What's new

The Khalistan Diaries

I would take that. Either have a Sikh marriage act if the constitution has one for the Muslims or any other faiths. Or just abolish all mention of religion from the marriage act.

But the trouble is that wedding ceremonies have a distinctly religious nature, specific to every religion. So its essential to ratify a given wedding based on the religious ceremonies followed.

I don't think the bolded part would be a problem as even among the Hindus the rituals vary vastly from region to region. A Rajasthani Hindu marriage will be totally in contrast to a Tamil Hindu marriage and even among the Tamils each caste has its own rituals.

So just have a common marriage act for all and then register in the Govt office after celebrating the marriage in any way you want. Solved.

well i thought bonanza was only icecream....could u plz provide some reference or link where u found Sikhism is a different religion....
Minority status and reservation??? never heard of all those....
And if u know what is the Article 25 of the constitution....

I would agree to u on the first para....all for one or nothing..but then u would have to be communist i gues..

Ranveer, what did you enter as your religion in the census form? If there was a provision for Sikhism in the form then the govt. recognizes it. Lets not rest all the recognition on one act. I agree with you that a Sikh marriage act is needed but lets not attach more connotations to the issue than it deserves. Rest, this is an endless debate.

Thats wrong logic and you know you cant win the debate using this line of reasoning. Dont go further.

Nalwa,

Non indic religions like Islam and Christians have separate codified marriage acts for many centuries.

Whereas indic religions never had codfied version their marrige laws and are pretty much similar to each other in how they practiced.
So it made practical sense to have a common law governing this bunch of similar groups who have no problem with the underlying stipulations of this common marrige act except for its name , instead of having four or five similar set of acts with different names on it.

I don't think the bolded part would be a problem as even among the Hindus the rituals vary vastly from region to region. A Rajasthani Hindu marriage will be totally in contrast to a Tamil Hindu marriage and even among the Tamils each caste has its own rituals.

So just have a common marriage act for all and then register in the Govt office after celebrating the marriage in any way you want. Solved.

You are probably right. But I guess the Sanskrit shlokas that are chanted wont change. We can go into details of the similarities and dissimilarities but its of no use. Agree with the part on bold whole-heartedly.

well i thought bonanza was only icecream....could u plz provide some reference or link where u found Sikhism is a different religion....
Minority status and reservation??? never heard of all those....
And if u know what is the Article 25 of the constitution....

I would agree to u on the first para....all for one or nothing..but then u would have to be communist i gues..

What more would you want me to provide ?

The official Indian Govt website for minorities was given and the Sikhism was there as a distinct religion.Every Govt application form mentions Sikhism as a separate religion

I guess you are reading too much into the naming of one act and them extrapolating that as a threat to Sikhism. As I said Hindu was a name that was coined by the Persians to denote all people East of Indus and this was used as such.

I'm a BJP supporter and I dont want any special treatment to any religion. One law for All Indians is my motto.

As for reservation for Sikhs, I have PM'ed the link to you. Please go though it.

You are probably right. But I guess the Sanskrit shlokas that are chanted wont change. We can go into details of the similarities and dissimilarities but its of no use. Agree with the part on bold whole-heartedly.

No yaar. Even in some Tamil marriages we use Tamil slokas and avoid the Sanskrit ones.

India is too vast a country to have one law for each. These personal issues like marriage should best be left to the people.

How do u know that ur a Hindu or a Muslim or a Sikh as per the Indian government?

Its not census but its as per the constitution or law...now check the article 25 of the consitution with google baba....

Article 25 mentions the word hindu will be used to refer to hindus, sikhs , jains and buddists. It does not make them hindu.
I am counted as hindu as I declared myself so in census. You are counted as sikh.
What substantial change you want in hindu marriage law to make it sikh marriage law. Are you offended to be clubbed with poor ugly hindus?

Nalwa,

Non indic religions like Islam and Christians have separate codified marriage acts for many centuries.

Whereas indic religions never had codfied version their marrige laws and are pretty much similar to each other in how they practiced.
So it made practical sense to have a common law governing this bunch of similar groups who have no problem with the underlying stipulations of this common marrige act except for its name , instead of having four or five similar set of acts with different names on it.

Good point there. I am not sure if the Sikh faith has codified any specific set of marriage laws or ceremonies. I guess its mostly practiced by common tradition.

And I do understand the ease of having one law to govern 'similar' ceremonies. But I also think that if its disaffecting a certain community then whats the harm in amending it?

What more would you want me to provide ?

The official Indian Govt website for minorities was given and the Sikhism was there as a distinct religion.Every Govt application form mentions Sikhism as a separate religion

I guess you are reading too much into the naming of one act and them extrapolating that as a threat to Sikhism. As I said Hindu was a name that was coined by the Persians to denote all people East of Indus and this was used as such.

I'm a BJP supporter and I dont want any special treatment to any religion. One law for All Indians is my motto.

No yaar. Even in some Tamil marriages we use Tamil slokas and avoid the Sanskrit ones.

India is too vast a country to have one law for each. These personal issues like marriage should best be left to the people.

If India can have so many different official languages in each & every state of India, why can't it give Sikhs the Anand Marriage Act?

If India can have so many different state languages & such diversity there, why can't it give Sikhs the Anand Marriage Act?

Because even then a Haryanvi marriage is different than a Tamil or even Gujarati marriage, shall we create seperate acts for those as well?

Good point there. I am not sure if the Sikh faith has codified any specific set of marriage laws or ceremonies. I guess its mostly practiced by common tradition.

And I do understand the ease of having one law to govern 'similar' ceremonies. But I also think that if its disaffecting a certain community then whats the harm in amending it?

I agree. If there is demand, we should have separate law. Why not.

Because even then a Haryanvi marriage is different than a Tamil or even Gujarati marriage, shall we create seperate acts for those as well?

No, break up the marriage acts by religion.

Lets us Indians discuss about that - an internal matter of India.I am obliged to reply to Indian Sikhs not you you mate on this topic. :wave:

Haha, you're the one most interested in the internal matters of Pakistan. Mark your words for future references :lol:

Haha, you're the one most interested in the internal matters of Pakistan. Mark your words for future references :lol:

Lol look who is talking - a person who eats,breaths India related threads.

Pot--kettle---Black.

Do you have Hindu Marriage law in Pakistan ? Is it not an internal matter of Pakistan ?

:no: You clearly don't understand "Indian" religions then. Hinduism can be classified with so many different sects, they could be catergorized as different religions. I'm not saying Sikhism or Jainism is part of Hinduism. It complicates everything. Might as well just call it the Indic Marriage Act or Dharmic Marriage Act. Solves everything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom