What's new

Police kill two militants in India's capital

tyagi

Reaction score
Police kill two militants in India's capital - Asia, World - The Independent

Police kill two militants in India's capital

Police shot dead two suspected militants in India's capital today during a raid targeting suspects in last week's bombings in New Delhi that killed 23 people.

"We have shot dead two militants," Karnail Singh, an officer leading the raid, told reporters.

"At least five militants were hiding in an apartment but two fled from the spot and we have caught one," he said.

Police said the raid was carried out after a suspect arrested earlier gave them information on militants hiding in New Delhi.

Singh said one of the dead militants was a close associate of Abdul Subhan Qureshi, alias Tauqeer, a convent-educated computer expert and member of a banned Islamic students' group, who has been named as the chief suspect in the New Delhi attacks.

Authorities claimed today's raid marked significant progress in investigations into those bombings. More than 100 people were also wounded in the blasts.

A Reuters photographer said policemen armed with automatic rifles and pistols surrounded the apartment next to a mosque in a crowded south Delhi neighbourhood.

Witnesses said they heard shooting for about half an hour.

"It is time for Jumma (Friday) prayers and many people are here as there is a large mosque here," a witness told reporters.

The crack of bullets sent hundreds of people scurrying for cover. Women picked up their children and ran indoors and shops closed shutters.

India has intensified security after a series of bomb attacks in four Indian cities in as many months this year killed more than 150 people.

A group calling itself the Indian Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for each of the attacks, saying they were avenging atrocities against Muslims in India.

The government announced on Thursday several measures to tighten its policing and intelligence, including recruiting thousands more policemen and a new counter-terrorism centre to plug what Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said were "vast gaps" in the intelligence apparatus.

Delhi encounter: Injured Inspector dies in hospital

Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma, injured in Delhi encounter, died in a Delhi hospital on Friday.

Forty-one-year-old Sharma, a highly decorated officer who received three bullet injuries in his abdomen, thigh and right arm in the gunbattle at Jamia Nagar in South Delhi, succumbed to his injuries at the Holy Family hospital at 7 pm, doctors attending him said.

A recipient of seven gallantry medals, Sharma, who had led the police team against the militants wanted in connection with Delhi and Ahmedabad blasts, underwent an operation to remove the bullets from his body.

"We have lost our best man," Joint Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Karnal Singh told PTI.

Inspector Sharma led Friday's encounter in South Delhi's Jamia Nagar area where two terrorists were killed and another was arrested.

Earlier, Delhi Police Commissioner Y S Dadwal said that Inpector Sharma was one of the bravest officers in the the force.

Intelligence sources have said that Atif, one of the militants killed today, masterminded Delhi blasts. Atif was the brain behind serial blasts in Ahmedabad, Japiur. (With PTI inputs)

Hats off to Bravo Sharma. May his soul rest in peace.
And shame to guys who described encounter as fake.

Great news. The Indian Mujahideen are scum. They dont even have a cause expcept to promote violence. Their bombs kill muslims as well. then how the hell are they avenging atrocities to muslims? I just hope no one is stupid enough to go join them.

May Inspector Sharma's soul rest in peace knowing that two of those b@st@rds are dead.

I hope they killed the right men first of all. I am very sceptical when the police kills of 'terrorists' directly. Who knows if these men were directly responsible for this attack or not? Maybe the SIMI man who gave the intel to the police wanted his rivals in SIMI to be knocked off? Anything's possible.

I hope they killed the right men first of all. I am very sceptical when the police kills of 'terrorists' directly. Who knows if these men were directly responsible for this attack or not? Maybe the SIMI man who gave the intel to the police wanted his rivals in SIMI to be knocked off? Anything's possible.

You are starting to sound like the CIA in Afghanistan - the suspicion is that often the intel provided to NATO ends up being incorrect because individuals/tribes are trying to get rid of rivals.

Well assuming it wasn't a fake encounter, the militants fired back, so that automatically implicates them.

Police killed these men after specific information, And good guys do not carry guns, Police lost an officer.
No one claimed forward saying these men had valid licenses for guns.

Lashkar denies links with IM

Srinagar, Sept 21: Lashkar-e-Toiba on Sunday said it has no links with ‘Indian Mujahideen’ (IM) or Students Islamic Movement of India.

The LeT spokesman Dr Abdullah Gaznavi told Greater Kashmir by phone, “Claims of Delhi Police are just a mere propaganda against us. India wants to malign our image by making hoax claims. The LeT has already condemned the Delhi bomb attacks, as Islam doesn’t allow attack on civilians.”

Gaznavi said that the LeT is an organization that is “fighting Indian army in Kashmir and will continue till Kashmir is liberated.”

He said that activity of Lashkar is limited to the area of operation in Jammu and Kashmir and it has no hand with any activity in any other part of India.

“We are fighting Indian security agencies in Kashmir”, he said, “It is, however, unfortunate that Delhi Police and Indian agencies have been blaming LeT for all kind of violent activity across India, without any basis and investigation.”

He said that his organisation completely denounce violence against civilian as it is not only against humanity but against the principals of Islam as well. “LeT has no links with Indian Mujahideen”, he said adding, “It seems that Indian agencies have adopted a novel way to defame the organisation.”

Lashkar denies links with IM, Kashmir news Kashmir Discussion Forum, Kashmir Tour, Srinagar,Book hotel in Kashmir, Kashmir Bazaar, kashmir SMS, All about kashmir, Kashmir Gifts, Kashmir Websites, Great Kashmiris, kashmir travel forum, forum post, web

Who believes them anyways.

It is credible since most of the time these organizations rush to claim responsibility.

And given the deep resentment of India in Kashmiris, it is also valid that India would attempt to shift blame on the Kashmiri groups to put pressure n them and discredit the Kashmiris.

It is credible since most of the time these organizations rush to claim responsibility.

Terrorist never have credibility the give and retract statements anytime.

And given the deep resentment of India in Kashmiris, it is also valid that India would attempt to shift blame on the Kashmiri groups to put pressure n them and discredit the Kashmiris.

Why would India do that ? Investigative agencies probe from every angle and Intelligence provides the leads. They look for patterns.

For normal person it does not make difference between one terrorist and another terrorist.

Terrorist never have credibility the give and retract statements anytime.
They have goals however - in this case fighting an Indian occupation, and they have not shied away from claiming attacks against Indian SF's.

If their aim was to pressure India in Kashmir, they woudl have claimed the blast - it serves no purpose to carry out an attack and not link it to your cause.

Why would India do that ? Investigative agencies probe from every angle and Intelligence provides the leads. They look for patterns.

For normal person it does not make difference between one terrorist and another terrorist.
I'm sorry, but since India has no moral or legal; position in Kashmir, nothing it does in that territory or related to its is necessarily 'above board'.

Investigative agencies may do all that, but when it comes to India and Pakistan, 'agencies' are not infallible deities. They are used for political purposes and in India's case they have been used to malign Pakistan and the Kashmirirs, by tying in everything that occurs to the ISI or some Kashmiri group.

Its part of a systematic campaign to discredit those entities, and therefore discredit the freedom struggle in Kashmir.

They have goals however - in this case fighting an Indian occupation, and they have not shied away from claiming attacks against Indian SF's.

If their aim was to pressure India in Kashmir, they woudl have claimed the blast - it serves no purpose to carry out an attack and not link it to your cause.

Just now fatman posted a link now do you think of credibility ?

http://www.defence.pk/forums/war-terror/14334-islamabad-marriot-terrorist-bombing-14.html#post196914

I'm sorry, but since India has no moral or legal; position in Kashmir, nothing it does in that territory or related to its is necessarily 'above board'.

Investigative agencies may do all that, but when it comes to India and Pakistan, 'agencies' are not infallible deities. They are used for political purposes and in India's case they have been used to malign Pakistan and the Kashmirirs, by tying in everything that occurs to the ISI or some Kashmiri group.

Its part of a systematic campaign to discredit those entities, and therefore discredit the freedom struggle in Kashmir.

Agencies are not god and no agency is perfect they also investigate established patterns unfortunately they are have to respond before investigations are completed and case presented to court.

I will not reply to your Kashmir part of post in this thread.

What does that have to do with anything?

In India's case - the IM claimed the bombing and the LeT denied any connection with it and even condemned it as an attack on civilians.

Those are two different scenarios.
Agencies are not god and no agency is perfect they also investigate established patterns unfortunately they are have to respond before investigations are completed and case presented to court.

I will not reply to your Kashmir part of post in this thread.
Indeed LeA's are not god, and they are used to serve political aims - thats my point. India's political aim currently is to discredit the Kashmiri uprising and their cause by painting them as violent terrorists - the accusation against the LeT involves the Kashmir dynamic IMO, hence my bringing it up in this thread.

However, I think I understand what you are suggesting - that perhaps the patterns of the crimes fit past acts by the LeT, which led the LEA's to tie on the LeT to these blasts, but not for the reasons of deliberately and falsely implicating the LeT.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom