What's new

Positive vibes Pakistan

Samina Baig from Gilgit Baltistan conquered Mount Everest

gVs31eE.jpg

Miss.Sameena Baig, First Pakistani woman mountaineer with her brother Mr. Mirza Ali hailing from Shimshal Gojal successfully climbed the world’s highest mountain “ MOUNT EVEREST.

This is a historic mountain climbing Expedition to Mt. Everes 2013 with the them of GENDER EQUALITY, in Pakistan`s adventure history,On the occasion of the 60th anniversary of Mt.Everest, since its first ascent back in 1953, where hundreds of renowned mountaineers around the world celebrating this mega event of Mt.Everest, two Pakistani brother & sister carrying the green national flag to be part of this grand event. Samina Baig and Mirza Ali from Shimshal village located at the up part of Hunza valley of Gilgit- Baltistan went to represent our beloved country Pakistan in this event. Sameena Baig & Mirza Ali the famous young Pakistani climber achieved this milestone by scaling the world’s highest mountain. On May 19,2013 at 7:40 AM local time. Sameena Baig become the first woman mountaineer, while Mirza Ali the third and youngest Pakistani male to have the honor of raising national green flag on the top of the world’s highest point. The expedition starts from 1st April 2013 until 3rd June 2013. The team has attempted the mountain via the south face from Nepalese side. The expedition has booked with famous M/s Seven Summit a best Nepali tour operator. The expedition is privately sponsored by Mirza & Samina’s Kiwi friends & younggrasshopper.

Samina Baig from Gilgit Baltistan conquered Mount Everest | Gilgit Baltistan

Pak tech innovator impresses Obama

qErNono.jpg

KARACHI: A recent tweet by US President Barak Obama mentions Pakistani tech innovator Faizan Buzdar as a perfect example of why immigration reform was required in the country.

The US president attached a link to a video with his tweet in which Faizan Buzdar speaks of his experiences in starting a tech company in the United States. Buzdar founded Convo.com which is a cloud based digital collaboration workspace that enables businesses and their globally distributed teams to work faster.

In the video, Buzdar mentions how it took him over a year to set up the business which is “light years for a start up.” He said America needed immigration reform or it risked losing out on innovations. “Economies are going to be built on innovation,” Buzdar said in the video.

The US president has made immigration reform one of his top priorities for this year and Organizing for America (OFA) has gathered 7,000 stories from undocumented immigrants to be distributed on social media.

The movement is being supported by many in the technology community who favour an immigration bill which would allow more non-US nationals into the country to help promote innovation.

Pak tech innovator impresses Obama - thenews.com.pk

Pak Girl's Journey: Karachi Slum to Harvard Business School

Anum Fatima, a resident of Ibrahim Goth slum located near Karachi's Steel Town, is making history; she is going to Harvard Business School this summer as part of a student exchange program.

Anum's father is employed as a driver and her mother works as a maid. The slum school she attended is run by The Citizen's Foundation (TCF), a private foundation. From 5 schools in Karachi in 1995, TCF has expanded to 910 purpose-built schools with 126,000 students in 97 towns and cities across Pakistan.

After graduating from the TCF school located near her slum, Fatima has completed her BBA in Human Resource. She is currently attending College of Business Management (CBM) of the Institute of Business Management (IoBM), a private Business School in Karachi.
Anum is breaking many stereotypes about Pakistani women, particularly poor women, by studying business management at top business schools in Pakistan and the United States. She told a news reporter that when she broke the news to her father, he did not know what Harvard was. “When he went to work that day, he asked his boss, who told him what a tremendous achievement it was,” she said.

Although it's the first time that a TCF grad is going to Harvard, the Foundation schools have had many success stories of its graduates from poor families who have gone on to attend professional schools to become doctors, engineers, lawyers, teachers and business executives.

For complete blog visit Haq's Musings: Pak Girl's Journey: Karachi Slum to Harvard Business School

A Will Made of Steel and An Aircraft Made in Pakistan

“That, my friend, is the very first airplane made in Pakistan by a private aircraft manufacturer,” proudly stated my host pointing in the direction of the aircraft hanger behind me.

As I turned around with anticipation and saw an all composite two seat, three propeller aircraft, gleaming in the sunlight coming in through the hanger vents, a feeling of pride overwhelmed me. It was immediately followed by profound respect for my host entrepreneur and his long and inspiring journey from a dream to its realization parked right in front of me in that hanger.

0xvCC9H.jpg

My host was Faisal Naveed Asif, CEO of Scaled Aviation Industries, whom I had met on the judges’ panel at a business plan competition in a local university just a few weeks ago. Before the event, when Faisal introduced himself as the CEO of the only private-sector, certified, aircraft manufacturer in the whole of Middle East and South Asia, I was immediately impressed and decided that I must know and tell this man’s story which is guaranteed to be inspirational for seasoned and budding entrepreneurs alike. I asked Faisal if I could come and visit his facilities and a couple weeks later he called and we agreed to meet at Scaled Aviation’s Walton Airport Royal Hanger.

Faisal is a soft spoken and very down to earth individual. But underneath that modesty, he hides a brilliant mind trained by years of working with the defense sector, especially the Air Force and excellent academic credentials. When giving me an overview of some of the innovative aspects of his manufacturing process, his eyes lit up like those of a father telling the story of his child’s achievement. I could tell that this man was truly proud of all the ingenuity around him, most of it, a product of his own brilliance.

Faisal’s journey started back in 2001 when he announced to his family that he is going to quit his work in the defense sector and develop an indigenous aircraft in Pakistan. The initial reactions were not very encouraging. He recalls that one of his uncles quipped that he couldn’t produce a stable, four-legged chair in his furniture factory, let alone build an airplane. He also remembers his friends speculating that he has gone mad.

There is one particular incident, that Faisal recounts as what made him absolutely determined to build an aircraft. Faisal is a burly fellow and the very next morning, after announcing to his family that he will be building a company that manufactures aircrafts in Pakistan the night before, he was coming down the flight of stairs for breakfast when the folks at the table jokingly remarked, “Look, here comes the aircraft.” That was the moment, Faisal told me, that he made up his mind that he will prove everyone wrong and realize his dream at any cost.

One of the first things Faisal realized after embarking upon this journey was that it’s littered with clearance requirements from numerous departments even before he could file for the formation of a company with the stated objectives of manufacturing an aircraft. The bureaucracy, the red tape, the security clearances, the No Objection Certificates (NOCs), the wild goose chases between departments and ministries; none of that deterred Faisal.

The man, with the will of steel, persevered and managed to kick off his manufacturing operations in 2006. After about six years of bootstrapping the operations with his own capital and some debt financing, Faisal managed to produce the first air craft in 2012 that was ready for test flights. More importantly, his factory gained the capability of producing dozens of planes of varying capacities every year, making it a potentially viable business. The plane would cost less than many of the high end cars we see on the roads and it would be more fuel efficient than a standard four door sedan!

Along the way though, Faisal had to make some compromises because two of the most sensitive parts of the aircraft – the engine and the instrument panel – could not be built in Pakistan because of very stringent laws, lack of economically viable manufacturing facilities and an absent partner ecosystem. He managed to import those parts, but after and among others, clearances from the US Department of State pursuant to Pakistan signing off on the Kerry-Lugar bill. That was a real shocker for me.

Once the plane was ready, unbeknownst to Faisal, that opened another Pandora’s Box of requisite clearances before he could even fly, and more importantly sell the new aircrafts. He thinks that earlier, he may have gotten the required clearances with people thinking that he will never be able to actually build a plane. After he proved everyone wrong, all the agencies wanted to revisit what they had previously approved because of Faisal’s unyielding persistence.

He once again prevailed and obtained the necessary permissions for his aircraft to start logging airtime. Although this whole experience of getting run-arounds from the government departments and various agencies has left him bitter, he always managed to sneak in a satisfactory smile on his face when recalling his horror stories with the bureaucratic red tape. He proudly tells the story of when he turned down the offer by an Arab prince to come and build his factory in the Middle East. He was offered anything he would want along with state citizenship, but he refused and chose to realize his dream in Pakistan.

The day I met Faisal, he had scheduled a flight for his aircraft and was waiting for his pilot buddy to arrive. When he did and readied the plane, I was offered a ride in it. Multiple thoughts crossed my mind before I responded to that offer. At first, I hesitated, thinking this is the first of its kind airplane, the very first off the factory floor. I am a software engineer by training and know that it’s usual to put software with known bugs into production in order to meet project constraints.

“What if this plane had bugs,” I asked myself? “What if it went up and never came down,” I thought? But then I was reminded of Faisal’s meticulous planning, his entrepreneurial zeal and determination to build a first class flying machine. “This man wouldn’t take the slightest chance and won’t let anything shatter his dream,” a voice inside me reassured.

It was just that, a moment’s hesitation, and then I said yes. As I flew over Lahore in Faisal’s two seat Storm Rally aircraft, the exhilarating feeling of flying in Pakistan’s first privately manufactured aircraft remained in the backdrop and I couldn’t help but stay in awe of Faisal’s spirit and feel proud to be associated with him by virtue of being a fellow Pakistani.

So there, muffled among the many screaming stories in the media about injustice, intolerance, terrorism, corruption, energy crisis and what not, breathe the whispers of ingenuity, inventiveness and excellence. The untold story of a shy entrepreneur from Quetta who dared to dream big, persevered and fought all odds stacked against him, and built Pakistan’s very own, indigenously manufactured aircraft!

I flew in it, and it was amazing!

A Will Made of Steel and An Aircraft Made in Pakistan - Techies.pk

Pakistan becomes major player in world research

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan has witnessed, an impressive 50 per cent increase in the number of research publications during just the last two years, going up from 3939 to 6200 in the higher education sector of Pakistan.
This has been the second highest increase worldwide. Scimago, the world's leading research database, forecast that if this research trend from Pakistan continues, then by 2018, Pakistan will move ahead 26 notches in world ranking, from 43 to 27, and for the first time ever, will cross Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand in Asia. Today Pakistan is publishing more research papers per capita than India.
The number of PhD faculty at our public universities has also increased by almost 50%, from 4203 to 6067 in just the last 2 years alone. This is the result of the HEC PhD scholars that have started returning back and joining universities. These scholars are being selected for pursuing studies at leading universities of the academically advanced countries through a well-defined open, transparent and merit based mechanism.
About 10 to 15 scholars are completing their PhDs every week and are being placed by HEC at the universities under Interim Placement of Fresh PhDs Programme (IPFP). Other HEC incentives include a 0.5 million research grant to every returning scholar. Currently, there are hundreds of fresh foreign PhDs currently inducted into various universities across the country.
The number of PhD students enrolled at the universities has increased by over 40% in just the last one year, from 6937 to 9858 students, while over 28122 students are registered for MPhil/MS, up from 16960, an increase of 65% in just two years.
The increase in the number of PhDs awarded is again very similar, from 628 to 927 in the last 3 years, and will surge exponentially in the future as more PhD faculty and students join the universities.
Commenting on these developments, Dr. Javaid R. Laghari Chairperson HEC said that Universities are the single most important producers of knowledge and research that leads to innovation and entrepreneurship.
By introducing innovation, creativity and interdisciplinary research as a vital component of teaching, and with knowledge exchange programs, the university contributes more directly to the economy and the society than many other institutions in the country.
The HEC is encouraging research and ensuring proper utilization of the manpower being trained in fields relevant to the socio-economic development of Pakistan. In this regard, HEC has identified and prioritized energy, water resources, environment, food security etc. and other important socio-economic issues related to Pakistan.
Dr Laghari was of the view that with increased budget allocations for higher education sector and encouragement by new democratic government, Pakistan will win more laurels in the higher education at international level.

Pakistan becomes major player in world research

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video_id=431850833589558[/video]

Continued from Lone Shooter's post...
KARACHI:

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them, says Walt Disney.

Disney’s quote, perhaps, best explains the success story of Farhan Masood, who has been recognised as one of the world’s brilliant minds by Massachusetts Institute of Technology earlier this year for his product – world’s fastest retina and face scanner algorithm called SmartXS.

Masood’s dream – to build a Pakistani product and turn it into a global one – came true this year after he won the MIT Business Acceleration Plan contest, a highly competitive annual event whose objective is to help Pakistani IT, ITES, telecom and new media companies improve their business.

Of the 165 participants that compete in this contest, some members of top teams also get a chance to attend an entrepreneurship development programme at MIT in Cambridge, USA.

After a winning performance in the contest, Masood joined the list of MIT alumni. He has just returned after attending a course at MIT, one of the world’s best educational institutes. Those who attended this programme previously had benefited a great deal.

According to Pakistan Software Export Board’s website, some of the companies that participated in this programme saw their revenues grow by 5 to 10 times and valuation increase by 15 times. Giving the example of Sofizar, the PSEB’s website stated that the company’s revenue increased from less than $1 million to $30 million in two and a half years.

Masood, too, seem to benefit from the programme as his product has been well received by both MIT and the industries worldwide. “MIT has done tech evaluation of SmartXS, which is a big achievement,” Masood told The Express Tribune. “When your product is recognised by MIT, there is not much you can ask for.”

Interestingly, the man behind this technology is a college dropout who hated math for he was weak in the subject. “I have got all of this achievement because of my passion,” the 36-year-old Lahorite said.

Masood is the CEO of Solo Smart that’s based in Lahore and has offices in the UK and USA, represented by its subsidiaries namely Solo Tech and Solo Matrix respectively. It also has an office in Australia.

“We are trying to bring all these companies under one name – Solo Matrix. It is a high-tech company that deals in Mechatronics – a combination of software, electrical and mechanical engineering,” he said.

SmartXS is a biometric verification system that uses human face and eye to verify his identity, Masood said, and works mainly in two spaces – workforce management and security access control.

“Our algorithm is very fast,” he said while claiming it is the world’s fastest retina and face scanner algorithm.

The product was first brought to life in 2005 and its hardware was as big as a refrigerator, but now it’s smaller than a PC, Masood said. It has started to get worldwide recognition.

He said his product is currently used by the National Database and Registration Authority, the Pakistan Army and many multinational groups including Pepsico, Nestle and Tetra Pak. These companies are in talks with Masood for the implementation of the technology in their global operations.

“We are also getting queries from immigration departments of many governments for this product,” he said, refusing to share details. “University of Pennsylvania has also shown interest in the medical application of this product.”

Before starting his own entrepreneurial venture, Masood served as IT professional and had a lucrative job. He is the originator of Urdu, Persian and Arabic on internet and was able to incorporate Urdu, Persian and Arabic characters in English-based Windows back in 1997.

Masood was hired as a project director in Dubai Electronic Government in 2000. “The government had softened its state laws for one day to hire me and few others,” he said as he didn’t have a bachelor’s degree, a requirement for that job.

Despite his lucrative job that paid him 55,000 UAE dirhams per month, he chose to be an entrepreneur. “If I can do a lot of things for others, why not for myself and that very thought was the reason I chose to come back and launch my own business,” he said.

Correction: An earlier version of the story had misspelt mechatronics. The correction has been made.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 14th, 2013.

Indigenious art and heritage needs to be promoted

That requires a complete revamp of how the country is run

--------------------------------------

July 15, 2012

3279484751.jpg

As part of her 30 deeds during Ramadan last year, Salma Hasan Ali and her children prepare cookies for their neighbours

Ramadan: 30 days, 30 deeds

Last Ramadan, US-based Pakistani writer Salma Hasan Ali taught her children to be generous and compassionate by doing one good deed a day. This year, she plans 30 Days, 30 Gratitudes

A package of almond butter and dark chocolate for a friend in the peace corps, sharing moon and star-shaped cookies with neighbours, an interfaith iftar, making and selling greeting cards for charity, walking at suhoor to raise money for children in Somalia, planting trees, taking cupcakes to homeless shelters and foot massages for mom... these are just a few of the good deeds that Salma Hasan Ali got down to last year during Ramadan, in a bid to teach her children, Saanya (16) and Zayd (10) to care for others and to give back, while documenting the journey on a blog, 30days30deeds.com.

Creating better lives

“We decided as a family that we would try and do at least one good deed each day — something that would help someone else, make their life a little easier, or simply put a smile on their face,” she says.

The task, often daunting, proved to be easy because Ali is active in a group called MoverMom, which promotes family-friendly service.

“Some days I would panic when I didn’t have a specific service project in mind. But those days ended up being even more meaningful, because I would ask the kids for suggestions on good things we could do that day, and we would come up with simple, easy-to-do deeds — like writing letters or sharing stories with grandparents — and in that process realise that a good deed is as easy as making someone smile, and it is something that we can all do every day,” Ali says, in an email interview with GN Focus.

One of the 30 good deeds was to visit a recycling plant, taking with them brush, cardboard boxes and a bag full of materials that could be burned and made into power. The children came back empowered to recycle and with an understanding of how the process works.

On day 22, deed 22 was ‘leftar’, where you have an iftar meal out of leftovers. The deed held special significance for Ali, as she remembers her father-in-law living through the Bengal famine in 1943. “What he saw — people dying of hunger on the street — is etched in his heart, and in his habits. He never takes more than he can finish; his plate is always polished, and he has no issue eating leftovers for days. He is one of ten children; growing up, there was rarely seconds to go around. My kids need to learn these lessons; and so do I. I felt terrible throwing away fresh basil this morning that had turned limp and brown; I had only used a few leaves,” she says, in the blog entry for that day.

Lessons in charity

On the blog 30days30deeds.com, each day’s deed is accompanied by an inspirational quote from the Quran — including those on recycling. “I would write the deed, and then research a verse from the Quran or hadith which ever seemed to fit. This was something I hadn’t thought about doing in advance, but it was wonderful in that I learned so much that I didn’t know; for example, planting trees is so important in our faith, and you get continuous rewards from planting a tree when others benefit from it,” Ali says.

The year gone by has seen the ripple effect of the good deeds. One task included the children making two resolutions for Ramadan, one for themselves and one for the family.

“For the family, we committed to at least one dinner together each week (no easy feat given [husband] Arif’s travel),” Ali says.
A year down the line, she says, “We’ve been much better about having one meal together each week — sometimes even two!”

The bigger picture

At a larger level, there are ripples too. Ali says that what initially started as an interfaith teen group has turned into “a much more cohesive, committed band of teens of different faiths who do service projects together, and have fun doing it. They now call themselves, more officially, Capital Area Interfaith Friends. They did a Unity Walk, cooked and served dinners at a local shelter and ate with the women there, tutored young kids, watched a film about a Muslim football team (Fordson), and a film about the Holocaust (Paper Clips), learned more about a religion by giving up one thing for Lent, learned about Prophet Mohammad’s [PBUH] birthday, and just hung out getting to know
each other.”

Buoyed by her success last year, Ali has a blog and deeds planned this year too. She says: “This year, I’m thinking it will be 30days30gratitudes. The idea again is to focus and reflect on the true meaning of Ramadan — whether it’s performing good deeds, or in this case, expressing gratitude for everything God has given us and to appreciate all that we have.”

Ramadan: 30 days, 30 deeds | GulfNews.com

First Pakistani women paratroopers make history

YeOEsvW.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's first group of female paratroopers completed their training on Sunday, the military announced, hailing it as a “landmark achievement” for the country.

Captain Kiran Ashraf was declared the best paratrooper of the batch of 24, the military said in a statement, while Captain Sadia, referred to by one name, became the first woman officer to jump from a MI-17 helicopter.
After three weeks' basic airborne training, which included exit, flight and landing techniques, the new paratroopers completed their first jump on Sunday and were given their “wings” by the commander of Special Services Group, Major General Abid Rafique, the military said.

First Pakistani women paratroopers make history - DAWN.COM

Back
Top Bottom