What's new

Second test of Nirbhay cruise missile in February

wow, a cruise missile carrying a nuclear payload can potentially change the tide of war by delivering exact and pinpoint chaos....
Actually, pinpoint accuray is not that important for a nuclear weapon. Even if they miss by 10 meters or even 100 meters, the destructive power of the explosion will wipe out the city. Nuclear weapons are area weapons, meant to vaporize a large area. So if Pak shoots a nuke at Mumbai, or India shoots one at Karachi, missing by a hundred meters or so makes no difference. The circular error probability of modern ballistic missiles is only in the range of tens of meters.

The advantage of nuclear tipped cruise missiles is that they can be launched undetected, compared to ballistic ones. Satelites and radars and AEWACS will find it more difficult to detect them. Also, since they can maneuver in flight, they have a better chance of evading anti misssile systems. I wouldn't describe either capability as one that can change the tide of war, because for one thing, for both India and Pakistan, nukes are weapons of peace, not weapons of war. Also, neither have credible missile defence shields anyway. Or highly sophisticated satellite tracking systems.

Nukes are not going to be employed as warfighters by either country, so whether they are mounted on cruise or ballistic missiles is not that important.

Great news if true. We really need to induct it in next 2-3 years which seems to be very much possible especially land based and sub launched versions.

2-3 years is impossible. It took 5-6 years for Babur to get inducted to strategic forces. Guidance technologies in CM is not some childs play that can be mastered in such short time

Actually, pinpoint accuray is not that important for a nuclear weapon. Even if they miss by 10 meters or even 100 meters, the destructive power of the explosion will wipe out the city. Nuclear weapons are area weapons, meant to vaporize a large area. So if Pak shoots a nuke at Mumbai, or India shoots one at Karachi, missing by a hundred meters or so makes no difference. The circular error probability of modern ballistic missiles is only in the range of tens of meters.

The advantage of nuclear tipped cruise missiles is that they can be launched undetected, compared to ballistic ones. Satelites and radars and AEWACS will find it more difficult to detect them. Also, since they can maneuver in flight, they have a better chance of evading anti misssile systems. I wouldn't describe either capability as one that can change the tide of war, because for one thing, for both India and Pakistan, nukes are weapons of peace, not weapons of war. Also, neither have credible missile defence shields anyway. Or highly sophisticated satellite tracking systems.

Nukes are not going to be employed as warfighters by either country, so whether they are mounted on cruise or ballistic missiles is not that important.

In indo-Pak scenario, nuclear role is secondary, Primary role of LACM on both sides would be to obliterate FOB of airforce

In indo-Pak scenario, nuclear role is secondary, Primary role of LACM on both sides would be to obliterate FOB of airforce

That's right. I was answering specifically to his question of whether cruise missiles can carry nukes at all.

Coming to your point, India has an advantage there. Even if our FOBs are destroyed, we have plenty of air bases in the rear and hinterland, and lots of long ranged fighters. Pakistan has neither the depth, nor the required number of long ranged aircrafts to sustain the war if its forward bases are destroyed. That's where India's strategic depth is so useful, as far as the air force is concerned. In the recent past, the IAF has practiced taking off from the eastern-most air bases and doing bombing runs on the western borders with MKIs.

Niether nirbhay nor K-4 missile tested. When they gonna be really tested?

Niether nirbhay nor K-4 missile tested. When they gonna be really tested?
Nirbhay has been delayed by one month due to some problems in guidance system.
K4 will be also tested this year.

K4 will be also tested this year

In september or october they declared that they will test it next month. Same is the case with PDV. They have made the annoucement of testing Numbers of time These guys are simply bunch of Idiots.

We already have developed them for Brahmos.

Before commenting further on your reply, could you tell me what guidance technologies are used in Supersonic and subsonic cruise missiles?

Before commenting further on your reply, could you tell me what guidance technologies are used in Supersonic and subsonic cruise missiles?

I am not an electronics guy,however I know of RLG based INS systems ( We have already developed our own RLG ) developed by India as well as Terrain mapping system developed by DRDO.Also radar seekers developed by Indian comanies like Data Patterns & Astra have been shown in various defence expos.

BrahMos-1%27s+Production+Consortium.jpg

RINS+++GPS.jpg

Last edited:
I am not an electronics guy,however I know of RLG based INS systems ( We have already developed our own RLG ) developed by India as well as Terrain mapping system developed by DRDO.Also radar seekers developed by Indian comanies like Data Patterns & Astra have been shown in various defence expos.

BrahMos-1%27s+Production+Consortium.jpg

DSMAC, TERECOM along with INS is employed in subsonic missiles. Your first test failed due to faulty guidance system. TERECOM and DSMAC would at least takes 3-4 years to mature and deploy in subsonic missiles because you have resources and we hadn't so it took us longer to deploy subsonic CM. Supersonic doesn't employ TERECOM and DSMAC, hence sub sonic missile guidance system is being developed from scratch would definately takes time

DSMAC, TERECOM along with INS is employed in subsonic missiles. Your first test failed due to faulty guidance system. TERECOM and DSMAC would at least takes 3-4 years to mature and deploy in subsonic missiles because you have resources and we hadn't so it took us longer to deploy subsonic CM. Supersonic doesn't employ TERECOM and DSMAC, hence sub sonic missile guidance system is being developed from scratch would definately takes time

Brahmos uses DSMAC .Nirbhay is a loitering missile,so I dont think these would go for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom