What's new

Sukhoi PAK-FA / FGFA: Updates,News & Discussions

So according to the patent filing there is curvature in the air ducts. Are the drawings from the patent? They show lower half of the compressor (?) but don't mention blockers. where is someone who speaks russian when you need one!

Yes, according to the link they are from KnAAPO/Sukhoi.

Yes, according to the link they are from KnAAPO/Sukhoi.

Excellent, I was pretty sure there must be some curvature in the ducts, and the patent indicates that, now the point is how much of the compressor is actually visible. Also the drawings show a flow regulator in the upper part of the duct.

correct ?

any thoughts ?

Excellent, I was pretty sure there must be some curvature in the ducts, and the patent indicates that, now the point is how much of the compressor is actually visible. Also the drawings show a flow regulator in the upper part of the duct.

correct ?

any thoughts ?

I think you misunderstood that part:

The air intakes are further apart in respect to the vertical and horizontal planes than the engines thus the ducts are curved. This curvature hides the compressor and reduces the radar signature of the engine in the forward hemisphere, a common practice in many recent (or not so recent) designs.

So they are not talking about an actual ducted air intake like an S-duct, but that locating the engines higher than the air intakes and slightly angled will hide parts of the engine blades.

Point 7 on the lower pic:

t50_11.jpg

The only chance for an S-duct might be, locating the engine front upwards at the same hight as the rear side, which would look similar to the YF 23, but I'm expecting radar blockers.

No i think i got it right

in the past I have argued with martian2 especially and others that from the position of the top surface nacelles you could see the engines are pointing inwards and slightly into the plane, not downwards and straight into the nacelle.

my question now is how much of the compressor is visible or not.

No i think i got it right

in the past I have argued with martian2 especially and others that from the position of the top surface nacelles you could see the engines are pointing inwards and slightly into the plane, not downwards and straight into the nacelle.

my question now is how much of the compressor is visible or not.

As mentioned the location of the engine is the key difference, which is higher than the air intake and with the front of the engine indeed positioned downwards. That's why the upper side of the fan blades will be hidden, not because of any ducts:

0faw24584WP9C.jpg

0faw24258TV3Y.jpg

The blue line marks the base line of the fuselage and the tailsting, while the red marke shows the direction of the engine face. You can see that the rear part of the engine including nozzles is above the tailsting, while the front part is below, but you are right they are inverted too:

sukhoit50pichuginYJRMY.jpg

It will be difficult to say how much will be visible, maybe half of it maybe less, but the there still must be a radar blocker. However, lets wait and see how the later prototypes will look like.

As mentioned the location of the engine is the key difference, which is higher than the air intake and with the front of the engine indeed positioned downwards. That's why the upper side of the fan blades will be hidden, not because of any ducts:

0faw24584WP9C.jpg

0faw24258TV3Y.jpg

The blue line marks the base line of the fuselage and the tailsting, while the red marke shows the direction of the engine face. You can see that the rear part of the engine including nozzles is above the tailsting, while the front part is below, but you are right they are inverted too:

sukhoit50pichuginYJRMY.jpg

It will be difficult to say how much will be visible, maybe half of it maybe less, but the there still must be a radar blocker. However, lets wait and see how the later prototypes will look like.

when i typed ducts , i mean the nacelles themselves, they are air ducts after all.

^^why do i have a feeling that picture can turn into reality?just a feeling

Nope........many pictures floating around

But I think the engines can be covered like that.it kinda looks good on it

63843_161101677239072_100000177233657_563887_2431558_n.jpg

whats this concept?
well it is a concept of engine inlet modification but no official recognition on it .
RADARBLOCKINGCONCEPT.gif

It uses flexible vanes with a rotating ring at the rear end: in the "stealth regime" it provides extensive blockage, but it clears the airflow when it doesn't matter or you need full speed or power. One challenge would be the structural design, because the last thing you want is a piece of RAM flaking off the moving surface and FODing out your motor.

Russia will complete development of advanced tactical air-launched missile systems for the Sukhoi T-50 fifth-generation fighter within the next two years, the head of the Tactical Missiles Corporation (KTRV), Boris Obnosov, told RIA Novosti.

“The development of Kh-35UE (AS-20 Kayak), Kh-38ME, Kh-58UShKE (AS-11 Kilter), and RVV-MD (AA-11 Archer) class missiles will be completed in 2012-2013,” Obnosov said, adding the missiles were currently being tested.

By the time the T-50 fighter enters service with the Russian Air Force in 2014, its missile systems will be fully operational, Obnosov said.

Some of the missiles intended for the fighters – such as Kh-31PD (AS-17 Mod 2) class missiles – have already been tested using Sukhoi Su-34 (Fullback) fourth-generation strike aircraft and put into serial production, he added.

According to KTRV, the Kh-35UE tactical anti-ship missile has a maximum range of 260 kilometers; the supersonic Kh-31PD anti-radiation missile for use against air defense systems, can fly up to 250 kilometers; the Kh-58UShKE missile, designed to destroy pulse radars, can hit targets within 245 kilometers, and the short-range RVV-MD air-to-air missile has a maximum range of 40 kilometers.

The T-50, developed under the PAK FA (Future Aviation System for Tactical Air Force) program by the Sukhoi OKB, is Russia's first new major warplane designed since the fall of the Soviet Union. The jet made its maiden flight in January 2011 and two prototypes have since been undergoing flight tests.

Russia to Field Air-Launched Missiles for T-50 by 2014 | Defense | RIA Novosti

Three T-50 prototypes have performed 120 flights - News - Russian Aviation - RUAVIATION.COM

Three T-50 (PAK FA) prototypes have performed more than 120 flights, Lenta.ru reports. It has been declared by president of United Aircraft Corporation (UAC), Mikhail Pogosyan. According to him, the fourth prototype will join the flight testing in 2012. "We will start the deliveries of pilot batch in 2013. The program is being performed in accordance with the schedule", - Pogosyan noted.

The third prototype of Т-50 has joined the flight test program in late November 2011. The fourth one - Т-50-4, should have joined the flight testing last year. The first two prototypes are being tested at the airfield of Gromov Flight Research Institute in Zhukovsky at the moment. The first jet’s prototype has been performing flights since January 2010 and the second one – since March 2011. As expected, the testing of T-50’s airframe will be completed in 2012.

In accordance with the agreement between Sukhoi Company and Russian Ministry of Defense, the airframer should deliver first 10 T-50s to the Lipetsk combat employment and retraining center, where the testing will be continued. At present, the Ministry of Defense plans to acquire 60 T-50s, aside from jets from the pilot batch. The demand for T-50 jets in the Russian air forces is estimated at 150 ones.

Back
Top Bottom