What's new

Royal Enfield...A full circle indeed!

I don't know if we have an aspiring businessman on PDF but if you can export this to Pakistan somehow, prepare to be very rich in a very short while.
the people who make it can export it themselves but will need a partner in pakistan... also need to pay heavy import duty...
if bajaj and tvs (who make smaller and lighter motorcycle) did not enter pakistan yet, it will be foolish for eicher to do.

the people who make it can export it themselves but will need a partner in pakistan... also need to pay heavy import duty...
if bajaj and tvs (who make smaller and lighter motorcycle) did not enter pakistan yet, it will be foolish for eicher to do.

I think the reason for Bajaj, TVS and Hero not entering Pakistan is due to:

1. The actual problem of entering Pakistan as an Indian company.
2. The demand for mass commute bikes over 70cc has remained very limited and only recently have bikes with greater engine displacement, i.e 125 and 150cc started becoming a more common means of transportation.

The real charm for the Royal Enfield lies in the fact that it is not in demand as a mass commute vehicle but rather as a heavy cruiser for bike enthusiasts and aficionados, Harleys and BMWs dominate that segment in Pakistan but are insanely expensive and the Bullet has massive potential to shake up the market.

I don't know if we have an aspiring businessman on PDF but if you can export this to Pakistan somehow, prepare to be very rich in a very short while.

I am such a guy..... now are you giving me the "MFN Status" ??? :D

I am such a guy..... now are you giving me the "MFN Status" ??? :D

Sir if you start exporting these bikes to Pakistan you can have Best Economic Buddies for Life or any other status you want! BTW there's been word going around that TATA Sky is contesting for a Pakistani DTH license through a front company, they already have a strong network through local traders who deal in smuggled receivers and set-top boxes. If Tata can take initiative, I guess maybe someday RE might think about it too.

I think the reason for Bajaj, TVS and Hero not entering Pakistan is due to:

1. The actual problem of entering Pakistan as an Indian company.
2. The demand for mass commute bikes over 70cc has remained very limited and only recently have bikes with greater engine displacement, i.e 125 and 150cc started becoming a more common means of transportation.

The real charm for the Royal Enfield lies in the fact that it is not in demand as a mass commute vehicle but rather as a heavy cruiser for bike enthusiasts and aficionados, Harleys and BMWs dominate that segment in Pakistan but are insanely expensive and the Bullet has massive potential to shake up the market.
1. same problem will be faced by eicher too...
2. we dont know the market size of pakistan for cruisers
Eicher does not have the political influence of bajaj, so I think they should wait for big co to push for export and enter the market first. They need not be in hurry, the captive market will keep them busy, they got waiting period to fulfill domestic demand. I think they are trying to build a brand in the west, and this is as good a time as any.

1. same problem will be faced by eicher too...
2. we dont know the market size of pakistan for cruisers
Eicher does not have the political influence of bajaj, so I think they should wait for big co to push for export and enter the market first. They need not be in hurry, the captive market will keep them busy, they got waiting period to fulfill domestic demand. I think they are trying to build a brand in the west, and this is as good a time as any.

Royal Enfield can easily pass by because of its British roots so I feel that it might actually be easier for it to break the ice.
The market in Pakistan for cruisers is definitely significant, with more people moving on to bikes with greater engine displacement, this trend is only looking to grow.
Indeed, I hear that there is a 9 month waiting period on a new RE these days in India, would definitely suggest that the local market is far from lagging.
I think the RE can really make a dent in the global market as well, especially with these newer models.

Royal Enfield can easily pass by because of its British roots so I feel that it might actually be easier for it to break the ice.
The market in Pakistan for cruisers is definitely significant, with more people moving on to bikes with greater engine displacement, this trend is only looking to grow.
Indeed, I hear that there is a 9 month waiting period on a new RE these days in India, would definitely suggest that the local market is far from lagging.
I think the RE can really make a dent in the global market as well, especially with these newer models.

Nostalgia is good, but the Enfield is not all that great to ride, given modern alternatives, Sir.

Nostalgia is good, but the Enfield is not all that great to ride, given modern alternatives, Sir.

Its the price that's the real issue. At the moment, the cheapest cruiser selling in Pakistan is the Suzuki Intruder selling for a whopping 1.7 Million Pak Rupees! The BMWs and Harleys that are in vogue with most riders can fetch over three times that price!

Its the price that's the real issue. At the moment, the cheapest cruiser selling in Pakistan is the Suzuki Intruder selling for a whopping 1.7 Million Pak Rupees! The BMWs and Harleys that are in vogue with most riders can fetch over three times that price!

Actually, Sir, the price is not the issue, it is the high Pakistani taxes that raise the on-the-road price to obscene levels.

Sir if you start exporting these bikes to Pakistan you can have Best Economic Buddies for Life or any other status you want! BTW there's been word going around that TATA Sky is contesting for a Pakistani DTH license through a front company, they already have a strong network through local traders who deal in smuggled receivers and set-top boxes. If Tata can take initiative, I guess maybe someday RE might think about it too.

You know @Icarus; in the mid-90s when I came frequently to your country, I checked on the prices of Vespas in Karachi. They were then 60-70% more than prices in India. Ditto for Mehrans, Swifts and Potohars and so on. I found that quite astounding. All that needed to be done was to drive them across the border at Wagah (past the strutting soldiers :D ) and A Voila! the good folks in Karachi would have some affordable "wheels". Mind you, India then had 100cc Yamaha, Suzukis and Kawasakis as modern bikes! Now the two-wheeler market in India has gone sky-high in terms of the choice available (same for 4-wheelers too). So why must you have to settle for 70cc or 100cc "phatphatiyas" and their equivalent in cars?

Actually, Sir, the price is not the issue, it is the high Pakistani taxes that raise the on-the-road price to obscene levels.

You know @Icarus; in the mid-90s when I came frequently to your country, I checked on the prices of Vespas in Karachi. They were then 60-70% more than prices in India. Ditto for Mehrans, Swifts and Potohars and so on. I found that quite astounding. All that needed to be done was to drive them across the border at Wagah (past the strutting soldiers :D ) and A Voila! the good folks in Karachi would have some affordable "wheels". Mind you, India then had 100cc Yamaha, Suzukis and Kawasakis as modern bikes! Now the two-wheeler market in India has gone sky-high in terms of the choice available (same for 4-wheelers too). So why must you have to settle for 70cc or 100cc "phatphatiyas" and their equivalent in cars?

Fully agreed, the present auto policy is a joke as it is. I hear that they have a new policy on the cards for the last three yeras but its being held back by the Japanese Auto Companies which have a monopolistic stranglehold on the market. They demand that they be granted equal footing with new entrants into the market and reimbursed the difference that they had to invest which would effectively mean killing off the new entrants before they can settle in. This is the reason why Chevrolet, Proton, Kia and Hyundai have not been able to stay in the market.

70 cc is too low for a bike these days.

I ride a KTM RC 200 and its good :D fast enough for me.

Bullet is not my type :P

70 cc is too low for a bike these days.

I ride a KTM RC 200 and its good :D fast enough for me.

Bullet is not my type :P

I've been riding a Suzuki 150, as of now it is one of the most popular touring bikes in Pakistan.

Like this:
suzuki-gs-150-2015-6677650.jpg

Back
Top Bottom