What's new

Featured SSK Agosta 90B Class Attack Submarine Information Pool

@Penguin , what is the maximum weight of missiles that can be launched through torpedo tubes from any submarine ??

Last edited by a moderator:
@Penguin , what is the maximum weight of missiles that can be launched through torpedo tubes ??

Although you specifically asked Penguin, but i'll add

Since Exocet is one of them which was tested, i am assuming roughly the same mass as that of Exocet. So approximately 670kgs.

Although you specifically asked Penguin, but i'll add

Since Exocet is one of them which was tested, i am assuming roughly the same mass as that of Exocet. So approximately 670kgs.

I mentioned him because he is a knowledgeable member . Answer from anybody is welcome .

Also I was not talking about Agosta specifically but generally (edited my post now) .

@Penguin , what is the maximum weight of missiles that can be launched through torpedo tubes from any submarine ??

Depends on what sub and what make and size of torpedo tubes: russian tubes tend to be longer than e.g. nato tubes and can accommodate longer (thus heavier) ordnance. Also depends on diameter : 324mm (lightweight ASW), 533mm (standard heavyweight) or 650mm extra large tubes. The limiting factor is available tube-volume not ordnance weight (consider the weight of e.g. SLBMs...)

To contrast with sublaunched SM-39 Exocet : Klub-S uses 3M-54E, which is no less than 8.2 m long and weighs 2,300 kg.... (both can be fired from 533mm tubes). By comparison, a 533mm USN Mk48 heavy weight torpedo measures 5,79m and weighs 1,545 - 1,663 kg, depending on version. Russian 533mm Type 53-65 is longer at 7.2 m and weighs 2,070 kg–2,300 kg. Russian type 65 (65-79) torpedo of 650mm measures no less than 9.14m (11m?) and weighs 4,750 kg.

Agosta 90 uses French torpedoes
ECAN L5 Mod 3: 4.320 m and 935 kg
ECAN F17 Mod 2: 6.0m and 1,410 kg

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/index_weapons.htm

Hi,

A few of the important things in a sub----how quiet the sub is---how advanced the electronics package is---for how long it can stay submerged( for non nuc subs )----and the most important of all----how fast you can RELOAD the torpedoes after the first launch.

To build and operate a sub---there is no substitute for EXPERIENCE---. Building a sub is taking engineering to a totally different pleateau.

I forgot to mention the CRUSH DEPTH. The deeper it can dive and survive.

Just remember----every submarine has to be perfect every single time----every single minute that you work on a sub----you have to give your 100%. Every single weld that you make has to be 100% right every single time.

Just imagine that at a thousand foot depth there is a leak the size of a PIN HEAD in the bulkhead----what do you thank that leak will do to a human body if you walked across it----the water / jet stream would be coming in at such a high pressure that it will cut your body in half before you knew what happened----.

Currently 1.4 tons torpedoes are being launched through Agosta 90B tubes..But i am not sure if that's the maximum that can be done.
In navy or maritime environment there is a term called SWL, or safe working load which is 1/6th of the breaking stress of the material or equipment.
So if a tube or equipment is certified for one ton..It can handle 6 tons before breaking.
In an end game scenario,where Agusta 90B of Pakistan has to launch a Nuclear strike via LACM......i think Babur can be launched safely despite being tad heavier than the Torpedoes on the sub.

Currently 1.4 tons torpedoes are being launched through Agosta 90B tubes..But i am not sure if that's the maximum that can be done.
In navy or maritime environment there is a term called SWL, or safe working load which is 1/6th of the breaking stress of the material or equipment.
So if a tube or equipment is certified for one ton..It can handle 6 tons before breaking.

In an end game scenario,where Agusta 90B of Pakistan has to launch a Nuclear strike via LACM......i think Babur can be launched safely despite being tad heavier than the Torpedoes on the sub.

Loll, Dreamraper. It just does not work like that. This is not some "Mooring Rope" or a "Wire Hawser" or Gantline that is being talked about. In any case the 'factor of safety:6' is also an arbitrary measure. Some critical "Lifting Gear" on board ships work with even higher 'factors of safety'. case in point: Heavy Lift Cargo Gear.

Now coming to the Torpedo tubes, its not so much the weight of the ordnance in them ie Torpedos and Missiles, but rather the working pressures when in use that matters. That is NOT the SWL of the Torpedo Tube, but the NWP.

Btw, did you work as a "Sparks" or Purser/Steward on board ships? You do sound sometimes like that. :)

^^^ Come to IDF i am discussing it in detail over there..... @Capt.Popeye you sound like a topus ;)..so full of krap you are (Happy now?)

^^^ Come to IDF i am discussing it in detail over there..... @Capt.Popeye you sound like a topus ;)..so full of krap you are (Happy now?)

A Dreamraper; at least get the spelling right, it is Topass. But then that is something beyond Scullions, righty mate? :D

1238799_574152465964710_1468902427_n.jpg

Still I would say that Pakistan could have approached to BDs as they were also keen on buying Submarines from Pakistan in 2005 like Agosta-90B. I am sure they would have easily convince to buy about 3 of Agosta-90Bs in 2005 with final deliveries till 2011 along with training too.

Also this would give KSEW a chance as well as PN to have 6 for PN and 3 for BDs and may be 3 for Nigeria if they want it.

it is better to made 2 more agosta 90b
reason to add 2 more is alternative solution to encounter indian thread
we already have building agosta 90b in pakistan so with in max in 2-3 years we can manufacture them at home
if the funding is the issue than offer Saudia for also contribution in he project
same like s-Korea who offer type 209 subs to Indonesia

Back
Top Bottom