sense . They aren't doing anyone a favor by this absurd ' blackmail ' . The state of Pakistan wants to eradicate the ' Polio ' for the good of their children and honestly with just three countries still remaining in the list of ' polio-endemic ' , this is quite serious . There's no cure to illiteracy and stupidity , Dillinger .

Yara Secur, with due respect,

it also means,

our intellectuals spend too much time talking and f@rting about drones (like 99%)

And

too little time (like less than 0.005%), showing pictures of polio afflicted kids, and other horrible horrible diseases that could easily be stopped via early childhood vaccination.

In other words

We are giving tribals the wrong kind of education.

then what should we expect when they behave and follow what we teach them. what we prioritize for them in our media, our colleges, our mosques.

If we are telling them 24 hours that America is bad, Islam is in danger, Jews are out to get you, then how on earth they will readily accept medicine donated by the same West. How?

Sadly. it is like

We sow cactus, and when it comes up, we cry, "Oh God! Where are our mangoes".

We want mangoes, sweet sweet chotay chotay, mangoes that we all can suck on. Why oh why we are getting these thorny things, that are splitting open our mouths.

Cry cry cry, weep weep, where are our mangoes. cry cry cry. weep weep weep.

Hope we all understand our responsibilities first before laughing our @rses off on Tribals.

Thank you

dont call it stupidity when you guys keep churning conspiracy theories about everything and believe absolutely everything including gossips. A common man(illeterate of semi literate) has no idea what to believe and what not to.

Trust in authority is very low in pakistan, that is a good thing for an educated skeptic person though.

I expect an illiterate common person to at least have some common sense and not blindly follow others ! This has nothing to do with ' conspiracy theories ' and such .

Not only in Pakistan , but the whole South Asian region .

a very just demand, they are not asking for guns or madrassas. sad they have to do such drama to get basic rights as citizens. for last 60 years Pakistan's establishment did not provide them with electricity, schools, health centres, contraceptives, industry. instead they received guns, madrassas and opium. why call them stupid now.

I do not see how you are ' any different ' than them justifying getting their children handicapped for the rest of the life for the electricity - a problem which is faced by whole Pakistan . Even your country doesn't have adequate power and load shedding occurs , doesn't it ? Leave the rest of the debate about ' establishment ' , you do not know the ' reality on ground ' . For one , we aren't talking about tribal areas at the moment for you to say such a thing in the first place .

Maybe they should start teaching logic classes in Pakistan — holding your kids health hostage over electrical outages is outrageous and downright stupid.:ashamed:

I expect an illiterate common person to at least have some common sense and not blindly follow others ! This has nothing to do with ' conspiracy theories ' and such .

Not only in Pakistan , but the whole South Asian region .

not true for India. Most Indians have high level of trust in govt (in fact too much I would say) , when govt say something is good, most people think it must be good.
This has relation with conspiracy theory, because many educated person believe in such theries, unable to figure out which news source to trust. Imagine the plight of illiterates and semi literates.

Common sense is not so common, it depends on where you get your info from.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom