What's new

The 'poor' neighbour( old article but nice read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some facts about Pakistan:

Pakistan also is/has:

2nd Largest mines in the world
5th Largest Gold Mines in the world
5th Largest Coal reserves in the world
7th Largest Copper mines in the world
2nd Largest Salt Mines in the World
World’s Largest Deep Sea Port
6th Largest Wheat Producer & exporter in the World
4th Largest Cotton Producer & exporter in the World
7th Largest Rice Producer & exporter in the World
An abundance of water, & the best irrigation system in the World (5 rivers)
The 6th largest population in the world
The 6th Largest Army & the strongest Muslim Army
1st Muslim and 7th Nuclear Power of World
World’s 9th Largest English Speaking Country.
World's 7th largest Pool of Scientists and Engineers
Only Muslim country after Turkey to open Combat Jobs for women
Highest Tele Density in South Asia
Largest WiiMax Network in the World

Among many other things

Good job, but imagine being on the brink of disaster despite all the above.. makes it even worse ;)

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I was referring to Japan, and how it managed to become a developed economy so quickly, with growth rates of only around 5% in the 1970's onwards. I merely said that the same principle could apply to Pakistan as well, i.e. it's easier to raise GDP per capita with a smaller population.

According to the World Bank, to be classified as a "developed country", you need a GDP per capita of over $11,000.

For reference, Hong Kong has a GDP per capita of $31,591. Mainland China has a GDP per capita of $4,382. India has a GDP per capita of $1,265.

The populations are just TOO large. It will take a very, very, long time for us to become developed countries.

The consolation I suppose, is that we will still become some of the biggest economies in the world, even with a low GDP per capita. China is already 2nd biggest even with our modest average income. In terms of "overall national power", China and India will be very strong.

Ur right cd that small country if on right track will take less time to develop.But in case of japan u missed their population growth rate.Japan hasn't even doubled its population in 40 years.Thats y with modest growth rate but controlled population growth its per capita gdp increased tremendously.

Dharavi is the largest slum in Asia: 2010 UNDP report (FROM THE UNDP WEBSITE!!!)

http://www.undp.org/legalempowermen...es/12_India/12_6_Informal_Business_Rights.pdf

The small entrepreneurs that we have taken up are those operating in the Dharavi area of the city. This area is/was known as the largest slum in Asia. It houses not only the slum dwellers who live in shacks or semi-pucca (permanent) houses. There are also a number of small industries in the slum that provide livelihood for a large section of the resident slum dwellers. The industries covered are similar to the HHIs in Delhi.

Dharavi:

Dharavi.jpg

Orangi Town:

building.jpg

Lol Bilal at it again !!! :lol:

Do you want me to post , yet again the same links I posted that day ??

For starters this is NOT a UNDP link as the poster seems to carry it.

:lol:

UNDP.ORG is a UNDP link. And I've quoted you the 2010 UNDP report. I've seen the other 2007 UNDP report that had a quote from National Geographic (not from the UNDP themselves) that 'Dharavi was not the largest slum in Asia but Orangi was'. Anyways, let's stop the whole slum discussion here.

UNDP.ORG is a UNDP link. And I've quoted you the 2010 UNDP report. I've seen the other 2007 UNDP report that had a quote from National Geographic (not from the UNDP themselves) that 'Dharavi was not the largest slum in Asia but Orangi was'. Anyways, let's stop the whole slum discussion here.

Again this is not written or researched by UNDP. It is written by a professor/student/janitor in TISS. And just shows that the poor author is not in touch with reality but rather got carried away by watching Danny Boyle few times. :lol:

And yes no slum discussion because Pakistan has no ground to lecture India on that.

Again this is not written or researched by UNDP. It is written by a professor/student/janitor in TISS. And just shows that the poor author is not in touch with reality but rather got carried away by watching Danny Boyle few times.

And yes no slum discussion because Pakistan has no ground to lecture India on that.

You're right, because the pictures of Dharavi speak for themselves ;)

Lol Bilal at it again !!! :lol:

Do you want me to post , yet again the same links I posted that day ??

For starters this is NOT a UNDP link as the poster seems to carry it.

Besides all that link says is Dharavi was the largest slum

However by percentage i am curious to know how much % of Pakistani urban population lives in slums.
For 2007 it was more than that of India

2010 or 2011 India had almost same % as China's slum population, i wonder how Pakistan is doing

Some facts about Pakistan:

Pakistan also is/has:

2nd Largest mines in the world
5th Largest Gold Mines in the world
5th Largest Coal reserves in the world
7th Largest Copper mines in the world
2nd Largest Salt Mines in the World
World’s Largest Deep Sea Port
6th Largest Wheat Producer & exporter in the World
4th Largest Cotton Producer & exporter in the World
7th Largest Rice Producer & exporter in the World
An abundance of water, & the best irrigation system in the World (5 rivers)
The 6th largest population in the world
The 6th Largest Army & the strongest Muslim Army
1st Muslim and 7th Nuclear Power of World
World’s 9th Largest English Speaking Country.
World's 7th largest Pool of Scientists and Engineers
Only Muslim country after Turkey to open Combat Jobs for women
Highest Tele Density in South Asia
Largest WiiMax Network in the World

Among many other things
salt mine...???Anything too good in it?
Coal:
Coal-mining region - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I dont see Pakistan in the list of major regions..

Copper..India produces more than Pakistan..http://www.indexmundi.com/en/commodities/minerals/copper/copper_t20.htm
l
Gold holdings..:lol: :Pakistan is at rank 40 and India is at 11...Gold reserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2nd largest mines??What are you talking about?:rofl: What does that mean?10 Biggest Hole Mines in the World | Listphobia

Wheat:Pakistan is the 8th largest wheat producing country..India is the 2nd largest..International wheat production statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cotton:Finally some truth..but hey India still ahead of Pakistan..we are 3rd largest..COTTON PRODUCING COUNTRIES

rice:Lie again! Pakistan not even in top 10,India's 2nd...Top Ten Countries With Most Rice Producing Countries

abundance of water..India also has...Pakistan has best irrigation system in the world?:rofl: I haven't come across any ranking system that ranks countries on irrigation system ,what Pakistan can have rains and monsoons by its own choice?:rofl:

Pakistan 6th largest population..India 2nd....nothing to be proud of??But its a big problem!

India's army is 2nd largest...:D Muslim army??Who cares...the world doesn't revolve around muslims countries..

India's the second largest english speaking country:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population..btw is this something to be proud off?

again muslim nuclear power of the world..does it matter?? And India's nuclear strength is enough to tackle small sized Pakistan..we are the 7th largest country in the world..so you do need more nukes..

scientists and engineers:We have the second largest pool..

Combat jobs for woman: Great...so where your women have freedom is violence and fight again!! not in other fields ?

Tele density:Pakistan: 60 %Pakistan Tele Density Market Grew by 2.2 Percent | Pak Spider
India:~70 pc...Communications in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wiimax network??Trust me..does it matter?

Conclusion::You kiddy liar!!

scientists and engineers:We have the second largest pool..

Combat jobs for woman: Great...so where your women have freedom is violence and fight again!! not in other fields ?

Anyways, some of the lesser known airports in Pakistan:

RYK_ehtesham_husain_photographsofryk_81uy3rb51p.jpg

4874242.jpg

I can post some buildings of Dharavi and some gutter streets of Orangi.But I won't cause unlike you we don't take glee or enjoyment in the aesthetics of slums.

Slums are squalor in urban areas

orgi town... do not confuse people.... original orgi town....

dangers.jpg

well...if so i can confuse people too....dharavi is like this

1233789.jpg

Yeah lol....Few pictures on net say everything.

But one thing Dharavi doesn't have the Mohajir-Pathan problems or the indiscriminate shootings in Orangi ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom