What's new

Provide suggestions: Senior Indian members only!

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
@KRAIT and others have raised an issue on Indian topics that should be allowed/not allowed.

Please post your views here on what needs to be allowed and what not. As of now, we want to allow all topics of Indian/South Asian affairs unless it has to do with any of the topics below.

-rape-
-toilets-
-50 cent chinese army-
-failed state-
-dark skin-
-hindus-
-urine-
-caste system
-poor conditions in india
-pak india genealogy debates
-indian economy-
-religious - quran/hadiths
-chinese economy-
-religious proselytizing-
-cartoon comic face or a facepalm picture-
-immature uae vs iran (we will obliterate the other side type) topics-
-local indian/china news - nothing to do with world affairs

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/announcements/116002-topics-banned-pdf.html#ixzz2JWaNVWrv

@SpArK @Roybot

Last edited:
I think topics related to the economies of countries must be allowed which according to the list above is dis-allowed.

I agree with the above list of banned topics. But I've also noticed these topics are routinely posted here. These should be yanked off the forum immediately including all posts related to them. Unfortunately, this is not happening. For example, there were seven full threads related to rape recently though the topic is banned.

It's no point issuing instructions when they are not being complied with. I think the mods need to look into this and be more proactive and strict.

I don't think a cartoon/face-palm is derogatory unless it crosses limits which the mods can decide and the post deleted. A cartoon or face-palm is worth a thousand words! So I don't think these should be disallowed. Even respectable forums on the internet don't object to this.

Another thing I noticed is that some mods don't like even light sarcasm written in good faith and fun. The poster is even given a warning or the post deleted. I think a little humor should be acceptable in an otherwise staid thread as long the sarcasm doesn't amount to impinging upon the sentiments of a poster.

Thanks for the hearing! :D

For a start there are subjects listed in Post No1 which have nothing to do with India / South Asia at all. For instance UAE Vs Iran, 50 perCent Chinese Army & so on hence need to be put aside .

Next is the ban restricted to a "Topic" or even to a reference to these banned words / subjects in posts on other topics as well ?

Lastly, I do not feel there should not be a ban on thought or expression. Is there anything to hide ? If things are wrong in India - let them be discussed. Indians surely are capable of accepting things which are obviously wrong and offering mature & cogent answers. Its the ' below the belt " type posts that incite anger & retaliation by looking for similar examples form the ' other side". This does not help.

Its only the derogatory manner of discussion / references to subjects listed in Post 1 above that need to be curtailed. This is best done by effective moderation which by & large does happen.

Maturity cannot be enforced - it has to happen & comes with time spent on the forum and those do not behave need harsh moderation .

However, if the census is to have a list of subjects that are forbidden - the existing list is good to go.

Just enforce the rules regarding present Banned Topics. We don't want any addition.

Indian Local News which has nothing to do with Pakistan- Beard of Indian Muslim, Amitabh Bachan in Court, Shahrukh Khan's interview (first threads where there was not related to Pakistan).

Allow Indian Social Issue discussion as long as there is effective Moderation.

Abusive Contents and Comments - Calling India Rapist country, Indians are saffron terrorists, Cartoon of Gang rape of Mother India, personal abuses.

Not allowing Indians to open these threads as many false flagger may do it and gives excuse to other Pakistani posters.

No need of Indian Mod. Just make one Pakistani Mod responsible to take Indian Mod job so that Indians can approach one single MOD rather than asking for everyone. Or make any other International Mod responsible.

As long as there is effective enforcement of present rules and regulations, we can have same old quality of PDF.

I think the banning of topics is because these topics are vulnerable to trolling and we have limited mods to to control it. so make this topic accessible to " senior members " only ( all senior members not to a few think tanks and elites only ) Among the seniors members there will be people who reached senior statues with the help of number of troll posts they make, modes should be able to control them since their numbers are less.if that's also difficult then give voting rights to think tanks and elite members(assuming they will use it with out bias) to give negative and positive marks to "
senior members " posts. once negative marks reach a certain threshold " posting rights of that members on selected topics " should be suspended for a time period, or until mods decide, or until he earn reputation marks again.

IS ANY OF THIS IDEAS ARE POSSIBLE ? @WebMaster @mods

Last edited by a moderator:
@WebMaster

I personally don't want any of the topics banned, as it gives us Indians a chance to present our point of view and the ground reality( which in many case is quite different from what is being purported). And what better platform than PDF!

However few steps can be taken (if possible logistically).

-- Make sure the news involving any of the aforementioned topics are taken from reliable sources. No stupid and biased blogs and weblinks. I understand this can be hard to monitor, but make it an infraction worthy offence and people will fall in line eventually.

-- Merge/Delete the multiple threads on the same event/topic, most of which are done on purpose to incite (troll) the "enemies"", it gets very tedious and frustrating replying to each one of them.

-- Clamp down on the pointless one liners, flame baits, and unnecessary use of "you hindus" "you muslims". Sometimes I spend 15-20 minutes typing up a post, and in reply all I get is a corny "haha typical Hindu response". Again its very frustrating and discouraging, makes people wonder if its worth wasting our time.

tl;dr: Credible source, delete/merge multiple threads, clamp down on flamebaits and worthless one liners.

Please take care of trolls like Icewolf who bring all these banned topics in thread discussion and spoil it.

Constructive discussion on all these topics can be done, but using these for trolling or point scoring should be avoided.

Any topic can be discussed we just need to make sure that only the right and mature people are around the table.

Hypocrisy is the issue and the amount of senior members using the word hindu bania in recent weeks is uncalled for.

It's okay to talk about rape, it is a social evil and willing to discuss it.. So is terrorism in name of any religion.. But we are getting frustrated only when the same thing is discussed again and again and threads opened again and again on the same thing to score petty points.

Even some elite members are indulge in name callings like rapistan and many other things.

You have to know that we love our country same as you love your country. We are willing to discuss any issues apart from the threads opened for the purpose of trolling only.

As Roybot mentioned, credible link should be a must when some one state something.. When we start to counter it, members including some Jr.TT to TT will post links of low level blogs and links from Khalistan newsletter to Christian one or state that they have friends or family members from India told them like that. These kind of things will affect the credibility of this forum and also the posisation they are holding.

As for mods, I too believe that an Indian mod is necessary but we need a exclusive moderator to control the trollings in threads.
There is a valid complaint here about Mods sometimes close their eyes on trolling happens in Indian section.

The list of topics closed to discussion is all right, except that it isn't quite clear why discussion on the economies should be banned, whether it is the Chinese economy or the Indian.

Regarding the quality of discussion, perhaps it is not an Indian acting as moderator that we need. Just one of the moderators to be assigned this difficult task, to stay assigned, and to act firmly though with sympathy and understanding. Of course, it is a difficult crown of thorns to be assigned, and perhaps the incumbency should be rotated periodically.

By and large, this is such a self-correcting forum that it may be best not to tinker too much. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Complaints against individual moderators should not influence policy; they need only be taken by the Webmaster on a case by case basis.

My thruppence.

@WebMaster: The crop of current mods is pretty good, Lets try and get the forums more defence oriented... Rest, depending on the trends prevailing in the media, let the mods make thier informed opinion on the threads that bring any meaningful discourse.... Dirt slinging threads need to go... Relevent thread no matter how offensive it may be to certain groups, if bring any meaningful discourse need to stay....

The suggestions are from Indians hence i wont comment on that but if that is the criteria then Pakistani posters should also be taken into consideration that what we want to allow to be posted on PDF about Pakistani issues.

This is strange that Indians want to hide truth and shy away from it but willingly troll threads about Pakistani issues and derail it even if Pakistanis are putting serious opinion about our issues for solution

I'm not really supportive of topics being banned in general, however if Mods & Admins feel some topics attracts too much trouble & encourages trolling, then I believe such subjects should be posted selectively depending on its relevance.
"Rape" is a banned/proposed banned topic, yet I fail to understand how a discussion on the recent case in Delhi could not have been held when it was probably among the few instances when the country(India) & the world was riveted on it. Does that encourage trolling? Sure, but the problem is with the trolls not with the topic. The same with "Hindus", "caste system", "pak-india genealogy" debates, Indian economy, religious etc. All valid subjects depending on the specific topic/part thereof being discussed.Not an easily enforceable idea (to allow selective posting) but it is better to not be pedantic about such bans.

Back
Top Bottom