What's new

Sri Lanka looks to be ‘Wonder of Asia’; hopes to pull in more tourists from China, Russia

Lol yeah my mate tells me about it all the time, something about a free-house program for displaced Tamils in the north and how they wanted air-conditioning or the like.

I'm going to Colombo again in December for his cousins wedding. It's being held at the Cinnamon Hotel, gonna be one helluva week :3

Re: your last line.
Not to worry, I felt nothing but the most warm of welcomes. My friend's family made me feel like I was a part of their household. Everywhere I went (and I went to a lot of places) I felt right at home.

It's why I get all hot and bothered when people talk about Lankan and Indian animosity. It's so blatantly obvious that it is not the case in reality.
is it the genetic bond.. after all sri lankans say they share gene with bengalis.. lolz.

In any case, during civil war, lankans were never beaten up in tamilnadu. Recent incidents of lankan tourists being beaten up might have vitiated the atmosphere a bit.
What I gather from lankans here, they dont just hate south Indians(and their own tamils), they look down upon them as some racially inferior human. That bit is worrying and might come back to trouble lanka.

south Indians is a broad term, there are four major south Indian states: tamilnadu, kerala, karnataka and AP. You have feud with only tamils.
is it the genetic bond.. after all sri lankans say they share gene with bengalis.. lolz.

In any case, during civil war, lankans were never beaten up in tamilnadu. Recent incidents of lankan tourists being beaten up might have vitiated the atmosphere a bit.
What I gather from lankans here, they dont just hate south Indians(and their own tamils), they look down upon them as some racially inferior human. That bit is worrying and might come back to trouble lanka.

To me this is natural thing, average Tamil is some dark black skin tone holders, short and skinny. They have issue with competition with some other ethnics. In that case they think it's a discrimination towards to them. then start to live away from majority and seeking to have life separate from others.. In India it's the same, even all south Indians are Dravidians but people from Kerala seem somewhat light skin tone holders than Tamilnadu Tamils.

example if there is a girl from delhi and girl from a Tamilnadu, our eyes may first go to Delhi. It's just natural thing in humans. is it a discrimination? I really get puzzled sometimes.

To me this is natural thing, average Tamil is some dark black skin tone holders, short and skinny. They have issue with competition with some other ethnics. In that case they think it's a discrimination towards to them. then start to live away from majority and seeking to have life separate from others.. In India it's the same, even all south Indians are Dravidians but people from Kerala seem somewhat light skin tone holders than Tamilnadu Tamils.

example if there is a girl from delhi and girl from a Tamilnadu, our eyes may first go to Delhi. It's just natural thing in humans. is it a discriminations? I really get puzzled sometimes.
you are confusing our sense of beauty with whether to consider others as equal human being. My sense of beauty might say I dont like east asian look, does it mean I look down upon chinese?
Finding fair skin attractive is not racism as such.

You think somebody who is darker, shorter and skinner is inferior, and dont even realize that we were considered exactly like that and discriminated against half a century ago, and most recently in south africa by white folks.

you are confusing our sense of beauty with whether to consider others as equal human being. My sense of beauty might say I dont like east asian look, does it mean I look down upon chinese?

You think somebody who is darker, shorter and skinner is inferior, and dont even realize that we were considered exactly like that and discriminated against half a century ago, and most recently in south africa by white folks.

I clearly understand what you're saying. but what I have mentioned what we see in the society.

@hinduguy , @kbd-raaf , @Janmejay
some of the comments made by some lankans here are embarrasing. And no we dont care whether indians come from North or South, and we dont care whther they look fair or dark. Majority of the Lankans dont care. And S Lankans do not hate indians. That is a misconception spread by LTTE propagandists.

Have a nice time here and we hope you take back cherished memories!

tbh I don`t think being dark has ever been a problem to anyone in SL..SL don`t have a cast system or an obsession with light skin like rest of S.asia and being dark and tall resembles manliness in SL culture. And even for women as there are may songs written for dark girls as many find it sexy 

Sri Lanka is probably the only country in South Asia that is not obsessed with white skin..Some comments here from lankans are strange

tbh I don`t think being dark has ever been a problem to anyone in SL..SL don`t have a cast system or an obsession with light skin like rest of S.asia and being dark and tall resembles manliness in SL culture. And even for women as there are may songs written for dark girls as many find it sexy 

Sri Lanka is probably the only country in South Asia that is not obsessed with white skin..Some comments here from lankans are strange
I have no idea whether you are right or the guy I replied to. Caste system has nothing to do with color of skin but thats another story. 
@hinduguy , @kbd-raaf , @Janmejay
some of the comments made by some lankans here are embarrasing. And no we dont care whether indians come from North or South, and we dont care whther they look fair or dark. Majority of the Lankans dont care. And S Lankans do not hate indians. That is a misconception spread by LTTE propagandists.

Have a nice time here and we hope you take back cherished memories!
I have not heard of any LTTE propaganda, and most Indians have not heard it, otherwise they wont be flocking the island with no preconceived notion. Nobody goes on a holiday to relax, half expecting to be abused.
I repied to him because that seems to be a sentiment among lankans(tamils are inferior being) has been earlier pointed out by more than one lankan member, with lots of pictures to prove it.

There are a few Indian posters who said the same about africans, which is equally racist, so am not impying lankans are the only one. But because tamils are such a huge minority, its going to be a problem again in future.

Last edited:
Reality is this....>> Africans/black> South Asians/brown > Asian/yellow > Europeans/white

this is what I have seen...

Reality is this....>> Africans/black> South Asians/brown > Asian/yellow > Europeans/white

this is what I have seen...

Some Sri Lankans and Indian can be dark as africans..However the main difference between tamils and Sinhalese is not the colour(best example is Mathews who is black but doesn't look tamil)..Tamils , mainly the ones that live in India are so skinny (probably due to lack of nutrition ) and short..Also more hairy and have different features that are hard t explain..English accent of Lankan tamils is more similar to the Sinhalese English accent.English accents of both South and North Indians are similar and also not that pleasant tbh

Some Sri Lankans and Indian can be dark as africans..However the main difference between tamils and Sinhalese is not the colour(best example is Mathews who is black but doesn't look tamil)..Tamils , mainly the ones that live in India are so skinny (probably due to lack of nutrition ) and short..Also more hairy and have different features that are hard t explain..English accent of Lankan tamils is more similar to the Sinhalese English accent.English accents of both South and North Indians are similar and also not that pleasant tbh

Angelo Mathews is half Tamil / half Sinhalese. His father is Tamil and his mother is Sinhalese.

Erm, that's not true.

The tallest guy Indian guy I know is 6'5'' and Tamil.

That's utter b.s.

I've never met a Lankan who hated anybody and I've met a lot. In fact I remember very clearly the drunken debauchery that we got upto on a hill station near Kandy. The park rangers were pissed off, not a single comment was made about India/Indians. Except when we got inebriated and talked about whether Indian chicks were better than Lankan chicks etc etc.

I remember it as clear as day, it was very cold, especially considering it's a largely tropical country.

FYI: It was 4 Lankan Sinhalese, me (Indian Bengali) and my other Indian friend (Indian from Bangalore). That's right one of us was South Indian, no hate was felt.

Just like you cant judge Indians through forum Indians, you cannot judge Lankans through few forum Lankans.. Some of the comments made here about the perception of south Indians should be taken in that context.. As a person who have traveled to India numerous times i know contrary to perception people in Kerala, Karnataka have positive views of Lankans and vise versa

Last edited:
Just like you cant judge Indians through forum Indians, you cannot judge Lankans through few forum Lankans.. Some of the comments made here about the perception of south Indians should be taken in that context

Of course not. PDF is not a good case for a study of Indo-Lankan relations.

Back
Top Bottom