What's new

Pakistan's Special Operations Forces: SSG | SSGN | SSW | SOW | SOG

Probably Yes! lolzz....

But at that time the main protection duties being undertaken by the SSG was the security of Americans inside Pakistan, especially those working in Wana and surrounding for training the Army in satellite handling etc etc (i m not giving no more details). The new face of terrorism was just coming out of the shell at that time.

So here is what he said: ' i have not joined the Army to bodyguard the Americans':P

Pakistan want to train 80000 soliders to SSG'S or like this. At moment Pakistan Army have 2 Brigades of Special Forces (6 Battalions). It should be increased. In my view Pakistan Army also need Paratroopers. The typical NATO standard brigade consists of approximately 4,000 to 5,000 troops. If Pakistan army trains 3 brigrades of Pakistan army as Paratroopers it would be very useful for future. Paratroopers role is very important, especially when to drop troops in back of enemies defence lines.

Pakistan want to train 80000 soliders to SSG'S or like this. At moment Pakistan Army have 2 Brigades of Special Forces (6 Battalions). It should be increased. In my view Pakistan Army also need Paratroopers. The typical NATO standard brigade consists of approximately 4,000 to 5,000 troops. If Pakistan army trains 3 brigrades of Pakistan army as Paratroopers it would be very useful for future. Paratroopers role is very important, especially when to drop troops in back of enemies defence lines.

Zarb-e-Momin,
SSG is 3 brigades in formation (thus a divisional command) and the entire SSG is para-trained. You do not make it into the SSG if you do not qualify the para training.

Zarb-e-Momin,
SSG is 3 brigades in formation (thus a divisional command) and the entire SSG is para-trained. You do not make it into the SSG if you do not qualify the para training.

I know about SSG training. But in my view we need infrantray paratroopers units.

I know about SSG training. But in my view we need infrantray paratroopers units.

Why may I ask? That is the job of the SSG. Why do you want more troops trained on essentially a mode of transportation (I.E. para jumping)?

The British and the Americans had such troops trained in large numbers because there was no other way to transport them besides very large scale para drops. In the case of Pakistan, where would you use these troops? How would you extricate them after the para drops? There are very many lessons to be learned from the past as we have done such things. Infiltration of Special Forces into the other side would yield the greatest benefit. If this had been done in the 1965 war, the SSG troops would have done a lot more damage.

Last edited:
Why may I ask? That is the job of the SSG. Why do you want more troops trained on essentially a mode of transportation (I.E. para jumping)?

The British and the Americans had such troops trained in large numbers because there was no other way to transport them besides very large scale para drops. In the case of Pakistan, where would you use these troops? How would you extricate them after the para drops? There are very many lessons to be learned from the past as we have done such things. Infiltration Special Forces into the other side would yield the greatest benefit. If this had been done in the 1965 war, the SSG troops would have done a lot more damage.

Well, I've posted this on another thread, pure airborne light infantry is becoming extinct in the world, and only a few countries, including the US and Russia (like you mentioned) operate entire divisions of paratroopers (ex. US 82nd Airborne Division). Modern airborne divisions are not the same, however, and involve a wide range of aerial capabilities, from attack and transport helicopters to chopper-borne infantry to paratroopers etc. This type of division, I believe, won't be such a bad idea, as it is merely an integration of what the Pakistan Army already has, but on a larger scale.

Also, we should not confuse special operation forces with regular airborne troops. Pakistan needs SSG for special, not conventional, purposes. Saying that the SSG provides all the flexibility an airborne division can provide is not entirely accurate. However, the question is, does Pakistan really need para divisions, and the answer is probably no. The US used/uses para soldiers for drops deep within enemy territory (ex. Normandy), and I can't imagine the Pakistan Army trying to do that anytime soon, either on the Eastern or the Western border.

Also, we should not confuse special operation forces with regular airborne troops. Pakistan needs SSG for special, not conventional, purposes. Saying that the SSG provides all the flexibility an airborne division can provide is not entirely accurate. However, the question is, does Pakistan really need para divisions, and the answer is probably no. The US used/uses para soldiers for drops deep within enemy territory (ex. Normandy), and I can't imagine the Pakistan Army trying to do that anytime soon, either on the Eastern or the Western border.

Yes this is the reason I was questioning the need for more troops trained to be transported into the adversary's flank via air transport.

For what are Pakistan's needs in terms of a para capability, the SSG is sufficient. I really see no role of para missions inside of India in the future as such. Being landlocked, there is enough room for the SSG to be able to conduct operations against the opposing forces without having to rely on grand para missions on the scale of WWII.

Air assault is a capability that is valuable and is needed by the PA and it is something that is getting attention. This is also the reason that the core of PA's air assault capability is built around SSG troops. It is essentially an evolutionary process. In the future PA will have (already does to an extent actually) airborne and air assault capabilities.

SSG troops are very well trained. But if we will increase from 3 brigades to more it will cost a lot for us. Just train Infantary Brigades to do this Job. Pakistan can use them on line of controle in case if india start war with Pakistan also keep in mind we also did'nt have mountain division of infantary. Secondly in Cholistan & Thar Desert if inida succeed to penetrate deep in Pakistan then Paratroopers can cut the supply lines etc. In 1965 SSG's were droped to destroy aircrafts on airfield. It was mismanged.

DAWN News documentaries on SSG and Pakistan Army Snipers. Seems like an amazing documentary series (W.A.S):

First one is from Special Operations School - Mun jaanbazum all the way! - 8.2km done and 20 minutes to iftari (a little jog while fasting).

The SSG sniper using Accuracy International L-96: Rinse and repeat!

Last one is for Armour - for lack of an appropriate thread I am posting it here: - Heralding the new year..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom