What's new

Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army

selvan33

Reaction score
Country
India
Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army

images

Indian Army is all set to upgrade the capability of its 1,900-odd infantry combat vehicles (ICVs) to enable its troopers to thrust into enemy territory without coming under hostile fire. The upgrade is estimated to cost `8,000 crore.

According to Army officers, the entire fleet of the Russian-origin ICVs, also called as BMPs, would be modernised under the programme. “In the ICV fleet, the vehicle’s armament and firepower capability are being upgraded with the latest generation of fire control system, twin missile launchers and commander’s thermal imaging panoramic sights,” the officers said.

“These ICVs will also be equipped with the latest generation anti-tank guided missile and automatic grenade launchers,” they added. The proposal is to upgrade the armament of the BMP-2 and BMP-2K fleet to BMP-2M capabilities and provide new power pack for the entire fleet. The new power pack with 380 horsepower capability would enhance the ICVs’ cross-country mobility, floatation and gradient negotiating capability, apart from mounting more lethal weapon systems on board.

“All of this will make the ICVs robust killer machines,” the officers said. The BMP-2 and BMP-2K, which run on Russian-origin UTD-20 engines, are the main ICVs of the Army’s Mechanised Infantry regiments. The ICVs are used for breaching enemy defences and for troopers to gain entry into enemy territory with protection.
Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army | idrw.org

Upgrades are always good, but a decision of the FICV would be more interesting.

Dude you mean future ICV. I read somewhere that russia offered BMP 4 for indigineous production. Any news regarding that.

The best part of the deal is the KORNET atgm ,this missile can kill any tank in chinese or pak service with ease.

Dude you mean future ICV. I read somewhere that russia offered BMP 4 for indigineous production. Any news regarding that.

BMP-3 if I'm not wrong, but that was reported mainly because they found an Indian privat partner for the production here, not sure of they really offered it in FICV or not, might depend on the IA requirements.

BMP-3 if I'm not wrong, but that was reported mainly because they found an Indian privat partner for the production here, not sure of they really offered it in FICV or not, might depend on the IA requirements.
IIRC the FICV is only between TATA and Mahindra. The Russian offer is separate and was a govt-govt offering as was the US offer for Strykers- the IA is unlikely to take either of these nations up on their offers as it is going to invest billions in the FICV project later this decade.

Upgrades are always good, but a decision of the FICV would be more interesting.
AFAIK the FICV is only meant to enter service in 2018-20 so don't expect a decision for atleast another 2-3 years.

Guys anyone got an update on the artillery tenders.Especially looking for info on the trajan system and who are its competitors.Singapore fh-2000?
Also what are the 3 competitors for the sp arty tender where 3 indian vendors are competing.
I know bharat forge kalyani has teamed up with elbit to field the RASCAL SP artillery system.Who are the other 2.

cpt popeye,abingdongboy,indianarmy,sancho?

I wonder which BMP-2M they are talking about.The KBP BMP-2M Berezhok which has modular Berezhok turret with 2+2 Launchers for the Kornet missile or the Kurganmashzavod BMP-2M.

KBP BMP-2M Berezhok

bmp-2m_w_kornet_001_of_123.jpg

Kurganmashzavod BMP-2M

1355197247_eenylf-2qz1.jpg

Sirf Plan banate rahiyo Anthony saab.. Kuch karna nahin... C**tiyam sulphate...

IIRC the FICV is only between TATA and Mahindra. The Russian offer is separate and was a govt-govt offering as was the US offer for Strykers- the IA is unlikely to take either of these nations up on their offers as it is going to invest billions in the FICV project later this decade.

Mahindra is virtually out of the FICV, after the government axed their JV with Rafael (I still didn't get why???:frown:) and the end of the JV with BAE.
I think L&T has an offer with Italian partners which looked promissing and we know that Ashok Leyland has a jv with German KMW, which could offer Boxer and Puma IFVs. The BMP-3 (which now is offered as a stop gap before FICV), the Styker, or the Rosomak Patria IFVs could also be part of the competition, but not necessarily with an Indian partner.

Guys anyone got an update on the artillery tenders.Especially looking for info on the trajan system and who are its competitors.Singapore fh-2000?
Also what are the 3 competitors for the sp arty tender where 3 indian vendors are competing.
I know bharat forge kalyani has teamed up with elbit to field the RASCAL SP artillery system.Who are the other 2.

cpt popeye,abingdongboy,indianarmy,sancho?

Not sure, all the howitzer competitions are confusing, but OFB should participate with their new howitzer, Bharat Forge & Elta with the Athos:

Bharat Forge and Elbit Systems to Establish a JVC for Artillery Systems in India - Defense Update - Military Technology & Defense News

http://www.bharatforge.com/press/Bharat_Forge_Elbit_JVC.pdf

I wonder which BMP-2M they are talking about.

Russia offers BMP-3 Infantry Combat Vehicles (ICV) to India

Russia offers BMP-3 Infantry Combat Vehicles (ICV) to India - Defense Update - Military Technology & Defense News

More infos:

BMP-3 Infantry Fighting Vehicle | Military-Today.com

Back
Top Bottom