What's new

The largest tank battle in history: Battle of Kursk documentary

I expected that. Whenever its about poverty or minorities in India you guys spam with wiki articles, but ones you see something that brings bad light on Pakistan its a Indian/western/(and my personal favorite)ZIONIST PROPAGANDA!!!! EEEEVILLLLLLLLLL
Or its simply a conspiracy. :rofl:

'Pakistanis love conspiracy theories'

'Pakistanis love conspiracy theories' | Asia | DW.DE | 16.10.2012

Its utter nonsense and a waste of time to discuss with these guys forget it.

Dude we dont quote wikipedia about minorities india because its info is not based on facts.....it at its is just a communitical soruce thats why it contradicts itself in different pages.What we do is we quote indian sources n international organizations/media which can be neutral for u atleast if not for us.
and from wiki people usually quote chats for rate n levels of poverty, not info. I dont do that personally but never the less if u dont agree then tell the person who shows it that u want him to give more credible sources. Thanks.

And yeah u may make a fun of us as we r already down n out nation so now everyone is trying to score over us this DW.DE is another example of it.

what im saying is right n abt wars, not about some ''malala or cia''. This DW.DE is a news source of a NATO country itself(turkey or germany i think) n we all know they attack our soldiers in the border areas kill them for no reason then they cry like a little baby when we block their supplies. So to us now a days they r as bias as indian sources or local Pakistani sources towards u.

So yr misunderstanding of ''utter nonsence & waste of time to discuss with us''

is not appreciated in Pakistan's defence forum in which u r posting such comments.
If u dont like us or see we r not worth it then its better for u to join yr own forums where u can do anything u like u may literally Abuse or country n nation we not say a word but yr same BS will not be appreciated in PDF.

Though I agree with the rest of your post, the bolded part is NOT TRUE. There is no evidence whatsoever to support Stalin was about to attack Nazi germany.
Stalin wasn't going to attack just Germany, rather whole of mainland Europe was faced with the threat of an imminent Soviet invasion. Stalin's plan was to let the Germans, French, and Brits fight it out until all sides became exhausted and thus the perfect opportunity for the Red Army to come in and "liberate" Europe from capitalist/imperialist states.

But to everyone's astonishment (including Stalin's), Hitler quickly defeated and conquered all opposition in mainland Europe and forced the Brits to make a hasty retreat through Dunkirk.

Now, coming to your claim that "there was no evidence that Stalin was about to attack Germany (rather Europe)", well there is plenty of evidence, in fact i don't even know where to start.

From Soviet weapons and plans captured by the Germans, to speeches made by Stalin himself, to the military preparations made by the Red army, and to the confessions of former Red army officials close to Stalin. All hinted or directly made obvious the Soviet intention of invading Europe, and Hitler's Germany stood in the way since no other force in Europe was capable enough to stand in the way of Stalin's grand plan.

1) Stalin, as any dictator would, knew that a country as big as USSR would never be out of this world war. Eventually they had o join it. But , you have to understand USSR at this time was not friendly with the west. They were IDEOLOGICALLY OPPOSITE to western ideologies. Stalin wanted to wait and let the other powers fight it out and destroy themselves.
Which only supports my point.

2) Another failed strategy of Germany was to hit USSR before finishing off Britain. But then again, the point is, if Germany coul not beat USSR in 1941, would they be able to in 1942?

3) At first, Germany was winning in Russia. The only two big mistakes that Hitler did were to treat the slavs as sub-human. Many had earlier welcomed the Germans with open hands (Blatic states, Ukraine, etc.) Secondly, he often interfered with his generals and dictated against a militarily sound plan.

4) Why USSR was on the brink of collapse at first? Two points: Firstly, after the great purges of Stalin in 37-38, most of the top leadership of Soviet Military were immature and inexperiened commies. Secondly, even after many scret info. to stalin that Germans are on the brink of a n attack, he dismissed these claims (he found it atrocious to believe this as he had just signed a treaty with hitler) and forbade to react accordingly to face the attack n the western frontiers.

For more details, I would suggest interested posters here to visit forum.axishistory.com and ww2f.com
Minefield for ww2 informations on the net.

Firstly, the USSR was well prepared for war, that too an offensive war. That was the nature of the Soviet Union since Communism is an internationalist ideology and seeks to spread through conflicts and revolutions until it encompasses the entire globe.

30th September 1939, Soviet Union attacks Finland and forces it into a humiliating armistice.

21st February 1940, Soviet Union attacks Sweden.

18th June 1940, Soviet Union invades and annexes Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania.

27th June 1940, Soviet Union forcefully annexes Bessarabia (Moldova) from Romania.

These were all aggressive moves on the part of the Soviet Union and it was yet to invade more European countries.Thus, the aggressive posture of the Soviet Union was apparent to everyone, large concentrations of Red Army troops on Western Soviet border was proof enough that Stalin was going to invade (already had) main land Europe, which of course includes Germany.

If Stalin wasn't going to attack Germany then why were there more than 21,000 Soviet Tanks, tens of thousands of artillery guns, and thousands of aircraft stationed so close to the border with European countries (including Germany)?

How come 3 million red army troops surrendered to the Germans within weeks, why such a concentration of troops if no plans for offensive war? Wehrmacht invaded with 3 million Axis troops, and for every 1 axis soldier there was a red army POW, that is no small number, add to that millions of more red army troops yet to surrender.

And now you brought up the claim that due to the purges red army suffered defeats, but how come red army managed to successfully halt German advances in Stalingrad and elsewhere (as well as Kursk) and thus finally launch a massive offensive till they reached Berlin?

It only proves that Hitler forced Stalin into a defensive war in the initial stages of operation Barbarossa, and the Red army only suffered because it was prepared only for offensive war, however they retook to defensive posture in 1942-1943 and once the German Blitzkrieg lost steam the Red army resumed its offensive posture from 1944-1945.

Secondly, coming to the relations between the invading German Army and the Slavs, over a million former Red army troops as well as other Russians of different ethnicities joined the Waffen SS and Wehrmacht, though they were employed as police and anti-partisan units that operated in the rear.

Of course, there was racial discrimination against the Slavs, they were viewed as sub-humans by some, if not many, Germans, partly due to the fact that the Red army was bound by no international laws on how it treated its POW's, and the Reds were famous for torturing their victims in the most gruesome manners. There were even cases were whole villages were starved by the Red army and the NKVD for collective punishment of the local populations (Holodomor), executions of the peasant class, mass rape, cannibalism, the Katyn forest massacre in which all Polish officers and intellectuals captured by the Soviets were butchered, all of this the Germans witnessed in Stalins so called "utopia" and thus concluded the subhuman nature of the Soviet Union. Of course, this view is further reinforced by the behavior of Red army troops as they made their way into Eastern and Central Europe, drunk on Vodka and raping, pillaging, looting, and destroying as they came.

As General Patton himself noted in his diary when he came into contact with Red Army "Officers":

"I have never seen in any army at any time, including the German Imperial Army of 1912, as severe discipline as exists in the Russian army. The officers, with few exceptions, give the appearance of recently civilized Mongolian bandits."

Stalin wasn't going to attack just Germany, rather whole of mainland Europe was faced with the threat of an imminent Soviet invasion. Stalin's plan was to let the Germans, French, and Brits fight it out until all sides became exhausted and thus the perfect opportunity for the Red Army to come in and "liberate" Europe from capitalist/imperialist

Yes buddy, that is exactly what I said in my last post. This is what I said :

Stalin, as any dictator would, knew that a country as big as USSR would never be out of this world war. Eventually they had o join it. But , you have to understand USSR at this time was not friendly with the west. They were IDEOLOGICALLY OPPOSITE to western ideologies. Stalin wanted to wait and let the other powers fight it out and destroy themselves.

But in now way, he was about to attack Germany in 1941, let alone 1942. In fact there are scores of accounts of how shell shocked he was on 22nd Jun. If USSR had plans to attack Nazi Germany (some Generals did have, but not Stalin in 1941), they wouldn't have been taken by such a huge surprise throughout the front.

Suvorov and other sources pre-1991 doesn't mean anything, as after the collapase of the Soviet Union, the National Historical archives at Moscow has seen many scholars research for many hidden truths behind the iron curtains. All these things that you hear from Soviet generals that if Stalin ordered, they would have attacked Germany etc. are outright propaganda and masking their incompetence. Same as German generals who blame everything on Hitler post-Moscow 1941.

Lets look at the picture in 1941:

1) Soviet Union was still suffereing from the purges of 1930's. No STAVKA yet and no proper division of commands. Infact, NKVD are indispersed along the front doing anti-political duties in east Poland and Baltic. Hardly any sign of an impending attack on Nazi Germany.

Also, the figure of 15 million (5 miilion of them security, NKVD and other services)
Soviet troops at the border was a myth. If anything, Soviet frontline extended 150 kms from the interiors and from Finnish coast to the Black sea. So hardly a 5:1 ratio as stated by those who support Soviet Unioin was on the verge of an attack. There is a link in Russian but I don't think I would be able to tranlate you the whole document. So I am posting a related discussion too on the topic on another forum.

(1941-1945 .). 1 (22 1941 .).

Axis History Forum • USSR troop alignments along German frontier in June 1941

Would Stalin have attacked Germany in 1941/42 - Page 2
2) These sources clearly show around 35-40 % of this 15 million Soviet manpower was NKVD, Red Air Force and Navy personnel. So, the troop facing Germany would be less than 10 miilion. Add to that the soviet troop alignment, which was unlike Germany, was not concentrated on the frontiers.

http://rkka.ru/maps/pribovo.jpg
http://rkka.ru/maps/zapovo2.jpg
http://rkka.ru/maps/kovo.jpg

HOW CAN YOU CALL THIS CONCENTRATION OF FORCES ATTACKING??

3) As far as the equipment goes, Hitler had falsely claimed to Mannerheim in 1942 that Soviets had more than 35000 tanks, etc.... Yes, they had an advantage of 3:1 in tanks and armour. But most were outdated BT tanks. Infact, KV tanks and T34 had not even debuted. Also, only 5 dividions had T34s as on 22 Jun 1941. Hardly an attacking force. Same with the air force. Most of the planes of the Red Army were from an by-gone era, hardly a match for Germany's Stukas, Bf109s and He HS111s.

4) Most importantly, German Army was at its nadir at this point. Stalin in no way hoped to win against Germany head on. He WAS SURE THAT HE WOULD HAVE TO ATTACK GERMANY sometime in the future. But certainly not untill 1943 at the earliest.

30th September 1939, Soviet Union attacks Finland and forces it into a humiliating armistice.

21st February 1940, Soviet Union attacks Sweden.

What?? Humiliating armistice?? Are you sure?? It was an humiliation for A COUNTRY AS BIG AS USSR to not finish off Finland. Infact, this winter war was an inspiration for Hitler to feel USSR was weak.

Winter War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just look at the casualty figure for each side and grasp how can a tiny army of Finland hold the massive soviet army.

It was not a victory to USSR in any way as they gained less and lost so much strategically.

Your second point is wrong buddy . USSR never attacked SWEDEN. :undecided: In fact, sweden was neutral from start to end, though they had granted military access to Finland and Germany (after 1941).

I would suggest go though this site and this particular discussion which I was lucky enough to be a part of. Some of the poster here are renowned authors and actual military men from WW2.

Axis History Forum • Was Soviet Union preparing to attack the Germany?

Yes buddy, that is exactly what I said in my last post. This is what I said :
But it didn't turn out to be the case that France, Britain, and Germany had a slugging match on mainland Europe as in WW1 (the way Stalin had hoped), Hitler's armies quickly swept aside all opposition (as i said in my previous post) and still had quite a lot of resources, thus Stalin needed a change of plans.

But in now way, he was about to attack Germany in 1941, let alone 1942. In fact there are scores of accounts of how shell shocked he was on 22nd Jun. If USSR had plans to attack Nazi Germany (some Generals did have, but not Stalin in 1941), they wouldn't have been taken by such a huge surprise throughout the front.

1). Stalin was "shell shocked" (more like disappointed) only because Hitler shattered his plan, he thought Hitler was focused on invading Britain rather than planning on an offensive for the Soviet Union.

2). High ranking Soviet Generals could not have made such offensive plans without Stalin's approval because if that were the case then they cost the Soviet Union immensely by doing so and were liable to execution at the orders of Stalin, but no such executions took place.

3). They were taken by surprise when Operation Barbarossa was launched, however had they prepared a good defence as they did at Kursk, perhaps the German offensive would have failed from the onset.

As i said in my previous post (though it seems you intentionally cut that portion of my previous post out, including many other portions as well),

Suvorov and other sources pre-1991 doesn't mean anything, as after the collapase of the Soviet Union, the National Historical archives at Moscow has seen many scholars research for many hidden truths behind the iron curtains. All these things that you hear from Soviet generals that if Stalin ordered, they would have attacked Germany etc. are outright propaganda and masking their incompetence. Same as German generals who blame everything on Hitler post-Moscow 1941.

1). This doesn't void the fact that there were more than 3 million Soviet Troops, more than 21,000 Soviet Tanks, and 10,000 aircraft on the Soviet border with Germany and other European countries.

2). Neither does this void the countless admissions of Soviet Generals captured by the Germans after Barbarossa, including high ranking Soviet General Andrei Vlassov, that the Red army was going to launch its own offensive against Germany and Europe in general around August-September, 1941.

1) Soviet Union was still suffereing from the purges of 1930's. No STAVKA yet and no proper division of commands. Infact, NKVD are indispersed along the front doing anti-political duties in east Poland and Baltic. Hardly any sign of an impending attack on Nazi Germany.

The purge myth is nothing but an excuse to cover for the red army's failure in Barbarossa.

Infact, NKVD are indispersed along the front doing anti-political duties in east Poland and Baltic. Hardly any sign of an impending attack on Nazi Germany.

That is pretty typical of the NKVD, has nothing to do with more than 3 million Red army troops and 21,000+ Tanks as well as thousands of artillery guns and 10,000+ aircraft massed on the Soviet-European frontier, unless of course the NKVD was going to man and pilot all of these weapons?

Also, the figure of 15 million (5 miilion of them security, NKVD and other services)
Soviet troops at the border was a myth. If anything, Soviet frontline extended 150 kms from the interiors and from Finnish coast to the Black sea. So hardly a 5:1 ratio as stated by those who support Soviet Unioin was on the verge of an attack. There is a link in Russian but I don't think I would be able to tranlate you the whole document. So I am posting a related discussion too on the topic on another forum.

(1941-1945 .). 1 (22 1941 .).

Axis History Forum • USSR troop alignments along German frontier in June 1941

Would Stalin have attacked Germany in 1941/42 - Page 2
2) These sources clearly show around 35-40 % of this 15 million Soviet manpower was NKVD, Red Air Force and Navy personnel. So, the troop facing Germany would be less than 10 miilion. Add to that the soviet troop alignment, which was unlike Germany, was not concentrated on the frontiers.

So what's less than 10 million? 3 million, 4 million, 5 million, 6 million, 7 million, 8 million, 9 million? That's still a considerably large force of men. 3 million is the lowest you can go because every historian agrees that there were at least 3 million+ Soviet troops only because that was the amount captured by the German in the first weeks of Operation Barbarossa.

Secondly, as i said before, if Germany's offensive consisted of 3 million Axis troops, what makes you think that 10 million or less can't be used for offensive?

I don't know the accuracy of these maps or their authentication.

3) As far as the equipment goes, Hitler had falsely claimed to Mannerheim in 1942 that Soviets had more than 35000 tanks,
Whether if he falsely claimed or miscalculated, fact is everyone agrees that it was 21,000+ Tanks, at least between 21,000-25,000 with the accumulation of more Soviet armor. Hitler said in his speech:

"I may say this today: If the wave of more than 20,000 tanks, hundreds of divisions, tens of thousands of artillery pieces, along with more than 10,000 airplanes, had not been kept from being set into motion against the Reich, Europe would have been lost ..."

etc.... Yes, they had an advantage of 3:1 in tanks and armour. But most were outdated BT tanks. Infact, KV tanks and T34 had not even debuted. Also, only 5 dividions had T34s as on 22 Jun 1941.

Outdated according to what? Those BT Tanks had far better muzzle velocity with greater penetrating power than the guns of the German tanks participating in operation Barbarossa. They were much faster and had decent armor for their time (1939-1941).

T-34-hist-BT-7.jpg

Most German armor was composed of these Panzer 2's:

PanzerII.jpg

The Germans had nothing in the class of this beast (the Wehrmacht fought a single one of these KV's for 48 hours):

kv1.jpg

Meanwhile this was the latest German Tank operational in operation Barbarossa :

panzer-3-pzkpfw-iii_8.jpg

In the outbreak of Operation Barbarossa, Germany had no heavy tanks, only 309 medium tanks, and just 2,668 light, inferior tanks.

As General Heinz Guderian notes in his memoir Panzer Leader (1952/1996, p. 143):

"In the spring of 1941, Hitler had specifically ordered that a Russian military commission be shown over our tank schools and factories; in this order he had insisted that nothing be concealed from them. The Russian officers in question firmly refused to believe that the Panzer IV was in fact our heaviest tank. They said repeatedly that we must be hiding our newest models from them, and complained that we were not carrying out Hitler's order to show them everything. The military commission was so insistent on this point that eventually our manufacturers and Ordnance Office officials concluded: "It seems that the Russians must already possess better and heavier tanks than we do." It was at the end of July 1941 that the T34 tank appeared on the front and the riddle of the new Russian model was solved."

Hardly an attacking force. Same with the air force. Most of the planes of the Red Army were from an by-gone era, hardly a match for Germany's Stukas, Bf109s and He HS111s.

Those BF-109's parked in an airfield would be an easy picking for even a WW1 era biplane in a preemptive strike by thousands of Soviet aircraft.

4) Most importantly, German Army was at its nadir at this point. Stalin in no way hoped to win against Germany head on. He WAS SURE THAT HE WOULD HAVE TO ATTACK GERMANY sometime in the future. But certainly not untill 1943 at the earliest.
Not according to the captured intel Soviet generals provided the Wehrmacht after OB was launched.

What?? Humiliating armistice?? Are you sure?? It was an humiliation for A COUNTRY AS BIG AS USSR to not finish off Finland. Infact, this winter war was an inspiration for Hitler to feel USSR was weak.

Winter War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just look at the casualty figure for each side and grasp how can a tiny army of Finland hold the massive soviet army.

It was not a victory to USSR in any way as they gained less and lost so much strategically.
Point was, it was an aggressive act on the part of Soviet Union which only proves my point that they had an expansionist policy towards Europe, and despite the very harsh winter climate the Red army did capture territory which was never returned to Finland.

Your second point is wrong buddy . USSR never attacked SWEDEN. :undecided: In fact, sweden was neutral from start to end, though they had granted military access to Finland and Germany (after 1941).

Excuse my typo, i meant to say bombed, not attack:

21/2/1940: the Soviet Union bombs Sweden
A timeline of World War II

I would suggest go though this site and this particular discussion which I was lucky enough to be a part of. Some of the poster here are renowned authors and actual military men from WW2.

Axis History Forum • Was Soviet Union preparing to attack the Germany?

I will look more into these threads when i have time.

The purge myth is nothing but an excuse to cover for the red army's failure in Barbarossa.

Myth? Such a casual denial of the great purge is an insult to those who suffered.

How many died?

In the original version of his book The Great Terror, Robert Conquest gave the following estimates of those arrested, executed, and incarcerated during the height of the Purge:

Arrests, 1937-1938 - about 7 million
Executed - about 1 million
Died in camps - about 2 million
In prison, late 1938 - about 1 million
In camps, late 1938 - about 8 million

Conquest concluded that "not more than 10 percent of those then in camp survived." Updating his figures in the late 1980s based on recently-released archival sources, he increased the number of "arrests" to 8 million, but reduced the number in camps to "7 million, or even a little less." This would give a total death toll for the main Purge period of just under ten million people. About 98 percent of the dead (Gendercide Watch's calculation) were male.

The estimates are "only approximations," Conquest notes, and "anything like complete accuracy on the casualty figures is probably unattainable." But "it now seems that further examination of the data will not go far from the estimates we now have except, perhaps, to show them to be understated"; and "in any case, the sheer magnitudes of the Stalin holocaust are now beyond doubt." He cites Joseph Berger's remark that the atrocities of Stalin's rule "left the Soviet Union in the condition of 'a country devastated by nuclear warfare.'" (All figures and quotes from Conquest, The Great Terror: A Reassessment, pp. 485-88.)

Gendercide Watch: Stalin's Purges

From a later time but relevant.
There in that stinking damp world in which only executioners and the most blatant of betrayers flourished, where those who remained honest became drunkards, since they had no strength of will for anything else ... in which every night the gray-green hand reached out and collared someone in order to pop him into a box -- in that world millions of women wandered about lost and blinded, whose husbands, sons, or fathers had been torn from them and dispatched to the Archipelago. They were the most scared of all. They feared shiny nameplates, office doors, telephone rings, knocks on the door, the postman, the milkwoman, and the plumber. And everyone in whose path they stood drove them from their apartments, from their work, and from the city. ... And these women had children who grew up, and for each one there came a time of extreme need when they absolutely had to have their father back, before it was too late, but he never came. (The Gulag Archipelago, vol. 2, p. 664.)

But it didn't turn out to be the case that France, Britain, and Germany had a slugging match on mainland Europe as in WW1 (the way Stalin had hoped), Hitler's armies quickly swept aside all opposition (as i said in my previous post) and still had quite a lot of resources, thus Stalin needed a change of plans.

2). Neither does this void the countless admissions of Soviet Generals captured by the Germans after Barbarossa, including high ranking Soviet General Andrei Vlassov, that the Red army was going to launch its own offensive against Germany and Europe in general around August-September, 1941.

I don't know the accuracy of these maps or their authentication.

Above three points from you clearly suggests what I am dealing with. You seem to believe all those Russian generals who support your point, but at the same time refute facts even supported by neutral sources (like NARA and as Vassnti posted).

Then you claim propaganda by Hitler and co. as fact while the same from Russian archives (bolded part) are not accurate. Great.

Which again supports my point that Stalin and his generals were taken aback and had no choice but to act accordingly. What they did is common sense. When you have a hostile country who has defeated anything in its path since 1939 with close to 2 million soldiers on your borders (Hitler claimed they are in E.Prussia/ Poland to save them from British bombing), what do you do? Yes. Simple. You concentrate your forces too at the border. But far from a coherent strategy of defence, Soviet leadership was in two minds wheteher to provoke Hitler or not. Hardly a thought process when you are going to attack as claimed by you.

2). High ranking Soviet Generals could not have made such offensive plans without Stalin's approval because if that were the case then they cost the Soviet Union immensely by doing so and were liable to execution at the orders of Stalin, but no such executions took place.

:woot: Seems you have not heard of Timoshenko-Zhukov pre-emptive strike plan of May 1941 It was an Offensive plan. Could cost Soviet Union dearly if failed......Still no executions.

So what prevents them from thinking of alternative plans individually for future scope of actions? During STAVKA meetings, almost all plans were forwarded by Budenny, Temeshenko, Zhukov (among others. to Stalin). Which were then edited or changed accordingly by Stalin. FYI these generals were not killed. You know why? Because when they came up with the pans, they were not fools to reveal it to Stalin immediately. They waited for the right time.

A very good example is "Operation Little Saturn" after the success of operation Uranus. Soviet generals had the plans ready by 1942 October and then forwarded them to Stalin for his approval and changes during December. Bingo! They were not killed.

Code:
Beevor, Antony (1998). Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege: 1942 - 1943. page-84,85,86
Glantz, David M.; Jonathan House (1995). When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler.  http://books.google.co.in/books/about/When_Titans_clashed.html?id=Zv9nAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

3). They were taken by surprise when Operation Barbarossa was launched, however had they prepared a good defence as they did at Kursk, perhaps the German offensive would have failed from the onset.

Which again supports the idea that Stalin never thought Hitler would have attacked him in 1941, unlike his generals, many of whom had asked his permission to retreat to fight another day during June-July 1941. Another point I would like to mention here is that german offensive would never have succeeded if the Russians had a flexible defence (like Stalingrad 1942) and not 'fight till the end' strategy.

Now the most IMPORTANT fact.
Unlike USSR, Hitler always wanted to attack Russia for his Lebensraum )living spaces for German people in the East.) He even wrote in his book (Mein Kampf) in the 1920s about it. Was there any WW2 then? No. Infact, Hitler invaded Poland just for this. Danzig was a mask t reveal his actual intention. He needed common border with Soviet Union to attack it. And he thought that Russia would collapse easily. That is why he said : "All we have to do is kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come falling down".

There are memoirs from Nehring in his "Geschichte der deutschen Panzerwaffe" about armour planning and exercises as far back as 1935 in this effect.

So what's less than 10 million? 3 million, 4 million, 5 million, 6 million, 7 million, 8 million, 9 million? That's still a considerably large force of men. 3 million is the lowest you can go because every historian agrees that there were at least 3 million+ Soviet troops only because that was the amount captured by the German in the first weeks of Operation Barbarossa.

Secondly, as i said before, if Germany's offensive consisted of 3 million Axis troops, what makes you think that 10 million or less can't be used for offensive?

Here is the explanation....... Out of the 10 million troops(lets take this number as you said), hardly 50% was on the front. As I have already posted the troop concentrations in the last post (You can refer NARA archives, Glantz' book on Soviet leadership as well as other internet sources).
German equipments (yes including inferior tanks as you calim) were far better than non-operational Soviet equipments and non-existant Soviet doctrines. German anti-tank guns (PAKs, 88mm used as AT) and Howitzers were more capable than Soviet counterparts.

Red Army Studies, Books

[url=http://postimage.org/image/9fr1l8kyl/][/url]

On paper,the Western military district had the following tanks:
1) 97 KV
2) 228 T 34
3) 410 BT-7
4) 183 BT-5
5) 68 BT-2
6) 1321 T-26 (with 8 prime movers)

To simplify the discussion, this was the ACTUAL GROUND STATE of the tanks:

Type 1) Very new machines. No doctrine available to commanders whatsoever. Lack of training courses. Only centre nearest to the front is in Orel/ Tula. (3500 kms away from the actual fighting)

Type 2) Comparitively new. Lack of trained tankmen and commanders. Lacks radio sets (common to most German Panzers)

Type 3) Backbone of Soviet armour along with T26. Needs major overhaul

Type 4 and 5) Outdated by any standard. Unlike German Blitzkrieg tactics, Soviet don't have Panzer mk III and IV to shield them.

Type 6) Most were used piecemeal and easily obliterated by Panzer divisions. Many were inoperational owing to lack of maintenance.

PS: OFFTOPIC. It seems that you are a fan of Erwin Rommel.;) Personally he is my favourite WW2 General. Many western military men used to admire his skills in the desert as well as his heroics with the Ghost division (7 Panzer division in France, 1940). As much as I love him, I also agree with many people and their conclusions that at times, he endangered his troops by being too close to the front and not at the HQ. Heroism and bravery aside, a Field marshall is ought to be at his HQ and not the front. You see, there are two sides of a coin. What I want to point out is that every part of WW2 is debatable. There is no direct proof that Hitler was an anti-semite apart from his speeches. No evidence whatsoever to tell that had he allowed his generals to proceed to Moscow and not Uman in 1941 oct., Germany would have won. No proof whatsoever that All German Wehrmacht soldiers were nazis or anti-semite.

You see, things are not black and white. There is a shade of grey in-between. All the WW2 discussions somewhere or the other use deductions and conclusions which are highly subjective.I respect your views but that doesn't mean the opposite might not be true. Same applies to me. The truth is somewhere in between.

Kursk battle (1943):
2900 German tanks vs. 5000 Soviet => 7900 total

Yom Kippur war (1973):
2100 Israeli tanks vs. 4500 Arab => 6600 total

Rovno-Brody battle (1941):
800 German tanks vs. 2500 Soviet => 3300 total

Six Day war (1967)
1000 Israeli tanks vs. 1500 Arab => 2500 total

Myth? Such a casual denial of the great purge is an insult to those who suffered.

How many died?

Gendercide Watch: Stalin's Purges

From a later time but relevant.

Excuse my bad choice of vocabulary and incorrect use of context. By "myth" i mean a "myth" as in it is an excuse used to explain the Red Army's failure in the initial stages of the Eastern Front.

I didn't mean to malign or downplay the sufferings of the Russian people at the hands of the Communist regime.

Above three points from you clearly suggests what I am dealing with. You seem to believe all those Russian generals who support your point, but at the same time refute facts even supported by neutral sources (like NARA and as Vassnti posted).

Well, didn't you dismiss my sources as "outright propaganda, and masking of incompetence"?

Then you claim propaganda by Hitler and co. as fact while the same from Russian archives (bolded part) are not accurate. Great.

I posted that quote from Hitler's speech only because you yourself posted a quote ascribed to Hitler. Secondly, in the quote i posted from Hitler's speech, Hitler mentions "more than 20,000 tanks", which even today those historians who say there was no Soviet plan to invade Europe at all, now agree that the Soviet number of tanks was between 21,000-25,000.

Which again supports my point that Stalin and his generals were taken aback and had no choice but to act accordingly. What they did is common sense. When you have a hostile country who has defeated anything in its path since 1939 with close to 2 million soldiers on your borders (Hitler claimed they are in E.Prussia/ Poland to save them from British bombing), what do you do? Yes. Simple. You concentrate your forces too at the border. But far from a coherent strategy of defence, Soviet leadership was in two minds wheteher to provoke Hitler or not. Hardly a thought process when you are going to attack as claimed by you.

1). If it were the case that Stalin and his generals feared a invasion from Hitler then why did they not take any defensive measures? You mentioned "What they (Stalin and his Generals) did is common sense", but how so if common sense would be to prepare defensive measures like mine fields, anti tank mines, and decoy targets when faced with "2 million" enemy troops, rather than dismantle any defensive positions.

2). "A hostile country"?? As in Germany a "threat" to Soviet Russia, how?? If i'm correct, Soviet Russia betrayed the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact by supporting coups (Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgaria) and invading/annexing other European countries that were either friendly to Germany or just neutral, that too when most of German armed forces were still concentrated in the West.

3). As i stated in my point 2, Soviet leadership was already doing a great job in "provoking" Hitler by supporting coups in German friendly countries and recognizing governments that openly displayed hostility towards Germany.

:woot: Seems you have not heard of Timoshenko-Zhukov pre-emptive strike plan of May 1941 It was an Offensive plan. Could cost Soviet Union dearly if failed......Still no executions.

So what prevents them from thinking of alternative plans individually for future scope of actions? During STAVKA meetings, almost all plans were forwarded by Budenny, Temeshenko, Zhukov (among others. to Stalin). Which were then edited or changed accordingly by Stalin. FYI these generals were not killed. You know why? Because when they came up with the pans, they were not fools to reveal it to Stalin immediately. They waited for the right time.

A very good example is "Operation Little Saturn" after the success of operation Uranus. Soviet generals had the plans ready by 1942 October and then forwarded them to Stalin for his approval and changes during December. Bingo! They were not killed.

Well, these circumstances as you described above are not the same as in planning a preemptive strike and then assembling formations and concentrations of troops in preparation for an offensive, that too without the knowledge of Stalin, because such massive movements of troops are hardly concealable, and despite the Red Army suffering such massive losses in men and material and yet no General was executed, therefore it only makes sense that these generals were following Stalin's orders.

Which again supports the idea that Stalin never thought Hitler would have attacked him in 1941, unlike his generals, many of whom had asked his permission to retreat to fight another day during June-July 1941. Another point I would like to mention here is that german offensive would never have succeeded if the Russians had a flexible defence (like Stalingrad 1942) and not 'fight till the end' strategy.
But that still doesn't explain the massive concentration of troops, armored vehicles, and aircraft on the Soviet-European frontier.

If not for defensive purpose because as you said "Stalin never thought Hitler would have attacked him in 1941", then the only other reason for stationing such massive numbers of men and material is for the purpose of an offensive attack, or maybe they were just sitting there to be taken as POW's by the Germans once the Germans launched their own offensive.

Now the most IMPORTANT fact.
Unlike USSR, Hitler always wanted to attack Russia for his Lebensraum )living spaces for German people in the East.) He even wrote in his book (Mein Kampf) in the 1920s about it. Was there any WW2 then? No. Infact, Hitler invaded Poland just for this. Danzig was a mask t reveal his actual intention. He needed common border with Soviet Union to attack it. And he thought that Russia would collapse easily. That is why he said : "All we have to do is kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come falling down".

There are memoirs from Nehring in his "Geschichte der deutschen Panzerwaffe" about armour planning and exercises as far back as 1935 in this effect.

1). The "Lebensraum" myth is nothing but that, a myth. The word "Lebensraum" has been used by other high ranking Nazi officials as well like Goebbels in the 25 points of the NSDAP (i believe), but it has been blown proportionally out of context by the victorious allies and others who have vested interests in inflating this WW2 propaganda. The "Lebensraum" the NSDAP referred to, when taken into context with their speeches and statements, was a political, economic, as well as geographic living space. In the form of geography, it was meant to unify all Germanic territories including those which were separated from Germany post WW1. In the form of economic and social reforms it was to revive the German economy and give back the German people their livelihood which too was taken from them post WW1, and finally the political and economic freedom of Germany from all international banks. The NSDAP fulfilled their promise to the German people of Political and socioeconomic freedom and independence, however they still had yet to reunify all Germanic lands and Hitler was in the process of doing so, that is until the British incited the already tense situation between Germany and Poland following the Danzing Massacre in which thousands of Ethnic Germans were murdered in cold blood which then caused Hitler to invade Poland, though only after his foreign minister Ribbentrop signed a non-aggression pact with Stalin in Moscow.

2). Coming to your other point that it was Hitler who always had the intention of war with the Soviet Union, well here is where you're forgetting something. During and after WW1, years before Hitler came into the political scene, in fact when he was just a corporal returning to Germany with no certainty of his future, the Bolsheviks in Russia tried their utmost best to expand communist revolutions Westwards, in particularly into Germany. Today this communist takeover of Germany after WW1 is downplayed, dismissed, and purposely overlooked that not many people even know about it, but 96 years ago there was fear of a Communist takeover of Germany, in fact Communist revolutionaries, backed by "Red guards" (mostly Russian and Eastern European, even Chinese volunteers) did overthrow the German government of Bavaria for a few months and formed the "Bavarian Soviet Republic", which received plenty of material and moral support from Lenin's Soviet Russia, a similar attempt was made to takeover Berlin and other German provinces/cities though these were not that successful since Freikorps and the German army crushed them and finally made their way to the Bavarian capital Munich where the short lived "Bavarian Soviet Republic" and its communist government met its demise. Also, after the demise of the "Bavarian Soviet Republic", Lenin's Red Army made an attempt to invade Poland in 1920 in order to actively support a "Red revolution" in Germany, this time with the direct intervention of the Russian Red Army under the command of Leon Trotsky and Joseph Stalin, but the Polish Nationalist put up a stiff resistance though they did lose large swathes of territory.

3). Now, i can post statements by Stalin and even Lenin of their plans to expand into Europe, Hitler wasn't even in the picture yet, but this post will become too long, not sure if you'd be able to read all of this.

4). Your comment about Hitler wanting a "common border" with the Soviet Union, again here you're forgetting some very important facts; A). The pact for the invasion of Poland was not signed in Berlin, rather in Moscow, B). Stalin had the British and French delegation dismissed and only arranged meetings with the German delegation, had Stalin backed Britains and Frances stance on Poland Hitler would have never invaded Poland and thus the war could have been prevented or delayed at best.

Here is the explanation....... Out of the 10 million troops(lets take this number as you said), hardly 50% was on the front. As I have already posted the troop concentrations in the last post (You can refer NARA archives, Glantz' book on Soviet leadership as well as other internet sources).
German equipments (yes including inferior tanks as you calim) were far better than non-operational Soviet equipments and non-existant Soviet doctrines. German anti-tank guns (PAKs, 88mm used as AT) and Howitzers were more capable than Soviet counterparts.

Red Army Studies, Books

[url=http://postimage.org/image/9fr1l8kyl/][/url]

On paper,the Western military district had the following tanks:
1) 97 KV
2) 228 T 34
3) 410 BT-7
4) 183 BT-5
5) 68 BT-2
6) 1321 T-26 (with 8 prime movers)

To simplify the discussion, this was the ACTUAL GROUND STATE of the tanks:

Type 1) Very new machines. No doctrine available to commanders whatsoever. Lack of training courses. Only centre nearest to the front is in Orel/ Tula. (3500 kms away from the actual fighting)

Type 2) Comparitively new. Lack of trained tankmen and commanders. Lacks radio sets (common to most German Panzers)

Type 3) Backbone of Soviet armour along with T26. Needs major overhaul

Type 4 and 5) Outdated by any standard. Unlike German Blitzkrieg tactics, Soviet don't have Panzer mk III and IV to shield them.

Type 6) Most were used piecemeal and easily obliterated by Panzer divisions. Many were inoperational owing to lack of maintenance.

Well, for one, by 1941, the whole World had witnessed Germany's Blitzkrieg tactics for 3 years, that every army began to copy it as quickly as possible, and the Red Army, being the largest Army in the world at that time, which also had an almost unlimited supply of resources, minerals, and man power needed to arm, maintain, and sustain a war machine (which is exactly what it did considering how rapidly every Russian factory was churning out Tanks in days), it just doesn't make sense that they were lagging or they had a certain deficiency in tactics due to which they failed miserably. Red army had a reputation for putting up a more than formidable defense, camouflage, and decoys to absorb an enemies offense, they are masters at it.

To say that the red army just wasn't "prepared" for war is simply laughable, because the whole point of Stalin's 5 years plan wasn't to industrialize the Soviet economy not for the sake of the benefit of the Russian people, but rather to build a massive war machine unprecedented in its time in order to expand the Soviet Union through wars and conflicts, is that not what the Red Army did when it invaded Japanese Manchuria despite the non-aggression Pact between Japan and Soviet Union?

Japan never declared war on the Soviet Union, yet Stalin did to Japan what Hitler feared he'd do to Germany and Europe had he not launched Operation Barbarossa, that too launch a massive offensive while he himself busy trying to subdue Britain. More than 40% of the Soviet GNP was directed towards its arms buildup and military industrial complex, and if all of this spending wasn't for a offensive army then why was there no defense in 1941, where did all of this money disappear to? Yet the Soviet Union wasn't "prepared for war" aye?

In the March 26, 1992 issue of Izvestia, Russian presidential adviser Anatoly Rakitov stated:

"Over the last six decades, 80 to 90 percent of our national resources - raw material, technical, financial, and intellectual - have been used to create the military-industrial complex. Essentially, the military-industrial complex has absorbed everything that is good and dynamic that Russia has to offer, including its basic economic capacity and its best technology, materials, and specialists. Consequently, the military-industrial complex is virtually synonymous with our economy."

PS: OFFTOPIC. It seems that you are a fan of Erwin Rommel.;) Personally he is my favourite WW2 General. Many western military men used to admire his skills in the desert as well as his heroics with the Ghost division (7 Panzer division in France, 1940). As much as I love him, I also agree with many people and their conclusions that at times, he endangered his troops by being too close to the front and not at the HQ. Heroism and bravery aside, a Field marshall is ought to be at his HQ and not the front. You see, there are two sides of a coin. What I want to point out is that every part of WW2 is debatable. There is no direct proof that Hitler was an anti-semite apart from his speeches. No evidence whatsoever to tell that had he allowed his generals to proceed to Moscow and not Uman in 1941 oct., Germany would have won. No proof whatsoever that All German Wehrmacht soldiers were nazis or anti-semite.

Standards in those days were the complete opposite of what they are today, but the Germans had a chivalrous, or better yet, comradery sort of relations between the infantrymen, officers, and generals. High ranking Generals no longer participate in battles along with their troops, let alone ride amongst them with open top jeeps from where enemy aircraft can easily strafe them.

You see, things are not black and white. There is a shade of grey in-between. All the WW2 discussions somewhere or the other use deductions and conclusions which are highly subjective.I respect your views but that doesn't mean the opposite might not be true. Same applies to me. The truth is somewhere in between.

Regarding the rest of your post about every part of WW2 being debatable, i agree.

BTW, i've hadn't had the time to reply in the past 2 days since i was busy, thus the delay.

Back
Top Bottom