What's new

The Health and Fitness Thread

I have a pull up/chin up bar
but the problem is i cant do a single chin up or pull up
so here is my question
how to do a chin up?
for beiginers

If you have access to a counter-weighted chin up machine use that with enough weight to make up for low strength, and then keep reducing the weight until you start doing it yourself.

If you don't have that, then get some one to help you. start with shoulder width inside grip (uses more of bicep power).

Stand upside down on your hands and do vertical (downward) dips (do protect your head while attempting this)

so here is my question
how to do a chin up?
for beiginers

another question
i can do diamond push ups
but how many should i do in one day?
how many sets and reps per set

Experts here, is it true that it takes tall people longer than short people to fill out their body frame? I'm considerably tall for my age (18-6 ft 1) and I started working out around 6-7 months ago. I feel that I have made lots of strong gains yet I don't look as strong as I feel.

Experts here, is it true that it takes tall people longer than short people to fill out their body frame? I'm considerably tall for my age (18-6 ft 1) and I started working out around 6-7 months ago. I feel that I have made lots of strong gains yet I don't look as strong as I feel.

There are typically three types of body types.

Mesomorphs
Ectomorphs and,
Endomorph

You sound like you fill the ectomorph category.

bodytypes.jpg

That being said 6'1'' isn't all that tall, so it might be issues with your nutrition, intake of calories and protein etc.

so here is my question
how to do a chin up?
for beiginers

Put a chair next to the chin-up bar.
Stand on the chair, grasp the bar, step off the chair, and slowly lower yourself down to the floor.
Next progression is to kneel/squat on the chair (watch your balance), grasp the chin-up bar, lift yourself up and then slowly lower yourself down to the floor.

The more important part of any weight-lifting rep is the eccentric, or release, half, not the concentric, or squeezing, half as most people think.

Put a chair next to the chin-up bar.
Stand on the chair, grasp the bar, and slowly lower yourself down to the floor.
Next progression is to kneel/squat on the chair (watch your balance), grasp the chin-up bar, lift yourself up and then slowly lower yourself down to the floor.

The more important part of any weight-lifting rep is the eccentric, or release, half, not the concentric, or squeezing, half as most people think.

It is important certainly, but definitely not more important.

It is important certainly, but definitely not more important.

Ten Things You MUST Know About Eccentric Training To Get Better Results | Poliquin Article

In studies that have compared eccentric-only and concentric-only training, eccentric-only is far superior for producing muscle damage and hypertrophy. This is because the eccentric motion damages the myofibers and it preferentially recruits fast-twitch fibers. This means there is a greater amount of stress per motor unit with eccentric exercises, producing greater muscle growth.

In contrast, concentric-only training doesn’t lead to significant hypertrophy. One well known study had males perform concentric-only or eccentric-only training using 4 to 6 sets of 8 to 12 reps 3 times a week. At the end of 12 weeks, slow-twitch fibers didn’t increase in either group. But the fast-twitch type II fibers increased 10 time more in the eccentric-only group than the concentric-only group! Still, studies indicate that the very BEST stimulus for hypertrophy is training that uses both the eccentric and concentric motions but favors the eccentric motion—the reason is ATP or energy.

I used to be a personal trainer and we always advised advanced clients to focus more on the eccentric phase. Talk to any competent fitness trainer and they will tell you that the eccentric phase is the more important phase of a rep.

Ten Things You MUST Know About Eccentric Training To Get Better Results | Poliquin Article

In studies that have compared eccentric-only and concentric-only training, eccentric-only is far superior for producing muscle damage and hypertrophy. This is because the eccentric motion damages the myofibers and it preferentially recruits fast-twitch fibers. This means there is a greater amount of stress per motor unit with eccentric exercises, producing greater muscle growth.

In contrast, concentric-only training doesn’t lead to significant hypertrophy. One well known study had males perform concentric-only or eccentric-only training using 4 to 6 sets of 8 to 12 reps 3 times a week. At the end of 12 weeks, slow-twitch fibers didn’t increase in either group. But the fast-twitch type II fibers increased 10 time more in the eccentric-only group than the concentric-only group! Still, studies indicate that the very BEST stimulus for hypertrophy is training that uses both the eccentric and concentric motions but favors the eccentric motion—the reason is ATP or energy.

I used to be a personal trainer and we always advised advanced clients to focus more on the eccentric phase. Talk to any competent fitness trainer and they will tell you that the eccentric phase is the more important phase of a rep.

Say what.

Every single PT I've ever been to (2) has told me otherwise.

Back to the books for me.

That being said 6'1'' isn't all that tall, so it might be issues with your nutrition, intake of calories and protein etc.
I'm a mix of Ectomorphs and Endomorph. How exactly do you monitor these things? That being said, making a healthy meal choices isnt easy living in a Pakistani household. I do eat chicken breast with lots of veggies after my workout, might not be enough.

I'm only 5'8 ! :cray:

But I'm stronger than you....when you can Bench Press 80kgs (without including the weight of the bar) than come back & brag about Strength Gains ! :P

I'm a mix of Ectomorphs and Endomorph. How exactly do you monitor these things? That being said, making a healthy meal choices isnt easy living in a Pakistani household. I do eat chicken breast with lots of veggies after my workout, might not be enough.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Eat clean, train hard.

And I feel you regarding healthy meal choices, I had the same problem, fish curry all day errrry day. You might need to start cooking your own meals if you don't already. Chicken breast has always worked for me as well as pasta, brown rice, wholemeal bread etc.

Pasta is especially easy to make, and you can pretty much put anything you want in it, make sure you don't put any extra salt in. It hinders your ability to lift.

If you have a bit of time on your hands and extra cash: Use this tool, Weight Gain Calculator to calculate how many calories you should be taking in for weight gain. Then calculate how many calories you are currently taking in on average from charts available all over the internet and you will be able to find out exactly what you need to do in order to gain weight.

With the money, get yourself a weight gainer, oatmass and if you like a protein powder too. If your arms/legs/etc are sore after a workout grab yourself some BCAA pills and if you're usually gymming after work/study/etc get some pre-workout too.

Back
Top Bottom