What's new

Sania looses in the first round

What_tha

BANNED
Reaction score
Sania Mirza made another early exit from Grand Slam singles action as she fell to 22-year old German Angelique Kerber in straight sets 6-4, 6-1 in just 62 minutes.

India's first female tennis superstar has had a couple of turbulent years on tour due to a recurring wrist injury, and saw her ranking slide to 111 coming into Wimbledon. Mirza, who has failed to make it past the second round on any of her past five visits to SW-19, played an all too familiar error prone match, gifting her opponent 34 free points shockingly more than half the number of points that Kerber won. Mirza also produced 27 winners to go with those unforced errors, but the problem with such a high risk approach is that more often than not the errors come at just the wrong time.

The women traded breaks early in the first set, before games went on serve until the 10th game when Mirza was put under pressure as she served to stay in the first set. An inability to find her first serve, and a galaxy of poor errors cost her the game and with it the set 6-4.

Her first serve continued to fail Sania in the second set while Kerber at the other end tightened her game, cutting back on her own unforced errors waiting for Sania to self destruct. Sania did earn a couple of breakpoints in the second set, but failed to make the most of them, while the German was clinical in taking her opportunities, picking up a double break en route to what was ultimately an easy win.

Sania opens her ladies doubles campaign later in the week, she has a new partner in young Dane Caroline Wozniacki, the current world no.4 in women's singles. Wozniacki though is not a very accomplished doubles player, having made 6 first round exits in her 11 Grand Slam appearances, and never having gone past the 3rd round.

Three Indians are in action tomorrow as the men's doubles event gets underway. Sadly, two come up against each other as qualifiers Somdev Devvarman and Treat Conrad Huey of the Philippines take on the experienced Indo-Pak pairing of Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi. That match will not start before 5:00pm local time or 9:30pm in India.

The third Indian is 30-year old veteran Harsh Mankad, who will make his Wimbledon debut tomorrow alongside big serving Serbian Ilija Bozoljac. Bozoljac incidentally won his singles opener today against Nicolas Massu, and will face 6-time champion Roger Federer in the second round!

Mankad and Bozoljac take on the all-Argentine pairing of Juan Ignacio Chela & Eduardo Schwank, and despite their lower rankings might actually go into that match as slight favourites because of their greater comfort level on grass, coupled with their extra practice having come through the qualifiers. They play on Court 15, and are likely to get underway between 1:30 and 2:30pm (local time)

Your Bhabhi ji is out, wonder Shoaib is responsible? because she earlier used to qualify to the 2nd round atleast.

@Indians: Stop laughing at our Bhabi!!!!!!!!! :angry:
otherwise i will kill you...

:partay::partay:

sania-mirza-73.jpg

I need more matches: Sania Mirza

LONDON: Sania Mirza-Malik's 4-6, 1-6 first round exit at Wimbledon underlined the fact that the road to redemption could be a long haul for the India No.1.

While the 111th-ranked 23 year-old looked to be in good physical shape, hitting the ball hard and moving well, she was well short of the shore when it came to match-fitness. The 55th-ranked German Angelique Kerber used that to her advantage to power home in a little over an hour late on Monday.

"I need more matches," Sania acknowledged later. "No matter how much you practice, it is the wins under your belt, the recent ones at that, that give you confidence for the big stage. I was rusty on the big points and lacked the confidence to go for broke."

One such game was the long-drawn ninth game of the first set, when Sania had two chances to break the Kerber serve with the scores levelled at four-all. Both times she faltered with her shot selection from the back of the court. "The toughest part about getting back to competition is getting match trim," Sania explained. "It's a slow process."

I need more matches: Sania Mirza - Top stories - Wimbledon - 2010 - Events & Tournaments - Sports - The Times of India

so then u also need to b concerned more about many more sports in india which is even more pathetic state:agree:
Those sports must not be recognized at an international stage, Football is where we need to improve massively ,other wise we are good at major sports

I hope u r not talking about baseball, basketball etc.

Those sports must not be recognized at an international stage, Football is where we need to improve massively ,other wise we are good at major sports

I hope u r not talking about baseball, basketball etc.

most of the sports which r played in olympics,includes football,basketball,track and field events,everything

though we have started to show some improvement in shooting and boxing but still we lag far behind other nations

well their r also sports were indian excel but most of them r professional sports and dont hold much relevance in case of a world meet

Sania bhabhi lost :cry:

bad :angry:

what a strange incident where many indians cursing her despite being her an indian and Pakistanis praying for her :lol:

Back
Top Bottom