What's new

Strict Curfew Imposed In Most Of Indian Kashmir

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Strict Curfew Imposed In Most Of Indian Kashmir
SRINAGAR, India (AP) — Authorities have re-introduced a strict curfew across most of Indian-controlled Kashmir ahead of Friday prayers, as residents in the region simmer with anger over the secret execution of a Kashmiri man in the capital.

The restive Himalayan region was rocked by violent anti-India protests after Mohammed Afzal Guru was hanged Saturday in a New Delhi jail and buried there. Guru had been convicted for his role in a deadly 2001 attack on India's Parliament that killed 14 including five gunmen.

Many in Kashmir believe Guru did not get a fair trial and the secrecy with which the execution was carried out only fuelled the anger in a region where anti-India sentiment runs deep.

A curfew has been in place since the execution, but groups of demonstrators have defied it and clashed with government forces. Three protesters have been killed and more than 100 have been detained, according to police.

The curfew was relaxed in some areas in recent days, but was restored ahead of Friday prayers in this Muslim majority region.

Early Friday morning, police drove through the streets of Srinagar, the region's main city, ordering residents to stay indoors. The return of the strict curfew comes as the All Parties Hurriyat Conference, an umbrella organization of separatist political and religious groups, called for a mass funeral prayer for Guru to be held Friday at a large square near Srinagar's Martyr's Graveyard, where hundreds of separatists and civilians killed in the region's long-running conflict are buried.

Insurgents have been fighting in Kashmir for more than two decades, demanding either a separate state or merger with Muslim-majority Pakistan. The region is divided between India and Pakistan and claimed in its entirety by both

Now what kind of democracy and secularism is this..They all know on friday Muslims have to go to Friday prayer which unlike other prayers is not possible at home and such a curfew on friday is against religious liberty and after doing this all this india blame Pakistan and ISI for the freedom fight of kashmiries.

Now what kind of democracy and secularism is this..They all know on friday Muslims have to go to Friday prayer which unlike other prayers is not possible at home and such a curfew on friday is against religious liberty and after doing this all this india blame Pakistan and ISI for the freedom fight of kashmiries.

This is in fact, what secularism is..religious freedom of an individual never, triumphs National security.

Strict Curfew ?

Is there a non strict version too. A ' if you dont mind can you like .. stay indoors please" ?

Media persons seem to come out with strange ones.

This is in fact, what secularism is..religious freedom of an individual never, triumphs National security.
This is what it is.
Secularism is the principle of separation of government institutions, and the persons mandated to represent the State, from religious institutions and religious dignitaries. In one sense, secularism may assert the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, and the right to freedom from governmental imposition of religion upon the people within a state that is neutral on matters of belief. In another sense, it refers to the view that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be unbiased by religious influence.

It asks for no religious influence but it doesnt mention security anywhere and nor does it talk about suppressing religious freedom of individuals for whatsoever reason.

Don't talk crap! Friday prayers in Kashmir are just an excuse to collect the paid hordes to demonstrate and throw stones @ Rs 200 per head per day! :P

This is what it is.
Secularism is the principle of separation of government institutions, and the persons mandated to represent the State, from religious institutions and religious dignitaries. In one sense, secularism may assert the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, and the right to freedom from governmental imposition of religion upon the people within a state that is neutral on matters of belief. In another sense, it refers to the view that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be unbiased by religious influence.

It asks for no religious influence but it doesnt mention security anywhere and nor does it talk about suppressing religious freedom of individuals for whatsoever reason.

You copy- paste the definition of secularism from web and then try to lecture me on it. First understand my post before replying to it.

Secularism is the separation of state and religion..to put it simply "the State will not interfere in matters of religion nor will it allow any religion to interfere in matters of the state. "

If there is a mob gathering(irrespective of the religion or the reason they are gathering for), which is expected to get violent...then policing it, is a matter of the state!!

Reading various Indian posters gives a good idea what is the real problem in Kashmir.

Good luck trying to do whatever it is that you are doing. In future, with or without Pakistan's assistance, Kashmir would be the first region to split from India.

Like I always say the threat to India is from within - regionalism. The ripest regions are at the periphery with Kashmir being the most likely to breakaway.

When JLN occupied Kashmir and put its name in Indian constitution, he in effect planted a time bomb.

looking at the conditions, this was necessary.

Reading various Indian posters gives a good idea what is the real problem in Kashmir.

Good luck trying to do whatever it is that you are doing. In future, with or without Pakistan's assistance, Kashmir would be the first region to split from India.

Like I always say the threat to India is from within - regionalism. The ripest regions are at the periphery with Kashmir being the most likely to breakaway.

When JLN occupied Kashmir and put its name in Indian constitution, he in effect planted a time bomb.

and what about Pakistan? despite being a homogeneous Muslim society, still witnesses shia sunni clashes and Balochistan suffers from regionalism.
are there no time bombs in Pakistan?

plz give an honest and a neutral view on this.

and what about Pakistan? despite being a homogeneous Muslim society, still witnesses shia sunni clashes and Balochistan suffers from regionalism.

There is seperatism but not on the scale of Kashmir in any region. This is proof:

“63 percent Baloch oppose independence” | The News Tribe

Personally I see this situation as very grave in Balochistan despite majority being against freedom. ^^^^^^
I mean 37% of all Baloch is not a small number. @Irfan Baloch.

In Kashmir 87% want freedom and 4% ascension with Pakistan- that is only according to one survey though there are more in this regard, one stating 92%

However India is so large it can easily absorb a secessionist region like Kashmir fully. Kashmiris are only 7 Million in India and the total population of India is a billion plus so ignore them or choose to help them it does not matter. This is why the Kashmiris wanting freedom will only dream. Reality can only be made with a nation like Pakistan's help which itself is in a situation. So thats a neutral take though given my Ansari heritage I do feel the need to say things like callous oppression which I will not allude to in respect for you Ayush.

Give them rights. 60 years is enough for them to stop wanting freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Regionalism is a shared problem for both India and Pakistan. If regionalism triumphs in one country, it would likely triumph in the other also.

Leaving aside the Kashmir problem for being a disputed territory, we can look at interference from BOTH countires as a foolish and dagerous game.

The regional nationalists on both sides have been supported by the neighboring country in the past. The first step was taken by India when separatism inside Pakistan was encouraged by successive Indian governments. East Pakistan, and the erstwhile NWFP province were targetted from the very beginning. Ghaffar Khan, used to receive financial support from India. The negative sentiment in East Pakistan was abetted by India. There is no secret in these things, it is common knowledge in Pakistan. Ghaffar Khan's grandson heads ANP which is a coalition partner in GOP, so that problem has been taken care of. However during late 1970s and throughout 1980s Indian support for separatism in Singh was evident. These days the separatist sentiment in Balochistan has Indian blessing. The RAW activity has been receiving press coverage since 2006 (as far as I know).

On Pakistan's side, We cultivated contacts in Indian Punjab and exploited those in 1980s to answer Indian efforts in NWFP and Sindh. There could be other activities from Pakistan, but I have not come across any solid evidence.

So you see both the countries have been encouraging regional separatism in the other. For tose Paksitanis who focus on Islam as a unifying factor for the country, it is easy to ignore the effect of separatism in India upon Pakistan itself. Since Pakistan of today is the country of Indus, it may well hold together better in case India fragments. But such a scenario is unimaginable for someone like me who sees a great human catastrophe in India's breakup. But being a student of History, I can well understand that it is a matter of 'when' not 'if'. Sorry to hurt your feelings buddy, but this is how I see things, not how I want them.

Peace is an impossible necessity. We in Pakistan feel its necessity better than India, but we also know the impossibility given the Indian mind-set as of Today.

Kashmir is the key. It shall be the undoing of one or the other, or (more likely) BOTH.

Back
Top Bottom