What's new

Tamil Nadu is No.1 destination for foreigners in India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as long as we are getting foreign tourists I wont complain. But I cant agree to certain points.

1. Ooty and kodai are beautiful: Nothing can be far from the truth. Those who have not seen Kufri etc think that Ooty is Switzerland :) I have traveled almost everywhere in India and seriously I did not have much to write about ooty and kodai. Meghalaya and Arunachal are simply mind blowing, much better than even Kashmir.

2. Foreign tourists come to visit temples: Well Ujjain and Bhubaneswar are considered as temple cities ( well even Madurai too) But what significance can temple be to a foreigner? They must be coming to check the architecture, Then also nothing beats Hampi, Konark and Khajuraho.

Well, I fell TN if its getting more tourists is because of better infrastructure than other places. The tourism department of most of the places simply sucks big time. Also most places of TN are closer to Bangalore and Chennai, so flying in and out is not a problem.

Also, there is no problem of extremism in TN as the fear is always there for Kashmir and NE states.

But I am really happy for TN and I hope other states should pull up their socks to attract more and more... Cheers

Well as long as we are getting foreign tourists I wont complain. But I cant agree to certain points.

1. Ooty and kodai are beautiful: Nothing can be far from the truth. Those who have not seen Kufri etc think that Ooty is Switzerland :) I have traveled almost everywhere in India and seriously I did not have much to write about ooty and kodai. Meghalaya and Arunachal are simply mind blowing, much better than even Kashmir.

True Ooty and Kodai though beautiful cannot compare to Arunachal or Meghalaya. But Tourism is not dependant on beauty only and there are many factors in that. Hospitality,connectivity,cuisine,road etc are all factors and one with the best has more visitors.

2. Foreign tourists come to visit temples: Well Ujjain and Bhubaneswar are considered as temple cities ( well even Madurai too) But what significance can temple be to a foreigner? They must be coming to check the architecture, Then also nothing beats Hampi, Konark and Khajuraho

Dont go by the photos. You will just be awestruck if you see in person the majestic temples and their gopurams. And many foreigner who come here are Hindus, Yes converted Hindus.

Well, I fell TN if its getting more tourists is because of better infrastructure than other places. The tourism department of most of the places simply sucks big time. Also most places of TN are closer to Bangalore and Chennai, so flying in and out is not a problem. Also, there is no problem of extremism in TN as the fear is always there for Kashmir and NE states.

Another major factor is the tourist safety - No cases of rape,theft has been reported and we dont have urchins playing around with foreign ladies because it is an integral part of our culture to respect women.

And there are no riots, no terrorist incidents etc which all contribute to TN's well-deserved first position.

But I am really happy for TN and I hope other states should pull up their socks to attract more and more... Cheers

True..After all these are welcome additions to the Indian GDP and I would like to see tourism from NE and JnK go up.

^^^^first lady of the forum?

may be being in Chennai does not make one realise its better aspects.....?

^^^^first lady of the forum?

may be being in Chennai does not make one realise its better aspects.....?

No da.....as far as I have seen she likes Tamil Nadu and even expressed it many times. :)

This is interesting. I never really imagined TN to be a very attractive destination for foreign tourists. Goa, Rajasthan, Delhi and Kerala I understand, but TN beats me. Indian members living in Chennai, can you confirm this? Do you see a lot more firangs roaming around your streets? lol..just kidding guys. Congrats to TN. Hope the trend continues

we are just one who follow the tradition, to serve the guests even we are @ hunger...quality that matters...In India Tamil is the oldest language still exit with same culture over 2000+ years

I am not a native of Chennai (Chennai ! = Tamil Nadu) , but the truth is tourists come to Chennai only to catch the flight. :D

The reason TN is ahead is mainly due to religious tourism. The Temple in the OP (Meenakshi Amman Temple) is one of the most visited and we have many such grand temples.

Also places like Kanyakumari, Kodaikanal, Ooty are evergreen favourites.

Then comes the medical tourism - In this case it is Chennai and to some extent Coimbatore that help.

Above all it is the warmth of our Tamil hospitality and the cuisine that play a major role.

The bold parts i never Accepts....

I like TN, when I went there kodikanal etc. I found few good things.
1. Very clean.
2. Much more disciplined.

However there are some problems which people of TN should correct.
1. They are rude to Hindi speaking people.
2. Water quality.

Mapla naan ada potruken da....College la irundappa masathukku rendu thadava minimum poiruvom....Enakku theriyadha..:D

B'cos if you speak in unknown language :disagree: we can't tolerate it..:devil: if you speak in english we ready to help you with a smiled face:cheers:

No da.....as far as I have seen she likes Tamil Nadu and even expressed it many times. :)

illa maapla...i dont know who the first lady is........

and second .....i am in Chennai ....so i think it makes me not realise the essence of Chennai....by the way am from kongu nadu like you too....

I am not a native of Chennai (Chennai ! = Tamil Nadu) , but the truth is tourists come to Chennai only to catch the flight.

Unmadhana boss....:P

illa maapla...i dont know who the first lady is........

JANA.

and second .....i am in Chennai ....so i think it makes me not realise the essence of Chennai....by the way am from kongu nadu like you too....

Enga Coimbatore ah Erode ah Namakkal ah??

Last edited:
well apt for JANA...i do remember her liking Chennai...

na Erode......but in chennai for past 7 yrs....studing

True Ooty and Kodai though beautiful cannot compare to Arunachal or Meghalaya. But Tourism is not dependant on beauty only and there are many factors in that. Hospitality,connectivity,cuisine,road etc are all factors and one with the best has more visitors.

Thats what I just said. Ooty and kodai can not compete anywhere near other places, but yeah the other factors count a lot. But cuisine ? really? Being from eastern part of India, I always had a problem of eating in south indian tourist places. One small example, couple of months back I drove from Bangalore to Jog falls ( the tallest fall in asia) and guess what there is absolutely nothing to eat in any decent places. About connectivity and road I will give 10 out of 10 to TN. Hospitality, cant comment much as I usually tend to stay in 5 stars ( member of Mahindra holidays and RCI) so usually get good hospitality.

Dont go by the photos. You will just be awestruck if you see in person the majestic temples and their gopurams. And many foreigner who come here are Hindus, Yes converted Hindus.

As I said before, I never ever comment on stuff I dont know first hand :) I have seen places all over India and most part of globe. As I said, if it were only religious, the tourists can also go to ujjain, bhubaneswar, varanasi etc. Its the other factors again.

Another major factor is the tourist safety - No cases of rape,theft has been reported and we dont have urchins playing around with foreign ladies because it is an integral part of our culture to respect women.

And there are no riots, no terrorist incidents etc which all contribute to TN's well-deserved first position.

In all my drives through TN I never faced any such problems ever (touchwood). TN wins this point again on safety. IN kerala, you can drive in but never know when there will be a bandh and if you can get out in time :D No one dares to venture into NE and Kashmir much. Only a few like me go there, and I will tell you what, its worth the risk.

True..After all these are welcome additions to the Indian GDP and I would like to see tourism from NE and JnK go up.

Or may be all the places of India. Atithi Deva bhavo... Lets try to reach out and make some tourists happy so that they come back again and again, with their family and friends :)

hey guyz i am right now workin in coimbatore cts
i miss chennai very much

chennai mari vaaradha pa

Ask the guys here...Contact PTDC - Email and telephone numbers of Punjab Tourism development corporation

Thanks.

What you might have experienced is a one-off phenomenon. Of course there is a stereotype that Tamils hate Hindi. Nothing can be farther from truth. Maybe you might have got a rude answer because you would have continued your questions in Hindi. You know how it annoys ppl when they are constantly asked questions in language they dont understand. Try the same in English they will go out of their way to help you even though they know you are a Northie.

I will relate a personal experience that happened to me while watching a Cinema in Coimbatore. It seems that few guys from Chatisgarh who had come for training in TCS had kept their certificates in the cinema hall itself and left. They came during the next show to retrieve it and the whole show was stopped for 15 minutes immediately to get that. No one complained and infact everyone was searching along with the youngsters to find that. This is how we treat strangers. It doesnt matter if you are from Punjab or Andhra or Assam.

Agreed. In some parts of TN the water is just unbearable.

I have to agree with Karthic here. People goes out of their way to help total strangers in TN, however they do get nervous if you speak in Hindi! :D

Good to see WB figures out in top 5.

Thats what I just said. Ooty and kodai can not compete anywhere near other places,

I dont want to start a war of words....But down South there are not many places as beautiful as Kodai,Ooty or for that matter Munnar.

but yeah the other factors count a lot. But cuisine ? really? Being from eastern part of India, I always had a problem of eating in south indian tourist places. One small example, couple of months back I drove from Bangalore to Jog falls ( the tallest fall in asia) and guess what there is absolutely nothing to eat in any decent places.

As I suspected you were in Karnataka and you are extrapolating it to Tamil Nadu. The cuisine is almost completely different here. For example the way we prepare Dosa is completely different from the way the Kannadigas prepare it.

About connectivity and road I will give 10 out of 10 to TN. Hospitality, cant comment much as I usually tend to stay in 5 stars ( member of Mahindra holidays and RCI) so usually get good hospitality.

You stay in a 150 a nite lodge, the hospitality will not change. :)

As I said before, I never ever comment on stuff I dont know first hand :) I have seen places all over India and most part of globe. As I said, if it were only religious, the tourists can also go to ujjain, bhubaneswar, varanasi etc. Its the other factors again.

It is not the temples alone...But the monstority of the structures and the intricate designs that leave you awe-struck.

p.s.: I invite you to come to TN once and if you come to Ooty side, do let me know :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom