What's new

Sri Lanka in the top list of binge drinking

I think we are reading the stats wrong.

Say in SriLanka, 10 people drink, out of those 10, 8 are binge drinkers, that means 80% of Srilankans who drink, binge. And now say in Australia, 100 people drink, out of that 100, 40 are binge drinkers, that means 40% of Australians who drink binge.

Which country would you say has a drinking problem?

The other aspect is Lankans drink more spirits while Aussies, Europeans and the like drink more beer and other brews like wine.. So the alcohol contentent consumed by the mentioned countries in the study is also higher in per capita

Come on buddy. Despite all your government restrictions do you really think that liquor market doesn't have any space in your country? In a place like Saudi and UAE where there is an islamic law implemented, alcohol flows freely for those who know how to get it.

Here in India, alcohol is heavily taxed and very expensive compared to western and even southeast Asian countries. But do you think that people don't drink much? On the contrary, alcoholism has increased almost three times in since last few years. Black market, shady businesses etc all fuel the supply.

I was surprised how we Indians are not on the top list.

In fact, if they legalize alcohol and reduce taxes, it will make people consume less in long term because people will get bored and smuggling will stop.

All Jordanians/Syrians/Iraqis/Turks drink like there is no tomorrow and happily.

Lot of Arabs drink too and less said about Pakistanis,Cheema pai ne diya desi daaru di peg,chadao aur aish karo.

The other aspect is Lankans drink more spirits while Aussies, Europeans and the like drink more beer and other brews like wine.. So the alcohol contentent consumed by the mentioned countries in the study is also higher in per capita

I doubt that. Countries like Srilanka, India, you have a very small group of people who drink regularly, western countries you have a large group of people who drink regularly.

Per capita Srilanka will be no where near the top.

List of countries by alcohol consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

keep justifying.

South Indians and Srilankans, especially the great friends n foes Tamil/Mallus/Srilankans love to drink Napolean Brandy with Fish Fry or Mutton fry.

It's called Devilled in the island.. Any dish thats consumed while drinking that has enough chille to give you arse burn for a week is devilled.. :lol:

10-High-Cliffe-devilled-beef.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt that. Countries like Srilanka, India, you have a very small group of people who drink regularly, western countries you have a large group of people who drink regularly.

Per capita Srilanka will be no where near the top.

List of countries by alcohol consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thats the amount of alcohol consumed.. In many cases Beer.. Just that in countries like Lanka vast majority of it is spirits like Arrack and country liqueur, which at most times are not accounted for in such surveys

Another example is Fiji.. Where kava is drunk in copious amounts but never figure as a country with high consumption.. but if you happen to visit Fiji you'd see the real picture.. Most of these survey's take in to account the quantity of ethanol either manufactured or imported.. they fail to account for other means of alcohol drinking

The prohibition leads to people to abuse illegal substances like moonshine and country liqueur, Which is more dangerous and leads to death.. I've read somewhere that in India it's quite common for mass deaths by alcohol poisoning due to moonshine

Exactly.. Which leads to even bigger issues

In India, Moonshine is consumed as it is cheap. Alcohol is banned only in Gujarat.

Thats the amount of alcohol consumed.. In many cases Beer.. Just that in countries like Lanka vast majority of it is spirits like Arrack and country liqueur, which at most times are not accounted for in such surveys

Another example is Fiji.. Where kava is drunk in copious amounts but never figure as a country with high consumption.. but if you happen to visit Fiji you'd see the real picture.. Most of these survey's take in to account the quantity of ethanol either manufactured or imported.. they fail to account for other means of alcohol drinking

Don't think Kava is alchoholic, I have passed many a RBTs while high on Kava. :lol:

My husband loves it and my brother too, bol bol ke tak gayi mein.

DMbeer%26stout00062d.jpg

For the health conscious :angel:

Don't think Kava is alchoholic, I have passed many a RBTs while high on Kava. :lol:

My point exactly.. But gives the same high albeit the throwing up without ethanol .. It also has the same detrimental effect on the liver just like alchohol

Back
Top Bottom