What's new

Super Computer at NUST

Tiger Awan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Islamabad—In an impressive ceremony held here on Tuesday at its Research Centre for Modeling and Simulation (RCMS), National University ofSciences and Technology (NUST) inaugurated its fastest supercomputing facility. The ceremony was presided over by Chairman HigherEducation Commission Dr Javaid R. Laghari.

While highlighting some of the unique features of this state-of-the-art computing facility, recently acquired by NUST through financial grant by Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST), Govt of Pakistan, Principal RCMS Engr. Sikandar Hayat informed the audience that the Super Computer installed in NUST was the fastest GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) based parallel computing system operating in any organization / academic institution in Pakistan till date.

This supercomputer can perform parallel computation at a peak speed of 132 Teraflops i.e. 132 Trillion Operations per second. It is equipped with multicore processors and graphics co-processors with inter-processor communication speed of 40 Gbps.

Besides its extensive utilization in the computation-intensive research projects in the areas of Fluid Dynamics and Biosciences, this massively parallel facility can also be utilized to handle huge data processing applications of social sciences such as Flood and Weather Forecasting, Oil and GasExploration, energy efficient building designs and transportation management at national-level.

NUST unveils fastest supercomputer | I R NUSTIAN

The new H-12 Campus is a great project. There are some problems (lack of funds) but happy to see my uni making progress

RCMS.jpg

Research Centre for Modeling & Simulation ( RCMS )

Good work NUST. This university is living up to it's reputation.

NUST is very good university in Pakistan situated in Islamabad :)
Now a days supercomputers are technology so every country and university want to adopt this technology to compete to others.
NUST is university where engineering courses are running and it is under PAK Army.
Congtats NUST having supercomputers

NUST's new 132 Teraflop supercomputer has catapulted the Pakistani university's supercomputing center to the elite Top 200 list of supercomputing sites in the world, a list dominated by a handful of industrialized nations. National University of Science & Technology's supercomputer is named ScREC after its supercomputing research and education center. The cluster consists of 66 nodes equipped with a total of 30,992 cores. The NUST site breaks down the components as follows: 32 dual-socket quad-core nodes, 32 NVIDIA GPUs, a QDR InfiniBand interconnect, and 26.1 TB of storage.

Seems like somebody dumped a deprecated piece of junk for a lot of commission again. A Intel Core i7 965 is rated at 17.5 GFLOPS per core whereas looking at this machines raw performance its only giving 4GFLOPS per core that's just ancient history in IT. Congratulate yourself as much as you may but a cheap Beowulf cluster may serve the needs better.

Seems like somebody dumped a deprecated piece of junk for a lot of commission again. A Intel Core i7 965 is rated at 17.5 GFLOPS per core whereas looking at this machines raw performance its only giving 4GFLOPS per core that's just ancient history in IT. Congratulate yourself as much as you may but a cheap Beowulf cluster may serve the needs better.

Using a CPU individually and using it in a cluster are two entirely different things and not all CPUs can be used in a cluster.

Using a CPU individually and using it in a cluster are two entirely different things and not all CPUs can be used in a cluster.

which distro you are talking about HH4.5? that's last century dude! seriously!!

Back
Top Bottom