What's new

Prahaar-new short-range tactical missile

Prahaar has guidance system. Note Dr. Saraswat taking it can replace number of unguided MBRLs. I hope its IR, spin off Nag's seeker.

Its like US ATACMS which also has 150 km range.

Ok my next question may be funny

but I want to ask that can these Prahar rockets be used on naval ships as land attack MBRL

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok my next question may be funny

but I want to ask that can these Prahar rockets be used on naval ships as land attack MBRL

Simple answer : yes.

Remember what the Navy did in 1971. They use the coastal defence missiles in an offensive role by towing the ships to Karachi and causing large scale paranoia. The Navy must be rubbing its hands in anticipation of getting a few once IA is satisfied.

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed a new tactical short-range missile which has greater accuracy than the unguided missiles currently being used by the Indian Army.

Called Prahar, the missile has a range of 150 km. Six missiles can be loaded on to a single launcher, making it more cost-effective than others, said V.K. Saraswat, defence department secretary and DRDO director-general.
The Prahar system can tackle multiple targets and allows a mix of different kinds of missiles to be used from a single launcher. The missile will be tested for the first time at the end July, Mr Saraswat said.
Prahar will fill the gap between the Pinaka and the Russian-made Smerch, and the larger missiles.
The Pinaka, also produced by the DRDO, is a multiple-rocket launcher system. The missile has a maximum range of 40 km, and the system, mounted on a truck, can fire 12 rockets in 44 seconds. Smerch has a range of 90 km.
Being multi-directional and auto loading in nature, Prahar will be extremely useful in emergency situations. Its launch time is estimated to be two to three minutes and no preparation is required. Also, the technology being used on the Prahar is indigenously available and under manufacture in India. This helps in making Prahar cost effective, said Mr Saraswat.
The Prahar will come on a platform with excellent mobility, Mr Saraswat said. The DRDO is in talks with the Indian Army for the introduction for the missile. He said the Prahas has potential for use by the Indian Air Force as well.

New short-range missile test July-end | Deccan Chronicle

Thread Re-Opened......Any member wish to violate the rules....he/she is more then welcomed......spare us some quality time... would you!!

I will comment after the missile successfully tested. :chilli::taz:

Be optive mistic positive no value your reply at that time.

well have some sweet now as forsuccess test by india drdo scientists(heroes).

sirji on other thread the nozzle design of model and real are different of pakfa. why rus shited round nozzle instead real design rectagle. benifit is also that temperature reduced said by gamitji(llike amitji).

Simple answer : yes.

Remember what the Navy did in 1971. They use the coastal defence missiles in an offensive role by towing the ships to Karachi and causing large scale paranoia. The Navy must be rubbing its hands in anticipation of getting a few once IA is satisfied.
I doubt IN will use it on their ships. Simply because IN don't need shorter range offensive missiles as longer range are available which were not in 1971. Warships don't want to go close to mainland. The farther they are the safer they are. So they need longer range offensive missile. We already have Brahmos for that purpose. IN needs much longer range missiles. As far as defensive role is considered, Barak 2 is coming but Prahar has longer range and can be used here but for that purpose a air defence version of this missile is necessary.

In short I don't think its meant for IN and i doubt even IN will show interest in this...

why? because prithvi is liquid fueled? its our only missile which is100% operational.

It makes me sometime wonder how people get thier facts from?

Who said Prithvi is the only 100% operational missile?
They put Agni I,II and III into operational command. does this not mean they are not 100% operational? A-III has been into serial production for a while. Now Shourya was in LSP stage and will go into serial production after induction.

This is how it works in DRDO case: Build first missile and test.IF sucess put it into LSP(limited series production){ if test fails, ananlyse and modify and test again.}Go for further tests to get the system matured. Once satisfied and inducted, put the system into series production. Building the number of systems depends on SFC and other forces.

If Prahar is an spin off of AAD missile then we can assume that the SAM version "ASHWIN" will have a range of 150+ km and Supersonic (Mach 4.5)...The surface - surface version may have subsonic speed due to the heavier warhead...If u carefully look at Prahar pics available in Google...in one of them an navy officer is keenly observing the missile system...so one might speculate this missile may also have navy version (ship Launched)....if are able to make the air launched then it will be our complete next generation missile....

Next Generation Missiles for replacements

Prahar - Prithvi 1, 2 , 3

Shourya - Agni 1

Agni 2 Prime - Agni 2

Agni 3 MIRV - Agni 3

K-4 (if it really exists, and
DRDO allows it avoiding the
Tur War between Young Scientist
who have developed K-15,
under the guidance of Navy
in the interest of the nation) -AGNI 3 SL

Surya ICBM
(If drdo is not competent then
ISRO in the nations interest) - (To replace the absolute Agni 5, if India
want to have a credible deterrent)

BhraMos 2 (All Variants) - BhraMos 1

Nirbhay ( In development)- ????

Air delivered Munitions (In development)- ????

ASHWIN - AKASH SAM

ASTRA 2 - ASTRA 1

NAG and Helina (MM seeker) - NAG and Helina IIR Seeker

Maitri SAM - Trishul SAM

ASTRA 1 or 2 converted into (Ground Launched AIR to AIR Missile)

If Prahar is an spin off of AAD missile then we can assume that the SAM version "ASHWIN" will have a range of 150+ km and Supersonic (Mach 4.5)...
There is no indication of that. We will know more about Prahar as the test date comes close. But there is a chance that AAD and ASHWIN might be based on this.

.If u carefully look at Prahar pics available in Google...in one of them an navy officer is keenly observing the missile system...so one might speculate this missile may also have navy version (ship Launched)
I just wanna ask you if IN wants this then in which role it would be used ? (Nobody knows that AAD and ASHWIN has something to do with this missile). According to me IN won't go for this missile atleast in offensive role but for defensive purposes i think when Ashwin is already planned then their is no need to go for one more missile.

if are able to make the air launched then it will be our complete next generation missile....
I doubt there will be any air launched version. Its because as you have seen the pics, it is too huge to be used for air launched version, if you compare its size to Astra missile which will have a range of 120km then you can easily understand that its too huge to be a BVR missile.

It makes me sometime wonder how people get thier facts from?

Who said Prithvi is the only 100% operational missile?
They put Agni I,II and III into operational command. does this not mean they are not 100% operational? A-III has been into serial production for a while. Now Shourya was in LSP stage and will go into serial production after induction.

This is how it works in DRDO case: Build first missile and test.IF sucess put it into LSP(limited series production){ if test fails, ananlyse and modify and test again.}Go for further tests to get the system matured. Once satisfied and inducted, put the system into series production. Building the number of systems depends on SFC and other forces.

how many Indian missiles are 100% operational? can you give me credible sources? that info may prove useful.thanks

There is no indication of that. We will know more about Prahar as the test date comes close. But there is a chance that AAD and ASHWIN might be based on this.

Its just speculation and it is being said in many other forums.....how can AAD and Ashwim be based on prahar...????i think its the other way round...

[/QUOTE]I just wanna ask you if IN wants this then in which role it would be used ? (Nobody knows that AAD and ASHWIN has something to do with this missile). According to me IN won't go for this missile atleast in offensive role but for defensive purposes i think when Ashwin is already planned then their is no need to go for one more missile.[/QUOTE]

it can be used as Ship to surface where as AshWin is SURFACE TO AIR....

[/QUOTE]I doubt there will be any air launched version. Its because as you have seen the pics, it is too huge to be used for air launched version, if you compare its size to Astra missile which will have a range of 120km then you can easily understand that its too huge to be a BVR missile.[/QUOTE]

When we have Brahmos Air launched version it will not be difficult or that heavy to be converted into air launched. I think u r confused with prahar missile.....Prahar missile is Surface to surface which can be converted in to SHIP to surface and Air to surface...i think u r assuming it as air to air and surface to air..??? but its other way round....

Back
Top Bottom