What's new

Sikh families leave Orakzai after Taliban demand jizia

I don't see a problem with imposing Jizya on the Sikhs, providing they imposed Zakat on the Muslims at the same time. That would seem fair.

The only issue is how much they're imposing, and are they imposing it on the Muslims also?

you serious?
would they plant flower-beds with that money?
and money apart...jizya is discriminatory...why dont you tell these sikhs flat that they are not welcomed as long as they dont convert to islam!

you serious?
would they plant flower-beds with that money?

Orakzai is a tribal agency. I suppose it goes to the tribe in charge. Is the Taliban in charge of the Orakzai tribe? Surely not. It must be Orakzai in charge of Orakzai, i think.

and money apart...jizya is discriminatory...why dont you tell these sikhs flat that they are not welcomed as long as they dont convert to islam!

Jizya is not discriminatory. There's an equal Zakat that should be applied to the Muslim residents also.

Orakzai is a tribal agency. I suppose it goes to the tribe in charge. Is the Taliban in charge of the Orakzai tribe? Surely not. It must be Orakzai in charge of Orakzai, i think.

Jizya is not discriminatory. There's an equal Zakat that should be applied to the Muslim residents also.
In the modern world uniform taxes, which belong to the Government of Pakistan, make both nullified.

This is shameful... We are effectively abusing, mistreating millions of Pakistanis who would otherwise be Patriots of the nation!

Yeah? Why give it different names then if its the same tax?

The jizya and zakat were kept separate, as it was considered inequitable to spend jizya (collected from non-Muslims) on the welfare of Muslims and vice versa.[42]

Paritosh - no point arguing here - they will always find a way to justify this disgusting ideology.

It's an opinion that Islam is a disgusting ideology. I disagree. I find your ignorance disgusting likewise, your ideology must produce your ignorance, so i find your ideology disgusting by logical follow through.

@ Roadrunner: Imposing zakat on Muslim, yes that would be fair. Last I read in the press, the Taliban do have a Baitul Maal for which they collect funds from the earnings of miners in the Swat's emerald mines.

@Paritosh: Sorry but I'll disagree on this one. One should not think about rehabilitating the Sikhs outside. That's not the solution to this problem. A country needs diversity to promote tolerance, religious and otherwise. Shifting minorities out is an easy option but not the smartest. The Taliban need to be rooted out. The journey to the Stone Ages began when they were allowed by the US to proliferate in Afghanistan. I hope you haven't forgotten the Buddha statues in Bamiyan and the Sikhs of Afghanistan

Do you know what Jizya is? This is what it was when Mogals ruled India, except the money -

1. Non-muslims can not carry any sort of weapons, including knives etc.
2. Non-muslims can not choose muslim names for their children.
3. Non-muslims can not purchase/keep gold, silver ornaments.
4. Non-muslims can not own land. And they needed whole lot of permissions to run their business.

I don't know what is it today in Pakistan, but I am sure it will not be very different. If this is not discriminatory, what is?

@ Roadrunner: Imposing zakat on Muslim, yes that would be fair. Last I read in the press, the Taliban do have a Baitul Maal for which they collect funds from the earnings of miners in the Swat's emerald mines.

@Paritosh: Sorry but I'll disagree on this one. One should not think about rehabilitating the Sikhs outside. That's not the solution to this problem. A country needs diversity to promote tolerance, religious and otherwise. Shifting minorities out is an easy option but not the smartest. The Taliban need to be rooted out. The journey to the Stone Ages began when they were allowed by the US to proliferate in Afghanistan. I hope you haven't forgotten the Buddha statues in Bamiyan and the Sikhs of Afghanistan

You are talking Jinnah's language, what Pakistan meant to him. Sadly Jinnah's Pakistan died & was buried with him in 1948. What remains today is a ghastly distortion of his ideas. It is Gen Zia Ul Haq legacy, which is flowing thru Pakistani administration's veins today.

Your Muslim population has reached to 97% today, from 80 odd at the time of partition. And at least your administration does not care about rest of the 3%. So, sadly, you are just one of those voices which probably will never be heard.

In the modern world uniform taxes, which belong to the Government of Pakistan, make both nullified.

That's perhaps true that the government of Pakistan should get any tax, but it is a tribal agency which is autonomous and generally has laws subject to tribal and government whims.

Legally, therefore, you may be right, or may not be. I don't think it matters what the rest of the world does. What works in FATA, works in FATA. It's an unusual place.

This is shameful... We are effectively abusing, mistreating millions of Pakistanis who would otherwise be Patriots of the nation!

If they're charging that much Jizya from Sikhs, and if they're not doing the same to Muslim residents, then it would be unfair. Agreed.

@ Paritosh and Roadrunner: you guys are having a mini pow-wow on a public forum, funny :D

Firstly, the rates of zakat and jizya are different. Don't know by how much though.

Orakzai is a federally administered tribal area which till late last year worked under the FCR. I don't think zakat was collected. But yes whatever revenue is generated would be given to the agency only, with the federal government taking its share.

Last edited:

If they charge the miners equal amounts, then I suppose it is fair.

The ideology needs rooting out. And so do the Uzbek and Arab militants.

Do you know what Jizya is? This is what it was when Mogals ruled India, except the money -

1. Non-muslims can not carry any sort of weapons, including knives etc.
2. Non-muslims can not choose muslim names for their children.
3. Non-muslims can not purchase/keep gold, silver ornaments.
4. Non-muslims can not own land. And they needed whole lot of permissions to run their business.

I don't know what is it today in Pakistan, but I am sure it will not be very different. If this is not discriminatory, what is?

Oh whatever. Go back to reading "The Hindutva factbook of Islamic horrors" by the Shiv Sena. The Jizya is just a tax. I'm not going to explain it further if you can't understand this.

You are talking Jinnah's language, what Pakistan meant to him. Sadly Jinnah's Pakistan died & was buried with him in 1948. What remains today is a ghastly distortion of his ideas. It is Gen Zia Ul Haq legacy, which is flowing thru Pakistani administration's veins today.

Your Muslim population has reached to 97% today, from 80 odd at the time of partition. And at least your administration does not care about rest of the 3%. So, sadly, you are just one of those voices which probably will never be heard.
"Your Muslim population has reached to 97% today, from 80 odd at the time of partition. And at least your administration does not care about rest of the 3%. So, sadly, you are just one of those voices which probably will never be heard."

Sowie but my history book taught me that we started off with 97 per cent Muslims only :)

Nah, i think the minorities are more in number (or at least in Karachi) and this is a gross underestimation of the actual numbers. Yes, unfortunately, the administration does not care about them but I am hopeful that my voice will not be lost. Umeed par dunya qaim hai :D

A person who can't afford to pay Jizya has to convert to Islam.

Lol. You Indians are seriously brainwashed. I'm surprised the Indian government isn't sanctioned for the amount of anti Muslim bias they put in their textbooks. I've seen more level headed analysis regarding Islam from American books and commentary.

"Your Muslim population has reached to 97% today, from 80 odd at the time of partition.

Sowie but my history book taught me that we started off with 97 per cent Muslims only :)

This is pure Hindutva propaganda and off topic.

But Pakistan (west) always had 97% Muslim population even before partition.

The 80% included the East Pakistani Hindus who migrated out of Bangladesh at partition.

You Indians keep using this blatant bit of Hindu propaganda, and I keep disproving it.

Back
Top Bottom