What's new

Shocking Photos of Cramped Hong Kong Apartments

This reminds me the Taiwan, their county's housing layout is totally different.

I have seen worse in general compartments of some Indian trains, but both are different cases.

Tis is not because of the population, but the sky rocketing Price of land.

My parent and my brother still have apartment in Hong Kong. You got to be rich, not just ok to buy an apartment in Hong Kong. A second hand 580 Sq ft (90 Square meter) Apartment cost 3 millions Hong Kong Dollars to buy which is roughtly 400,000 USD.

You have to be a billionares if you want to own a house in Hong Kong.

There are apartment everywhere, just not everyone can afford it. If you can't afford it, then you need to start thinking of renting one, that gonna cost you 9000 HKD (~1200 USD) per month. If you can't afford that, then you got share house, which cost you around 5000 HKD per month. If you cannot afford it then, "Cages" like those are your only choice. It cost you aroun 2000-3000 PCM.

Once they have their independence status and the war with mainland breaks out, their and YOUR property price will drop dramatically. May be your family would be killed too.

Once they have their independence status and the war with mainland breaks out, their and YOUR property price will drop dramatically. May be your family would be killed too.

Edit your post or face the eternal wrath of the mods!
Anyway i'm calling in the cavalry!
@WebMaster @Oscar @Aeronaut,

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't surprising in many skyscraper and highly modern cities where living vertical is the only way there are many people who live in small apartments although the ones you see in the first post are shoebox apartments which are less common but not too hard to find either. Whether in NYC, Hong Kong, or SF, many cities have apartments that are at minimum ~80 square feet micro-apartments, usually for single people who only use the apartment for sleeping and desk-work and are out for most of the day being productive.

Here's a photo of a 250 sq ft micro-apartment in SF, larger than most dorms.

250-sf-micro-studio-in-san-fransisco-02.jpg

Tis is not because of the population, but the sky rocketing Price of land.

My parent and my brother still have apartment in Hong Kong. You got to be rich, not just ok to buy an apartment in Hong Kong. A second hand 580 Sq ft (90 Square meter) Apartment cost 3 millions Hong Kong Dollars to buy which is roughtly 400,000 USD.

You have to be a billionares if you want to own a house in Hong Kong.

There are apartment everywhere, just not everyone can afford it. If you can't afford it, then you need to start thinking of renting one, that gonna cost you 9000 HKD (~1200 USD) per month. If you can't afford that, then you got share house, which cost you around 5000 HKD per month. If you cannot afford it then, "Cages" like those are your only choice. It cost you aroun 2000-3000 PCM.

Prove you are not ex HK resident, 580 Square feet, take is as 600 square feet cost you 8 million HKD, why? because there are always two price tag, one is include public space eg garden platform, one is exclude it, it is call Net Floor Area, if you want your apartment has 600 square feet, you have to buy a "800 square feet" one, and the latest price of square feet of the HK major estate is 9000~12000HKD. But HKer don't worry, HK real estate price will drop due to the counter measure carry out by the CCP of the independence movement.

This isn't surprising in many skyscraper and highly modern cities where living vertical is the only way there are many people who live in small apartments although the ones you see in the first post are shoebox apartments which are less common but not too hard to find either. Whether in NYC, Hong Kong, or SF, many cities have apartments that are at minimum ~80 square feet micro-apartments, usually for single people who only use the apartment for sleeping and desk-work and are out for most of the day being productive.

Reminds me of my hostel room, but seems quite livable for a working Bachelor.

I have always felt that East Asian culture allows for a most enjoyable life. even the poorest people in HK,china,korea,japan live rather happily as compared to the poorest in the rest of the world. these rooms are rather neat compared to the slums of pakistan, india and africa where the poor live in the middle of garbage and sewage. also the people in these pics look healthy and fine to me.

Even the americans are jealous at the living standards of HK. They poke fun at our folks to make their poor people feel better. Have I mentioned cheerleading indians?

The less fortunate folks in HK are being taken care of by the government for their basic needs. I
think the government is increasing tens of millions HK dollars of poverty subsidies too in the new budget year!
We are? :lol:

Kid, I work with engineers from mainland China (including Hong Kong), Taiwan, South Korea, and Singapore. I have been to each of those countries. I know what a 'middle class' person, as defined by their countries, live like. Not one of them have the same living quarters as an average American 'middle class' person/worker. My house is 3000 sq/ft, 1500 top and 1500 basement, and a 2 SUVs garage with attached workshop, all on .25 acre. That is practically a mansion in HK.

We are? :lol:

Kid, I work with engineers from mainland China (including Hong Kong), Taiwan, South Korea, and Singapore. I have been to each of those countries. I know what a 'middle class' person, as defined by their countries, live like. Not one of them have the same living quarters as an average American 'middle class' person/worker. My house is 3000 sq/ft, 1500 top and 1500 basement, and a 2 SUVs garage with attached workshop, all on .25 acre. That is practically a mansion in HK.

Did the HK engineer promoting HK independence to you or any other colleague?

Reminds me of my hostel room, but seems quite livable for a working Bachelor.

My dorm is ~120 sq ft, I can get by just fine with this amount of space, so it's fine for a single busy guy whose either in studies and/or working. I'm usually out of my dorm for most of the day either way.

True again. But if you develop multiple center's of attraction, this flood of migrants coming all to one region gets mitigated.

That is the entire point, to have distributed growth, not one region of immense growth so that the cities are sustainable.
This belongs under governmental policies. Unfortunately, unequal natural distribution of resources exists. For example, coastal regions have historically been the first to experience wealth creation, even with today's air travel technology. Access to sea lanes is a natural resource. The human intellect is another resource and this one is portable. People, smart or otherwise, will be attracted to where wealth can be, has been, and will be, generated. When this human resource is geographically shifted, the land/region that was abandoned will suffer neglect. The more people abandon where they came from to go where they can make a buck, so to speak, unequal distribution of wealth, existing and future, will come to be.

This is where technicians, such as economists and sociologists, must come in and not ideologues.

I dont agree with China's method of forced one child policy, but you cannot dispute that it has yielded results. That said, the implications of them ageing fast is another discussion altogether.
Result is one thing, consequence is another, and whether that result have any benefit or not is another. There is no definitive proof that the 'one child' policy have any long term benefits, as in alleviating stresses on China's aggregate resources. Yes, it can alleviate stresses locally, as in very locally like in a city, because there is a limit to population growth inside that border. But overall, geographical China is still vast enough to support the current population.

Did the HK engineer promoting HK independence to you or any other colleague?
Sorry, I never broached the subject directly, but obliquely, some of them were guarded of their opinions. They conceded that Hong Kong is a part of China, even more so than Taiwan is, but they prefers Hong Kong as is over what the rest of China as is.

That is my mother's bathroom and walk in closet in her house in Vegas.

This belongs under governmental policies. Unfortunately, unequal natural distribution of resources exists. For example, coastal regions have historically been the first to experience wealth creation, even with today's air travel technology. Access to sea lanes is a natural resource. The human intellect is another resource and this one is portable. People, smart or otherwise, will be attracted to where wealth can be, has been, and will be, generated. When this human resource is geographically shifted, the land/region that was abandoned will suffer neglect. The more people abandon where they came from to go where they can make a buck, so to speak, unequal distribution of wealth, existing and future, will come to be.

This is where technicians, such as economists and sociologists, must come in and not ideologues.

Result is one thing, consequence is another, and whether that result have any benefit or not is another. There is no definitive proof that the 'one child' policy have any long term benefits, as in alleviating stresses on China's aggregate resources. Yes, it can alleviate stresses locally, as in very locally like in a city, because there is a limit to population growth inside that border. But overall, geographical China is still vast enough to support the current population.

It might be enough. But the point is that a country becomes richer in the real sense - per capita - faster, when there is limited population growth.

And while China may be able to support all that population - smaller countries like India, Bangladesh and Pakistan need to control their population as our countries, or at the very least India and Bangladesh have started having severe land resource strain.

Back
Top Bottom