What's new

Science & Technology News.

Relax honey! Nothing to get alarmed about. This isn't a physical image of the Earth. It is a map of the Earth's gravitational field which shows it to be shaped not like a sphere but a potato.

The images taken by the GOCE satellite uses a gravity gradiometer to detect fine differences in the Earth's crust and oceans. The instrument consists of six highly sensitive accelerometers that measure gravity in three dimensions.

So, don't press the panic button just yet! The Earth is still round and will remain so till the stars start winking out signalling the end of the Universe!!! :azn:
lol...thanks for clearing the air :-)

:help::help::help:

@thesolar65 @Dem!god @OrionHunter @Pumba @DRAY
did you just see that???

But then why dont the pics clicked from space dont show the same shape of earth???:blink::blink:

For understanding this image, you've to first learn what a Geoid is. The geoid is the shape that the surface of the oceans would take under the influence of Earth's gravitation and rotation alone, in the absence of other influences such as winds and tides. All points on that surface have the same scalar potential—there is no difference in potential energy between any two.(wiki)

Geoid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The colouring schematics have already been explained in the link accompanying that pic.

Besides, structurally also, our Earth isn't a perfectly spherical. It's swollen at the equator and slightly squashed at the poles, although it's not visually verifyable, owing to the relatively miniscule difference.

Strange but True: Earth Is Not Round - Scientific American

For understanding this image, you've to first learn what a Geoid is. The geoid is the shape that the surface of the oceans would take under the influence of Earth's gravitation and rotation alone, in the absence of other influences such as winds and tides. All points on that surface have the same scalar potential—there is no difference in potential energy between any two.(wiki)

Geoid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The colouring schematics have already been explained in the link accompanying that pic.

Besides, structurally also, our Earth isn't a perfectly spherical. It's swollen at the equator and slightly squashed at the poles, although it's not visually verifyable, owing to the relatively miniscule difference.

Strange but True: Earth Is Not Round - Scientific American
I knew earth wasnt a perfect sphere...but then I didnt really bother to open the link on GEOID...call me lazzyyy :ashamed:
But the pic had really shocked me :D

I knew earth wasnt a perfect sphere...but then I didnt really bother to open the link on GEOID...call me lazzyyy :ashamed:
But the pic had really shocked me :D

Neither did I.:cheers: But I had an idea that gravity too isn't constant all over the Earth, and hence deduced that this was some sort of 3d surface of what the Earth might be if gravity were constant on every inch of it's surface.:azn:

Neither did I.:cheers: But I had an idea that gravity too isn't constant all over the Earth, and hence deduced that this was some sort of 3d surface of what the Earth might be if gravity were constant on every inch of it's surface.:azn:
kneel-smiley.gif
kneel-smiley.gif
kneel-smiley.gif
kneel-smiley.gif
kneel-smiley.gif
kneel-smiley.gif
kneel-smiley.gif
kneel-smiley.gif
kneel-smiley.gif

very smart babaji!!!

let me guess you are an engg...are you not?

Strength of Materials!!:fie: was the subject in which I scored the highest in BE.:happy:

Ya forgot you guys have similar subjects.
But do you have any idea about the number of mech enggs on pdf???
almost every engg that i have met on pdf is a mech engg...Dem!god,Ayush,Kurup....i guess Krait also.
Now you too :D

Ya forgot you guys have similar subjects.
But do you have any idea about the number of mech enggs on pdf???
almost every engg that i have met on pdf is a mech engg...Dem!god,Ayush,Kurup....i guess Krait also.
Now you too :D

We're the Biharis of the Engineering world.:P And we mechies love our toys, and hence the infatuation with killer machines. :yay:

:help::help::help:

@thesolar65 @Dem!god @OrionHunter @Pumba @DRAY
did you just see that???

But then why dont the pics clicked from space dont show the same shape of earth???:blink::blink:
its actually a gravity field model....
and it measured high-accuracy gravity gradients and provide a global model of the Earth's gravity field and of the geoid. The geoid (the surface of equal gravitational potential of a hypothetical ocean at rest) serves as the classical reference for all topographical features. The accuracy of its determination is important for surveying and geodesy, and in studies of Earth interior processes, ocean circulation, ice motion and sea-level change.
its nothing to be alarmed of.... previously also the gravity model image was published ....and it looked something like this....:)
The_Earth_s_gravity_field_geoid_as_it_will_be_seen_by_GOCE_node_full_image.jpg

New_GOCE_geoid_node_full_image.jpg

its actually a gravity field model....
and it measured high-accuracy gravity gradients and provide a global model of the Earth's gravity field and of the geoid. The geoid (the surface of equal gravitational potential of a hypothetical ocean at rest) serves as the classical reference for all topographical features. The accuracy of its determination is important for surveying and geodesy, and in studies of Earth interior processes, ocean circulation, ice motion and sea-level change.
its nothing to be alarmed of.... previously also the gravity model image was published ....and it looked something like this....:)
The_Earth_s_gravity_field_geoid_as_it_will_be_seen_by_GOCE_node_full_image.jpg

New_GOCE_geoid_node_full_image.jpg

Yes ...somehow it didnt struck me at all.:(

Back
Top Bottom