What's new

The Problem of Urdu

Here we go, instead of focusing on why we do not create our own culture, it's :what's Indian culture?" -- If it's made in India, it's Indian culture, if it's about India, It's Indian culture, Savvy?

Think about why we do not create Pakistani culture, that will be more useful than clubbing the indian.

pak culture will be similar to indin culure. Now before you all hyperventilate, please listen.
Pak like India has a number of states with differing cultures. LIke Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashtun etc. However to have a composite Pak culture the binding force has to come from modern happenings like cricket, older traditions, your poetry, with a dash of religion.

@Abjadi: same has happened in india too. Hindi speaking politicians tried to impose hindi on all over India, faced backlash.
In all states, schools under state board (where vast majority of pupils study) teach in mother tongue. Only in missionary and private schools the medium of instruction is English.

After 10th, its mostly English medium, whether state funded or private college.

In pakistan, most people seem to understand urdu, so not much opposition there.

Last edited by a moderator:
582585_496547010362072_2050374115_n.jpg
that's the point ,
hidu culture is pervasive , rather hindu religion is hidu culture , this culture is poisoning minds of our coming generation ....

wasnt maratha and sikh rule better than taliban who are ruling your country now a days

I'd read some time ago that shiv sena types blocked the roads in gurdaspur and started beating up sikhs. think it was in retaliation to punjabis protesting either against congress framing a sikh man on false charges from 1984, or to do with punjab not getting a fair share of its own resources and being siphoned off to other provinces. the sikhs were indeed duped at partition. and hope you realize how there is no comparison between what transpired in those times and the situation now.

that's the point ,
hidu culture is pervasive , rather hindu religion is hidu culture , this culture is poisoning minds of our coming generation ....

Hi you are offending me by saying that my culture is poisoning minds. I think you should apologize. Its one thing to say that you want your culture to be Arabic without other influence and another to say that my culture is poisoning your minds thus implying its bad.

edit: nevermind

i am not findin connection. all i am saying is that like india has several cultures, pakistan also has several.
i am not saying indian and pak cultures are the same.

The misplaced priorities of people on these forums never fail to amuse me. Seriously, a 10 page discussions about cartoons?????

pak culture will be similar to indin culure. Now before you all hyperventilate, please listen.
Pak like India has a number of states with differing cultures. LIke Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashtun etc. However to have a composite Pak culture the binding force has to come from modern happenings like cricket, older traditions, your poetry, with a dash of religion.

I am hyperventilating but I can still type - Yes it can and may be similar to Indian and to a variety of other cultures including the heritage of Western culture -- My concern is that whatever the heck it is or evolves to, that it be produced in Pakistan, by Pakistanis.

Urdu the same as Kaka - ok, sure but if you will review the list produced by the thread starter, all the objections listed can be said for any number of languages prevalent in Pakistan - again, the problem is not which language, after all language is just a utility, however, politicization and the politics of identity must be kept out of it -- look, we all speak and read and write English, right, are we all therefore, Englishmen?? Obviously not, we all USE English because it is free of the politics of identity. language is a utility, not an identity, unless you make it one of course.

pashtuns, baloch have long standing traditions, poetry and cultural nuances, and its all part of the larger culture of Pakistan. you can't impose upon Pakistan any one homogenous culture. flowers in a garden. we'd rather just accept what we have as our own rather than having to hear its part of some other countries'. which sounds denigrating to our ears, to be honest. whatever little we had left in common with your side, now has our unique Pakistani tinge to it since independence. let us accept and be happy with going our different paths, rather than desperately seeking to find some connection at all times. I'm sure you don't want to be constantly linked with us either, and why should you because there's parts of your nation's culture which we have nothing in common with and vice versa. we can only build true friendship by acknowledging and accepting our differences.
Pakistani culture is similar to northen indian culture.(similar, not same) That is an observation not a wish, although most pakistanis I have met are punjabis.
Most of your journalists (or ordinary citizens) that have visited India have said so.

Now, I know lot of pakistanis and Indians wont want to be associated with each other, and wish we were different. But that will take time. You will have to lose huge amount of your traditions to be different from north India.

Im not findin connection. all i am saying is that like india has several cultures, pakistan also has several.
i am not saying indian and pak cultures are the same.

Its not only abut culture rather beliefs.

Really? Cartoons make you insecure? Americans kids enjoy Japanese anime, Japanese kids enjoy American shows - does that mean that either of them have lost any cultural war?

Also, all Indian programmes are aired in neither Hindu nor Urdu - they are aired in Hindustani. And what difference does it make if it is Hindi or Urdu - languages don't have a religion.

Pakistani culture is similar to northen indian culture.(similar, not same) That is an observation not a wish, although most pakistanis I have met are punjabis.
Most of your journalists (or ordinary citizens) that have visited India have said so.

Now, I know lot of pakistanis and Indians wont want to be associated with each other, and wish we were different. But that will take time. You will have to lose huge amount of your traditions to be different from north India.

Punjab & Sindh have similarity with India, Baluchistan & KPK with Iran & Afghanistan

We lived together for decades so adopted each other culture. In our marriages mostly functions and rasams are adopted from your culture.

1. i have no issue with hindi/sunskrit words many dont BUT we all must be against ruining of pure languages. Here in Pakistan we are also sad about mixture of English words in Urdu.

2. Nobody talks about culture invasion interms of language but all we want our beautiful national languge should not be polluted.

3. The Japanese cartoons, or for that matter american cartoons do not promote religious things unlike Indian cartoons where characters are based on Hindu gods. its time Indians should separate promotion of religion from pure entertainment.

4. There should be everything to oppose such kind of religious preaching cartoons. its not about insecurity its about giving kids religious free entertainment.

NOTE: about Hollywood religious movies they do not preach religion but shows only few things where the character needs to show unlike Indian kids cartoons based on purely a hindu god's life

I am asking you what is INDIAN CULTURE? you sure have one tell me what is it?

I have seen some Punjabi movies of Pakistan, the culture shown there is different from the Lakhnavi Tehzeeb you guys immitate. The mentality is you guys got used to bookish Urdu and not ready to accept regional variation of Urdu like Punjabi or Pashto.

I am hyperventilating but I can still type - Yes it can and may be similar to Indian and to a variety of other cultures including the heritage of Western culture -- My concern is that whatever the heck it is or evolves to, that it be produced in Pakistan, by Pakistanis.

Urdu the same as Kaka - ok, sure but if you will review the list produced by the thread starter, all the objections listed can be said for any number of languages prevalent in Pakistan - again, the problem is not which language, after all language is just a utility, however, politicization and the politics of identity must be kept out of it -- look, we all speak and read and write English, right, are we all therefore, Englishmen?? Obviously not, we all USE English because it is free of the politics of identity. language is a utility, not an identity, unless you make it one of course.

I agree that itshould be made in Pak whatever form it takes.
But if you look at it, the thing called culture is not maunfactured. if there is a set of people in a place a culture , practise , way of doing things evolves automatically. thats why you have office culture, google culture, IT culture, etc. The culture that we develop in a place shapes our personalities.
Thats why we find it offensive if people say that your culture is not good and mine is better. same with religion.
So Pak already has a culture merely by its existance only.Dont you think so.

We lived together for decades so adopted each other culture. In our marriages mostly functions and rasams are adopted from your culture.
Its not 'my' culture, its shared culture. Unless you are arab or mughal descendant, you cannot claim to 'adopt' our culture, because it belongs to both.

Back
Top Bottom