What's new

Target Stealth

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
China Practices Intercepting U.S. Stealth Fighters
The Chinese People's Liberation Army recently staged an intercept exercise targeting the U.S.' latest stealth fighter jet, the F-22 Raptor, Hong Kong's Apple Daily reported Thursday.

Japanese media on Oct. 3 reported that the Japanese and U.S. militaries will carry out a joint exercise to practice recapturing the disputed Senkaku or Diaoyutai Islands in November, in case the Chinese capture them in a surprise attack. It said the U.S. nuclear-powered aircraft carrier George Washington and F-22 Raptors will take part in the exercise.

On Oct. 8, five days after the report, a Chinese Air Force brigade in the Chengdu military district practiced firing a Hong Qi No. 9 missile, China's newest ground-to-air missile, to hit a target assumed to be an F-22, the Apple Daily said.

The Science and Technology Daily, published in Beijing, wrote a story about the drill. "Right after the radar sent the information on the location of the stealth fighter to the missile launch team, the Hong Qi No. 9 missile flew into the clouds and an explosion was heard only 40 seconds later. There was loud applause for the success of the exercise," it said.

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - China Practices Intercepting U.S. Stealth Fighters

This exercise surely will giv a consolidated answer to the stealth effectiveness;
I hope Chinese get a lone S-400 unit even at rent to up against F-22/35

This exercise surely will giv a consolidated answer to the stealth effectiveness;
I hope Chinese get a lone S-400 unit even at rent to up against F-22/35
Then in a year, They will copy the S400.

It will have little meaning. Raptors often fly with a device that augments the radar return, making it appear more visible to search and track radars. Just as a Su jet might keep a frequency-hopping radar static, stealthy airframes keep their stealth as secretive as possible, especially when exposed to foreign radars.

The Soviets used to send "fishing trawlers" bristling with antennas in the Gulf of Mexico. Of course, they were gathering emissions from fighters in the Gulf Warning Areas. When the trawlers were present, certain emissions were prohibited.

@chogy..

An off topic question..But I just could not resist myself.

I had read somewhere about the Russian Over-the-Horizon radar,nicknamed the Woodpecker.Can you please explain what it is,what was its objective,and how does it function??

@chogy..

An off topic question..But I just could not resist myself.

I had read somewhere about the Russian Over-the-Horizon radar,nicknamed the Woodpecker.Can you please explain what it is,what was its objective,and how does it function??

I don't know specifics... but radar frequencies all come with benefits, and with drawbacks. Higher frequencies are more accurate, but shorter-ranged. Above a certain frequency, dust and especially water in the air begins to reflect. With lower frequencies, similar occurs. The sweet spot for targeting is typically X-band.

Lower frequencies are less accurate, lower resolution, but longer-ranged. To go over the horizon, any radar must rely on bouncing off the ionosphere, much like short-wave radio can travel around the globe. It skips and bounces between ionosphere and earth.

These types of radars are more for early warning. "Something is coming." But they don't have the accuracy to guide weapons. That is the job of higher frequencies.

Wiki has a decent summary of radar wavelengths:
X band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom