What's new

Saudi King Names Son Makkah Governor

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Saudi King Names Son Makkah Governor

RIYADH, Dec 22, (RTRS): Saudi King Abdullah on Sunday appointed his son Prince Mishaal as governor of Makkah Province, one of the most prominent jobs in the country, the latest move in a rolling reshuffle of senior ruling family members over the past two years. He replaces Prince Khaled al-Faisal, who has been made education minister, a move that may revive stalled educational reforms aimed at reducing the influence of religious conservatives, Saudi analysts said.

The appointments were announced in a royal decree carried by state media in the world’s top oil exporter, where moves among senior princes are closely watched for their impact on the country’s opaque succession process. Since 2011, a series of deaths, retirements and promotions mean most top government positions held by princes, plus the three top provincial governor jobs, have switched hands after decades with little change. Analysts have said the changes reflect a desire by King Abdullah, who is thought to be 90, to establish his sons and other allies in key positions for the future. “Appointing a son of the king to one of the major governorates in the kingdom is noteworthy.

He is giving his sons a big chance to have a place in the succession process,” said Khaled al-Dakhil, a Saudi political scientist. He has appointed his son Miteb as minister of the Saudi Arabian National Guard, his son Abdulaziz as deputy foreign minister and his son Turki as deputy Riyadh governor.

Mishaal, the new Makkah governor, was previously governor of Najran province on the border with Yemen. The job of Makkah governor carries big administrative responsibilities because the province has a large population, as well as symbolic importance through its guardianship of Islam’s holiest site and hosting of the annual haj pilgrimage. Unlike in European monarchies, the Saudi succession does not pass directly from father to eldest son, but has moved along a line of brothers born to the kingdom’s founder King Abdulaziz, commonly known as Ibn Saud. Abdullah’s heir is Crown Prince Salman, who is 78. After Salman, most analysts believe only two of Ibn Saud’s living sons, Prince Ahmed and Prince Muqrin might have a chance to become king.

After that, one of Ibn Saud’s hundreds of grandsons must be chosen. Besides his own sons, Abdullah has also promoted nephews to other top jobs, including interior minister, intelligence chief, Eastern Province governor, Riyadh governor and deputy defence minister. By moving Prince Khaled to the Education Ministry, King Abdullah may also be signalling that he intends to revive stalled reforms to the country’s creaking school system. “Khaled al-Faisal was very critical of extremism in our educational system. But fixing education is a hard job that requires years and years,” said Jamal Khashoggi, head of a television news channel owned by billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal.

Significant control over education was given to Islamic conservatives in the 1980s to try to placate them after a militant attack in 1979, but they produced generations of young people with more religious knowledge than practical skills. Saudi Arabian officials often say the biggest long-term challenge facing the world’s top oil exporter is to find real jobs for young people who have proved unable to compete with lower-paid expatriates in the local employment market.

31ZIYzGLXQL.jpg

You should see this :lol:

Scarface. Watched that when I was a teenager. Remember my mother not being happy about it and objecting but my father made a point and my elder siblings promised to "help me through the movie". Can't have been more than 13-14 years old if I recall. Still remember the thrill you got for seeing a movie that was intended for a plus 18 audience.:lol: Or playing a computer/playstation game where you needed to be 18 years old. GTA says hello!

Anyway I like Mishaal so good news.

Scarface. Watched that when I was a teenager. Remember my mother not being happy about it and objecting but my father made a point and my elder siblings promised to "help me through the movie". Can't have been more than 13-14 years old if I recall. Still remember the thrill you got for seeing a movie that was intended for a plus 18 audience.:lol: Or playing a computer/playstation game where you needed to be 18 years old. GTA says hello!

Anyway I like Mishaal so good news.

Would love seeing a remake of it :super:

@Yzd Khalifa , @al-Hasani can anyone of you post a family tree of Saud Family and their current portfolio ..... it will be helpful .....

@Yzd Khalifa , @al-Hasani can anyone of you post a family tree of Saud Family and their current portfolio ..... it will be helpful .....

The family has about 15.000 members. Most not descendants of Muhammad ibn Saud.

Muhammad bin Saud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't think that there exists a family tree composing all 15.000 members or extended families.

Those who play a role governing the country are the descendants (sons) of King Abdulaziz ibn Saud.

Ibn Saud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Either his sons or grandsons.

10mvu9x.png

99% of the family members don't play any role in KSA or its government.

The family has about 15.000 members. Most not descendants of Muhammad ibn Saud.

Muhammad bin Saud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't think that there exists a family tree composing all 15.000 members or extended families.

Those who play a role governing the country are the descendants (sons) of King Abdulaziz ibn Saud.

Ibn Saud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Either his sons or grandsons.

10mvu9x.png

99% of the family members don't play any role in KSA or its government.

thnx to both of you .... but is there any graph or list available which indicates the current portfolio holders ???

I tried to search but not succeed .... thnx again

thnx to both of you .... but is there any graph or list available which indicates the current portfolio holders ???

I tried to search but not succeed .... thnx again

You are welcome. Not sure if I understand your post?

What do you mean by current portfolio holders? Referring to the succession line? Well the succession line goes from eldest son of Ibn Saud to eldest living brother of the previous ruler. But the ruler is chosen by a council. When all the living sons of Ibn Saud die then one of his grandsons have to get elected. We do not know who that will be sometime in the future.

The current heir is Salman bin Abdul-Aziz.

Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no official succession line like the one seen in most monarchies.

You are welcome. Not sure if I understand your post?

What do you mean by current portfolio holders? Referring to the succession line? Well the succession line goes from eldest son of Ibn Saud to eldest living brother of the previous ruler. But the ruler is chosen by a council. When all the living sons of Ibn Saud dies then one of the grandsons have to get elected. We do not know who that will be.

There is no official succession line like the one seen in most monarchies.

i mean a list which can indicate the ministers, governorship or other important post holder in KSA governing sys by the members of Saud family ..... most of us know very little ...... like I know only about Prince Bander bin Sultan and Muqrin bin Abdul Aziz ...... so little help will be appreciated .....

i mean a list which can indicate the ministers, governorship or other important post holder in KSA governing sys by the members of Saud family ..... most of us know very little ...... like I know only about Prince Bander bin Sultan and Muqrin bin Abdul Aziz ...... so little help will be appreciated .....

Not sure if I can find such a list for you. It requires you to make some research on your own. I mean you can almost find every information on the internet today so.

All governors of each province (there are 13 provinces in KSA) are ruled by Emirs of the House of Saud for instances.

You have ministers not from the House of Saud and some from the House of Saud. Same with the important holdings in the country.

You can start reading about the sons of Abdul-Aziz ibn Saud since those are the ones in charge and their prodigy will continue that way if they will still rule KSA in the future.

Makkah governor vows to boost pilgrim services
Prince-Mishaal3.jpg

JEDDAH: P.K. ABDUL GHAFOUR | ARAB NEWS STAFF

Published — Thursday 26 December 2013

Last update 26 December 2013 6:59 pm

Saudi academics and businessmen have welcomed the appointment of Prince Mishaal bin Abdullah as the new Makkah governor and urged him to follow in the footsteps of his predecessor Prince Khaled Al-Faisal by continuing to expand and upgrade the holy city.
This comes as Prince Mishaal issued his first statement after his appointment. “I’m proud to serve this great country … I consider it a great honor to take on this responsibility of serving the Grand Mosque and pilgrims,” he said.
He thanked Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah and Crown Prince Salman for showing confidence in him and asked Allah Almighty to help him carry out his duties.
“I’m looking forward to working with the people of Makkah. I will dedicate myself to implementing the king’s policies and plans for the development of the holy city, expand facilities and improve services for pilgrims,” the prince said, while praising Prince Khaled for his work in the city.
Mohammed Badahdah, assistant secretary general of the World Assembly of Muslim Youth, said Prince Mishaal had a great responsibility because he was tasked with providing services for Muslims from all over the world.
“Makkah is not like other regions of the Kingdom. It has the Grand Mosque and the holy places of Mina, Arafat and Muzdalifah that are highly valued by Muslims all over the world,” he told Arab News. “We expect the new governor to improve Haj and pilgrim services,” he said.
Badahdah called on the governor to set up special panels of highly qualified people in all areas to advise him. “These panels should convey to the governor what the common people are looking for and what areas need development.”
Saad Al-Qurashi, president of the Haj and Umrah Committee at the Makkah Chamber of Commerce and Industry, said Prince Mishaal has many important projects to handle including the expansion of the Grand Mosque and holy sites, the development of underdeveloped residential districts, and the expansion of the Mashair Railway. He disclosed plans to establish an exhibition center along the Makkah-Jeddah Highway to showcase products made in Makkah.
Hassan Al-Ahdal, secretary general of the International Media Organization based in Makkah, expressed hope that the young and energetic governor would continue Prince Khaled’s efforts to modernize the city, and realize the hopes and aspirations of all Muslims. “I also wish that the new governor implements all the ongoing projects in Makkah and the holy sites as quickly as possible to improve services.”
Mansour Aburayash, chairman of the real estate committee at the Makkah chamber, called on Prince Mishaal to remove obstacles facing investors in the city. “We have to prepare a roadmap to welcome the increasing number of pilgrims, especially after the completion of the Haram expansion.”
He said the city should provide investors with statistics on the yearly growth in pilgrim numbers, so that they could invest with confidence in hotels and other real estate projects. He said investors suffered big losses this year because of the 20 percent cut in the number of foreign Haj pilgrims. He disclosed plans to establish 3,000 new hotels in Sharashif and Dahlat Rushd after demolishing 12,000 old buildings in the area.

Makkah governor vows to boost pilgrim services | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

What is this King Queen thing in 21st century? lame thing. Another Arab spring coming up soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom