What's new

Ten reasons why India should preserve INS Vikrant

I think the navy wants it to be scrapped and not Maha govt, thats what the last news said. But I most say I always wanted to see that ship...I have tried twice but I failed.

I think the navy wants it to be scrapped and not Maha govt, thats what the last news said. But I most say I always wanted to see that ship...I have tried twice but I failed.

Just to amend the perspective on that; the Mah. Govt. wants to see the ship preserved, but does not want to contribute the funding required. While the Navy is in two minds; initially it wanted to recover the wharfage where Vikrant is berthed for use. But now with Karwar coming up; that need has reduced. But the Navy has another issue; if the ship remains where she is now- the Public has to be given access in to the Naval Dockyard which IN is not too keen about. So the IN suggested that the Mah. Govt. arrange for land adjoining the foreshore next to the 'Radio Club' in Colaba so that she can be permanently parked there in a 'semi-beached' condition. But both political/real-estate interests obstructed that.
Then an alternative plan was floated to tow her around to Backbay off Marine Drive/Cuffe Parade Reclaimation was mooted. This is far more difficult technically and expensive also. Hence a stale-mate on various plans.

Just to amend the perspective on that; the Mah. Govt. wants to see the ship preserved, but does not want to contribute the funding required. While the Navy is in two minds; initially it wanted to recover the wharfage where Vikrant is berthed for use. But now with Karwar coming up; that need has reduced. But the Navy has another issue; if the ship remains where she is now- the Public has to be given access in to the Naval Dockyard which IN is not too keen about. So the IN suggested that the Mah. Govt. arrange for land adjoining the foreshore next to the 'Radio Club' in Colaba so that she can be permanently parked there in a 'semi-beached' condition. But both political/real-estate interests obstructed that.
Then an alternative plan was floated to tow her around to Backbay off Marine Drive/Cuffe Parade Reclaimation was mooted. This is far more difficult technically and expensive also. Hence a stale-mate on various plans.

Putting Vikrant on Mumbai's prime land is stupid.

Best place is the put it in dry dock to prevent rusting and then park it in Goa. Goa has a BJP govt. and a Nationalist CM in Manohar Parrikar and at the same time is a Great Tourist spot with TON's of tourists. Both Indian and Foreign.

It is an ideal place for Vikrat. IN was foolish to approach the corrupt congress CM in Maharashtra.

Well sir thats what local news paper said 3/4 months ago.
I personally have not seen the dock or Vikrant.

And the high traffic problems has been reported many times. Even commercial port is looking for new options like IN.

@Capt.Popeye : why isnt IN doing it !!! Why they need Govt of Mah to do that ??? 65 Cr INR isnt too much for IN.

I would have personally liked to see the IN museum near port Blair. A decent tourist attraction.

That Traffic issue is just BS. Even Mumbai Port (the Mumbai side, not JNPT) is shrinking its original port ops. because of cargo space and landward access issues.

The rest I've explained in the other post.

Yes I agree,what I meant to say that they went for scrapping this ship after a consensus couldnt be reached on what to do with the ship and projects that will be worked alongside its conversion to be a museum.

Also maha govt wanted a good return post their investment in making it a museum, like they wanted to open a high end resturant and also wanted heli operations to the ship, whic was objected by the navy due to security issues. I guess the only issue was investment and ROI for which this ship is going to be scrapped and also the other things you have mentioned.

That Traffic issue is just BS. Even Mumbai Port (the Mumbai side, not JNPT) is shrinking its original port ops. because of cargo space and landward access issues.

The rest I've explained in the other post.
Thats strange !!!! The reason I came across for expanding JNPT is lack of space and over traffic of Navy and commercial ships. ( Not from news paper )
And one more port is in planning !!!!

I think I might have missed that post. Will look for it. Thank you.

Putting Vikrant on Mumbai's prime land is stupid.

Best place is the put it in dry dock to prevent rusting and then park it in Goa. Goa has a BJP govt. and a Nationalist CM in Manohar Parrikar and at the same time is a Great Tourist spot with TON's of tourists. Both Indian and Foreign.

It is an ideal place for Vikrat. IN was foolish to approach the corrupt congress CM in Maharashtra.

The underlined part of your post is absurd. LOLL, how would you even think of puttint the Vikrant on to land?
Even if you put all the Congress and BJP Loonies together to pull her ashore, it cannot be done!

The idea was to find a part of the sea there and bring her into that location, fix her in position, construct a break-water in the sea for protecting her. All that was required was a land access from Colaba to allow the Public to board her.
Both the BJP-SS and Cong-NCP Govts did nothing on this account. Everybody know about the Builder-Politician (of all parties) Nexus in Bombay! So nobody was surprised finally!

The underlined part of your post is absurd. LOLL, how would you even think of puttint the Vikrant on to land?
Even if you put all the Congress and BJP Loonies together to pull her ashore, it cannot be done!

The idea was to find a part of the sea there and bring her into that location, fix her in position, construct a break-water in the sea for protecting her. All that was required was a land access from Colaba to allow the Public to board her.
Both the BJP-SS and Cong-NCP Govts did nothing on this account. Everybody know about the Builder-Politician (of all parties) Nexus in Bombay! So nobody was surprised finally!

It was absurd of you to imagine that I meant pulling the ship onto the land. It was clearly meant to imply that getting enough land around the ship to set up in Mumbai is not possible for exactly the reason you mentioned.

It is possible in Goa and the govt. there will be more inclined and the tourist potential is far greater.

It was absurd of you to imagine that I meant pulling the ship onto the land. It was clearly meant to imply that getting enough land around the ship to set up in Mumbai is not possible for exactly the reason you mentioned.

It is possible in Goa and the govt. there will be more inclined and the tourist potential is far greater.

You still have not understood what I said. The Ship does not need any land around it. It needs to be kept in the water at a place that is accessible by a road from land. Neither BJP-SS or Congress-NCP is willing to do that in Maharashtra.

About Goa; are you Parrikar's secretary ? :laugh:

You still have not understood what I said. The Ship does not need any land around it. It needs to be kept in the water at a place that is accessible by a road from land. Neither BJP-SS or Congress-NCP is willing to do that in Maharashtra.

About Goa; are you Parrikar's secretary ? :laugh:

You need land to put up at least a ticket stall, food stall the works. Welcome back to the Real world.

No. I am Manohar Parrikar. You rahul gandhi ? :azn:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom