What's new

The Real Stories Of Real Warriors

By the way. That medal looks like it's the same as our MoH and CIA Distinguished Intelligence Cross. :)

By the way. That medal looks like it's the same as our MoH and CIA Distinguished Intelligence Cross. :)

You copied us ! :D

Joke aside : The Star has significance from our 'flag' & its association with the Islamic Civilization whereas the name 'Nishan-e-Haider or the Symbol of Haider (Lion)' may have been taken in a literal sense or could be referring to the soliloquy of Ali ibn Abi Talib, the 4th Caliph of Islam, who was referred to as 'Haider - the Lion' on account of his bravery in every battle that he took part in.

Lachhiman Gurung

vc-laxman-gurung.jpg

Gurung was born in the village of Dakhani, in the Tanahu District of Nepal, the son of Partiman Gurung. He joined the British Indian Army in December 1940, permitted to enlist in wartime although only 4'11" tall and so below the peacetime minimum height. He was 27 years old, and a Rifleman in the 4th Battalion, 8th Gurkha Rifles, in the Indian Army during World War II when the following deed took place in May 1945 for which he was awarded the VC.
His Battalion was part of the 89th Indian Infantry Brigade of 7th Indian Infantry Division, which was ordered to cross the Irrawaddy River and attack Japanese forces to the north of the road from Prome to Taungup. The Japanese withdrew towards Taungdaw, where Gurung was part of the two companies of the 4th Battalion, 8th Gurkha Rifles waiting, when the Japanese attacked in force in the early morning.
On 12/13 May 1945 at Taungdaw, Burma [now Myanmar], Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung was manning the most forward post of his platoon which bore the brunt of an attack by at least 200 of the Japanese enemy. Twice he hurled back grenades which had fallen on his trench, but the third exploded in his right hand, blowing off his fingers, shattering his arm and severely wounding him in the face, body and right leg. His two comrades were also badly wounded but the rifleman, now alone and disregarding his wounds, loaded and fired his rifle with his left hand for four hours, calmly waiting for each attack which he met with fire at point blank range. Afterwards, when the casualties were counted, it is reported that there were 31 dead Japanese around his position which he had killed, with only one arm.
He received his Victoria Cross from the Viceroy of India, Field Marshal Lord Wavell at the Red Fort in Delhi on 19 December 1945

The medal is currently held in India, in the possession of Gurung's parent unit, the 4th Battalion, 8th Gurkha Rifles

Lachhiman Gurung - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lyrical Mockery,

Do you support Gorkhaland? If yes, why yes, if no, why no? I am just curious to know. Thnks.

i have no stand on that issue. It doesn't have anything to do with me. I guess the wish of the majority should be accepted.

Hmmm.... quite diplomatic. OK.
Not diplomatic at all. I rarely poke my nose in other people's matter. Like i have no stand on the naga issue, but i am quite vocal when it comes to China's illegitimate claim over my land and my people.

A soldier myself, i don't believe there are one hero, if you ask any of the Medal of Honor recepient, they will always say, being called a hero is merely surviving the ordeal and came back, real hero is still overthere, 6 feet into the ground, with bayonet attached rifle driven into the ground and a helmet on top. That was a person who can truely called a "Hero"

My hero is all the guy under my command, they keep me fighting on, they guide me thru every decision, i don't hope that they will find me as a good leader but i do think they help me to at least tried and become one. Those people who will risk their life qithout a question, they are all my heroes.

A soldier myself, i don't believe there are one hero, if you ask any of the Medal of Honor recepient, they will always say, being called a hero is merely surviving the ordeal and came back, real hero is still overthere, 6 feet into the ground, with bayonet attached rifle driven into the ground and a helmet on top. That was a person who can truely called a "Hero"

My hero is all the guy under my command, they keep me fighting on, they guide me thru every decision, i don't hope that they will find me as a good leader but i do think they help me to at least tried and become one. Those people who will risk their life qithout a question, they are all my heroes.

well, you were a Captain in 82nd Airborne right? Anyway I think I know what do u mean. I'm not a soldier of course but I'm a YM/SSgt. at Raleigh Durham Young Marines. We visit vet centers...etc. I remember that our platoon sergeant brought us to somewhere in North Carolina. And we have met with several soldiers who got wounded and discharged from the army. When I met with a Silver Star receipent soldier, I saw the anger in his eyes. Not the anger of loosing both legs, the anger of being known as a "hero". He told us about his story. His convoy was attacked. He and another soldier survived but others not unfortunately. I mean he was sad of being called as a hero. There are things in the world that you can't know it until you had it. Again, thank you for your service sir. BTW What do u doin in Sweden Captain?

well, you were a Captain in 82nd Airborne right? Anyway I think I know what do u mean. I'm not a soldier of course but I'm a YM/SSgt. at Raleigh Durham Young Marines. We visit vet centers...etc. I remember that our platoon sergeant brought us to somewhere in North Carolina. And we have met with several soldiers who got wounded and discharged from the army. When I met with a Silver Star receipent soldier, I saw the anger in his eyes. Not the anger of loosing both legs, the anger of being known as a "hero". He told us about his story. His convoy was attacked. He and another soldier survived but others not unfortunately. I mean he was sad of being called as a hero. There are things in the world that you can't know it until you had it. Again, thank you for your service sir. BTW What do u doin in Sweden Captain?

Yeah, i was a Captain in the 82nd.

Some poeple actual do take offence if other refering them heroes. Some people are not willing to accept the title even after when they have done extraordinary stuff. They are hero is not because what they do, but rather what the other do, in another word we called "Survivor Guilt" being a hero is not measured by how many medal you got, but at that instant, you do something other don't and when the time need to be, you stepped up, that's what people generally think they are hero.

I know a guy, a Sergeant, who was deployed 5 times (You are luck to get 3 with whole 8 years stint) and everytime he asked for it when his unit return, when i see the paper work, i talked to that sergeant and ask him why he keep volunteer to serve a tour in the Middle East. His answer is simple, "if it's not me, who else, if i don't go, somebody have to go for me, and when that person dies, it would be like i killed him" That my friend, is a true hero

To me, i don't want to be a hero if i have the choice, i am glad about it only one thing, that over the 2 and a half years of war i do not lose a single soldier, that, to me, is better than any medal i got. That, for me, is the ultimate achievement during the war. To me, all my guys are my heroes, because they are all willing to lay down their life for one and other. For them, i would want to think i am their hero as i bring them all back home, alive.

PS. I was in Sweden because of my wife, she is doing Research for hewr doctorate in Sweden, where she was born, i am right now doing a 9 months Master degree in Australia at the moment, hoping to use it on my family business.

Thanks captain! These are things what made us the greatest country of the world, no doupt on that. Not the tech we have, not the stuff you guys use in the combat or anything else. In home; we're proudda u and the guys like this sergeant. Good luck on your family business, and have fun with the Aussies :P

Back
Top Bottom