What's new

Pakistanis miss the good old 'Khuda Hafiz'

Justin Joseph

Reaction score
Pakistanis miss the good old 'Khuda Hafiz'

ISLAMABAD: Pakistanis are signing up for an online campaign that is pleading Muslims to stick to the good old "Khuda Hafiz" of Persian origin instead of the new Arabised version "Allah Hafiz" that became popular during the regime of former military ruler Zia-ul-Haq.

"Khuda Hafiz," traditionally used by Muslims in the subcontinent to bid goodbye, is being taken over by "Allah Hafiz". Most people in Pakistan have switched to "Allah Hafiz," which they think is more religiously correct.

Britain-based Amina Gillani has launched a campaign on social networking site Facebook to bring back the use of "Khuda Hafiz" in common parlance.

"Support Pakistan's innocent, historical goodbye - khuda hafiz. Stand against the essentialist ideology working to remove it from our colloquial discourse.

"All discussions on how either new words and phrases, or (excessive) use and absences of existing words and phrases, impact social realities and experiences are welcome," Gillani posted on her page.

The going has not been easy for the group, which has managed about 1,168 members, including Indians, in the past few months.

"I have been saying Khuda Hafiz all my life and still do but when people stare at you and try to correct you, its then that I flare at them and tell them to mind their own business," wrote Nighat Navaid, a Pakistani national.

"Fi Amanillah is the best if you really want to say it in Arabic. Otherwise there is no harm in saying Khuda hafiz... Allah's name in Farsi (Persian)... is Khuda!" wrote Samiya Mohsin, who signed up for "Bring back Khuda Hafiz".

On the other hand, Abida Nudrat joined in to make a case for "Allah Hafiz".

She wrote: "Allah is the Ism-e-Azam meaning great name... The word Khuda means God which can also be used while referring to the deities".

Sajid Hussain challenged her with: "If it were like this, then why wasn't this word used from 1400 years (ago)".

"Why only in the subcontinent now?" Salman Khan, another member, went a step further and wrote, "Allah ho ya Khuda ho, Ishwar ho, ya God, if it's one God then you are a Muslim".

To counter Gillani's group, "Say only Allah Hafiz" has been floated on Facebook.

Some Pakistani columnists have been writing about the shift from Khuda Hafiz to Allah Hafiz. Khaled Ahmed wrote about "The rise of the Allah Hafizites" a few years ago.

Another leading columnist, Ejaz Haider, wrote that when he was growing up, he never heard anyone say Allah Hafiz: "But the reality is that Khuda Hafiz now has very few takers... It is amazing how we have Arabised ourselves despite our much stronger and direct Persian connection," he wrote.

Pakistanis miss the good old 'Khuda Hafiz' - The Times of India

I don't think that majority of Pakistani wants "Khuda Hafiz" it must be imagination of few people in Pakistan. The petro dollar influence is all over the world.

I like to say 'Khuda Hafiz' rather than 'Allah Hafiz'. BD people used to say 'Khuda Hafiz' mostly but now-a-days most of them use 'Allah Hafiz' for unknown reason.

As far I know 'Khuda' is a Persian word.

I always say khuda hafiz anyway so nearly every pakistani i know i'd say its about half half.

I dont remember exactly but Zakir Naik in his lecture mentioned that
Word ALLAH Is the best word rather than khuda
Because Khuda can be said Khudaon . (Plural)
But Word ALLAH cant be used in plural and any other form.
e.t Devta can be used as Devi. (Female)

Thanks

oh man, silly topic, allah is commonly used by pakistanis and we use allah a word in our greetings

persianised or arabised, does it make any difference??, did zia invent a new religion for us??

if we chant allah's name so its good, not a bad thing?? we are not persians anyway??

btw it s apakistani personal matter anyway, why indians jump into every thing, because they are perticularly zia o phobic??

Last edited:
Allah Hafiz is actually more correct.

Khudah is a persian word for God. In the Quran, the word "Khudah" is not used for God. Only Persians and South/Central Asian Muslims use the word "Khudah"

Allah is The One God.

Khuda Hafiz is mostly used by the people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Iran etc. Some people also say Khuda Negahdar.

i think we in India use both..

Last edited by a moderator:
Allah Hafiz is actually more correct.

Khudah is a persian word for God. In the Quran, the word "Khudah" is not used for God. Only Persians and South/Central Asian Muslims use the word "Khudah"

Allah is The One God.[/QUO

Please My Dear Brothers Use little comman sense. Why God creates so many ethnic people with different languages Every one is using GOD name in their Languages. So what is correct or not correct there is no question here.
Is Quran said use Allah Hafiz (means Word Hafiz is in Quran for saying godbye) the answer is NO. So Khuda Hafiz or Allah Hafiz is the same.

And some one is saying About Zakir Naik A person who think what he will say is correct. Giving Logic. If he is the person who can say right or wrong then is was allowed to do Fatawa in his Religion which he is not in title for even what ever he is doing now.

And i would like to say please follow some one who has respect from entire Religion he has no respect in Islamic religion means different factors.

Thanks

:pakistan:

Khuda means "the Creator" (Khudae means the "created one") while Allah is the name of Allah Subhan-o-Taela. When you say Khuda, you mention one of the traits of God but when you say Allah, you use name of the God Almighty.

Although when Muslims say Khuda Hafiz, they actually mean Allah Hafiz but Khuda is also used by Christians and other religions here in Pakistan to whom concept of Khuda not exactly the same as in Islam. I have Christian friends and over fone conversations, whenever I say good bye to them and say "Allah Hafiz", they reply "Khuda Hafiz" in response. So Khuda is kind of generalized and other religions have also adopted that but Allah Hafiz is still the Muslim specific.

Back
Top Bottom