What's new

Tejas Mk.2 Build Begins

if you guys could slightly increase the lca intake size

would look great

Why don't they include LEVCONS in the design .??

Tejas' LEVCONS are designed for low-speed handling, only useful in carrier-landings.

Having LEVCONS doesn't make any big difference, neither gives any prominent advantage for
air force-version LCA. It only helps increase RCS if they deflect in-flight while ingressing or egressing.

would look great

Sir, what you have seen right now are purely models/intial CAD designs, the final production model will look different. Wait 18 months and then we will see what the real thing looks like!

would look great

There will be a slight increase as it has to cater for he increased airflow requirement of the more
powerful 98kN F414 engine.

You need to crawl before you can run/sprint my freind. The development of the LCA MK.1 and especially the MK.2 will all feed into the AMCA and many of the tech to be fitted on the AMCA will be tested/devloped on the LCA MK.2. Do you think the US just jumped straight into building the F-22? No, it was decades of innovation and R&D expertise built up on many projects that laid the foundations for the F-22.

Mate, EVERY (within reason) new fighter these will feature FBW- planes these days are designed to be fundamentally unstable to boost their maneuverability but without a FBW to keep the plane in check the bird would fall ungracefully from the sky.

So even the new 5th Gen planes that are being built / researched are FBW, is there something called Fly by Laser that is related to fighters?

So even the new 5th Gen planes that are being built / researched are FBW, is there something called Fly by Laser that is related to fighters?

Well some fighters (tbh I am not sure which ones) do use (or will use) a system called Fly-by-Optics/light which works in the same way as FBW but instead of using (relatively) heavy wiring optical fibres are used.

Addtionally I am aware some work is going into designing a "Fly-by-wireless" system wherin all the control inputs are sent wirelessly to the relevant control surfaces instead of using wires or optical cables.

Tejas' LEVCONS are designed for low-speed handling, only useful in carrier-landings.

Having LEVCONS doesn't make any big difference, neither gives any prominent advantage for
air force-version LCA. It only helps increase RCS if they deflect in-flight while ingressing or egressing.

This is present on the N-LCA because of the unique requirements when making a carrier landing and the tailless delta is not neesercarily the best design for making carrier landings hence the designers added an additional control surface- the LEVCONs, but for AF/land based fighters there is little utility in such a system.

This is from wiki .

"As an added benefit, the LEVCONs will also increase controllability at high angles of attack (AoA)."

And in discussion with Sancho about use of LEVCONS in PAK-FA , he also said that in addition to slow speed handling it also increases maneuverability .

Also they want NLCA to be the MK2 version & NLCA has LEVCONS .

Still why reject LEVCONs which would have increased maneuverability as well as commonality.

Well some fighters (tbh I am not sure which ones) do use (or will use) a system called Fly-by-Optics/light which works in the same way as FBW but instead of using (relatively) heavy wiring optical fibres are used.

Addtionally I am aware some work is going into designing a "Fly-by-wireless" system wherin all the control inputs are sent wirelessly to the relevant control surfaces instead of using wires or optical cables.

What is the country working on FBWL?

Fly by fibre/ optics does make sense as on single fibre can help to reduce lot of data/ signal wires. It's quite strong and can work well in any environment.

I do have my reservations about fly by wireless, its too risky and I cannot imagine about loosing/ jamed signals at supersonic speed

Ohh... now I get it.. off late, in the morning I could see LCA mark-1s doing their usual trials.. looks deadly i must say..

Also observed, DHRUVs in trial as well.. :cheers:

What is the country working on FBWL?

United States of course. But I'm not sure how far they have got or when/if it will be used.

I do have my reservations about fly by wireless, its too risky and I cannot imagine about loosing/ jamed signals at supersonic speed

Yeah it just doesn't sound smart and these days fighters have multiple layers of redundancies but if you compltelty remove a wired interface between the control surfaces and the mission computers then what redundancies do you have when somthing goes wrong?

Tejas Mk.2 Build Begins

tejas-724119.jpg

Finally, HAL has begun the process to build the first Tejas Mk.2 prototype, envisioned as a slightly larger but much more capable fighter than the floundering Tejas Mk.1.

On November 19, HAL's Aircraft Research & Design Centre (ARDC) floated the first of many requirements for raw materials -- alloys and such -- for the first Tejas Mk.2 (first pictures) prototype vehicle and other assemblies. More requirements will be put out over the next few weeks.

HAL is looking to put the Mk.2, powered by the General Electric F414-GE-INS6 turbofan engine, into the air in 2014. The highly anticipated Mk.2 programme will cost at least $542.44-million (Rs 2431.55-crore), comprising full scale engineering development. The IAF has put down an official requirement for 83 of the Mk.2s. Working on a detailed post on the Mk.2. No timeframe, though!

Livefist: Tejas Mk.2 Build Begins

hmmm atlast they started work. waiting for this beast eagerly.

From the picture it look similar to mk1 i think this design is out dated it would be better they work on new design and this time please finish it real time frame other wise we will see it around 2024 .

The new stuff of Mk.II -

Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar
GE F414 engine (98kN)
CockpitNG
Improved EW suite
-
Astra-1/2 BVRAAM (80-110km)
New gliding version of Sudarshan LGB
Hammer AASM or Paveway-II LGB
CBU-105 sensor-fuzed weapon (hopefully)

Inviting members to add to this list if they have the info.

The new stuff of Mk.II -

Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar
GE F414 engine (98kN)
CockpitNG
Improved EW suite
-
Astra-1/2 BVRAAM (80-110km)
New gliding version of Sudarshan LGB
Hammer AASM or Paveway-II LGB
CBU-105 sensor-fuzed weapon (hopefully)

Inviting members to add to this list if they have the info.

Whats the status of this weapon?

Back
Top Bottom