What's new

Some Turks reconsidering Arabic connection to Turkish language

for our language it is very clear latin alphabet would work much better

I agree 100%
Other option would be to reform the alphabet. I think todays technology and the technology of near future would make mass translation of literature not that difficult. When changing alphabet, you have also to change all the literature of the country.

Dude, Urdu & most other Languages in Pakistan are written in the Persian Script - Its absolutely beautiful & quite a bit different than the Arabic Script !

It doesn't present any challenge in understanding or reading it that may inhibit a Nation's attempts at increasing Literacy nor does it seem to have any inherent deficiency to it ! Just ask the Chinese, the Japanese & the Koreans - Their languages aren't exactly easy to read or write or to learn & yet they've progressed more than most Asians combined.

So why fix something that isn't broken ?

Dude, Urdu & most other Languages in Pakistan are written in the Persian Script - Its absolutely beautiful & quite a bit different than the Arabic Script !

It doesn't present any challenge in understanding or reading it that may inhibit a Nation's attempts at increasing Literacy nor does it seem to have any inherent deficiency to it ! Just ask the Chinese, the Japanese & the Koreans - Their languages aren't exactly easy to read or write or to learn & yet they've progressed more than most Asians combined.

So why fix something that isn't broken ?

Chinese use Chinese script and learn to pronounce these words using Latin Script.

Chinese use Chinese script and learn to pronounce these words using Latin Script.

I didn't know that. I thought they learned everything using the Chinese (Mandarin) Script; you know the one written in a North-South direction.

I took a Chinese Language Course (for 2 weeks :ashamed:) they never did this there ! :undecided:

Hey @Chinese-Dragon - Is that so ? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Turkey would not go for Arabic script. Turkey's best strategic interest is in forming close relationship with Turkic central Asia. Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan have adopted Latin from Cyrillic. Kirghistan and Kazakhstan are still using Cyrillic.

Turkey will loss Central Asia Going back Arabic script, although she will gain influence in some Arabic countries. But most Arab will never accept Turks as one of their kind, and hence, Turkish would not go too far by returning to Ottoman way.

On the other hand, there is immense potential of Turkey to exert itself in Turkic central Asia. Using Arabic alphabet will only cut Turkey off central asia.

I didn't know that. I thought they learned everything using the Chinese (Mandarin) Script; you know the one written in a North-South direction.

I took a Chinese Language Course (for 2 weeks :ashamed:) they never did this there ! :undecided:

Hey @Chinese-Dragon - Is that so ? :unsure:

Its not nessesary to use Latin script. You can just learn it by brute memorization like in the old days.

There have been many transcription systems in China in the past including the Arabic script. Xiaoerjing is the name of the Arabic script which is used to write Chinese.

Its not nessesary to use Latin script. You can just learn it by brute memorization like in the old days.

There have been many transcription systems in China in the past including the Arabic script. Xiaoerjing is the name of the Arabic script which is used to write Chinese,

But Latin Alphabet is officially recognized now.

But Latin Alphabet is officially recognized now.

They just want to make it easier for learners. Its not nessesary, but it makes it easier for inputting into computers and its for transcription in foreigners like on maps and writing Chinese names in foreign languages.

Just a little over 100 years ago people memorized thousands of characters with no help at all.

Chinese Dictionaries are arrange by radicals and strokes in the characters and not by alphabetical order in the latin transcription.

I agree 100%
Other option would be to reform the alphabet. I think todays technology and the technology of near future would make mass translation of literature not that difficult. When changing alphabet, you have also to change all the literature of the country.

You'll bet that after the mullahs are gone Iran's language will eventually be Persianized too. Perhaps even a swift to Latin alphabet, although that would be quite extreme. Or even use Old Persian script, which was different from Semite scripts at that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Persian
I don't support the Idea of moving to Latin alphabet there are sounds on our language that you cant write with Latin alphabet .

I agree 100%

Softwares can make such tasks to be executed in minutes.
Have you ever used a disaster called Machine translation ?

They just want to make it easier for learners. Its not nessesary, but it makes it easier for inputting into computers and its for transcription in foreigners like on maps and writing Chinese names in foreign languages.

Just a little over 100 years ago people memorized thousands of characters with no help at all.

Chinese Dictionaries are arrange by radicals and strokes in the characters and not by alphabetical order in the latin transcription.

You must have very bulky typewriter in old days for Chinese characters.

There was never something called Ottoman "Turkish" it was only Ottoman language , plus it was a mixture of Arabic and Persian words almost without a single Turkish word in it.Our original language was Old Turkic alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but because of Ottomans we lost the language our ancestors used and whats more funny outside the palace courts simple man in the street was not even aware there was a freak-of-a-language called Ottoman language existed.So my point is many muslims ignorant to our rootS love to say "Kafir Ataturk replaced old Ottoman Turkish with Western latin alphabet" no it did not happen like that : Our root language was forgotten because of Ottomans Ataturk simply restored it after abolishing this Arabic-Persian language.Thanks to modern Turkish today we can easily understand our kinship (Turkic people) from Middle-East to all over Central Asia if it wasn't for modern Turkish we could not even understands whats Azeri Turks living in next door saying.

There was the Chagatai Turkic literary language in central asia and it played a similar role to Ottoman langauge. Some of it was highly persianized or arabized and it was the official court language in central asian states. The Soviets replaced it with vernacular Uzbek in cyrillic script and now Uzbeks cannot read anything written past 100 years ago which is sad.

People can learn registers of the same language, its called diglossia, they learn one in school and speak another at home.

I don't support the Idea of moving to Latin alphabet there are sounds on our language that you cant write with Latin alphabet .

Latin Alphabet make confusion between many phonology of Indian languages because there are insufficient letters and duplicate letters.

Turkey would not go for Arabic script. Turkey's best strategic interest is in forming close relationship with Turkic central Asia. Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan have adopted Latin from Cyrillic. Kirghistan and Kazakhstan are still using Cyrillic.

Turkey will loss Central Asia Going back Arabic script, although she will gain influence in some Arabic countries. But most Arab will never accept Turks as one of their kind, and hence, Turkish would not go too far by returning to Ottoman way.

On the other hand, there is immense potential of Turkey to exert itself in Turkic central Asia. Using Arabic alphabet will only cut Turkey off central asia.

Chinese Hokkien or Cantonese written with Malay arabic script.

K's Writing System Research Blog: A Chinese Signboard Written in the Jawi Script

PB230264.JPG

PB230265.JPG

Melaka-Nam-Fatt-2332.jpg

Its unfortunate that Malaysia and Indonesia changed the Malay arab script to Roman alphabet. But I heard they still teach it in schools in Malaysia is that true?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom