What's new

Pakistanis in North America

I always hate those forms. I always put "Asian" though most people in the west consider "Asian" as Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc

I've never seen indian or even arab as an option; the other options are usually "pacific islander" "african american" and "Caucasian"

Source: the very respectable US Census Bureau. Read the PDF. Note, a lot of Pakistanis don't put 'Indian' as their race. Instead they use 'Asian' which is normally used for Chinese, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, etc, etc.
A lot of time, if they look white like people from the Northern side of Pakistan, they straight up write 'White' as their race...so you'll have to count those in to and that's hard. But overall, there is 10+ million Muslims in the US. Out of those, there is the biggest community from Pakistan representing about 4-5 million. Now, you can add Indian Muslims to it also as they come for IT jobs too:
http://www.ssa.gov/aapi/2010census-data.pdf

Well, read through your source..

I still couldn't understand where you came up with this 4 million number though?

10 million Muslims in U.S.A alone? Why you want to give heart-attack to Islamophobes man? :lol:

Can you pin point where your numbers are coming from (Muslims in US, Pakistanis in US)?

I always hate those forms. I always put "Asian" though most people in the west consider "Asian" as Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc

I've never seen indian or even arab as an option; the other options are usually "pacific islander" "african american" and "Caucasian"

You are not the only one bhai...

We all hate it.

F*cking ASIAN?!?! Not ******, I'm a P-A-K-I-S-T-A-N-I !!!!!!

Btw, in some forms for my university..they did have sub-option as "Pakistani" :)

Well, read through your source..
I still couldn't understand where you came up with this 4 million number though?
10 million Muslims in U.S.A alone? Why you want to give heart-attack to Islamophobes man? :lol:
Can you pin point where your numbers are coming from (Muslims in US, Pakistanis in US)?

I had various sources to confirm the number I gave you and it is very credible. But please feel free to do some research yourself.
1) 2005: United States 2,595,000 (unofficial) 0.8 (of total population) 0.2 (PEW study) 7,000,000 (other sources, close to being more accurate)

2) The total muslim population in america according to the American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS 2008)

Muslim
1990 527,000 0.3% of the total us population
2001 1,104,000 0.5% of the total us population
2008 1,349,000 0.6% of the total us population

I copied stuff from some places to on here. This is up to 2008. Now add 5 more years worth of immigration, migration, and new born, the number goes up. Now do the math, the US population is 330 million. If you took 6% or 7% of that, it'll be about 20-25 million ballpark. Pakistanis represent the largest Muslim population as a group so I think it is beyond 3-4 mill. I think NOW, it's around 5-6 million. But feel free to do the search. You also need to remember, immigrant communities, specially the Muslim ones, are unlikely to participate in surveys about 'your religion' post 911. I've been told about it from different muslim friends as they wouldn't understand why they were being asked that question.So survey results will be far by a large margin.

I had various sources to confirm the number I gave you and it is very credible. But please feel free to do some research yourself.
1) 2005: United States 2,595,000 (unofficial) 0.8 (of total population) 0.2 (PEW study) 7,000,000 (other sources, close to being more accurate)

2) The total muslim population in america according to the American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS 2008)

Muslim
1990 527,000 0.3% of the total us population
2001 1,104,000 0.5% of the total us population
2008 1,349,000 0.6% of the total us population

I copied stuff from some places to on here. This is up to 2008. Now add 5 more years worth of immigration, migration, and new born, the number goes up. Now do the math, the US population is 330 million. If you took 6% or 7% of that, it'll be about 20-25 million ballpark. Pakistanis represent the largest Muslim population as a group so I think it is beyond 3-4 mill. I think NOW, it's around 5-6 million. But feel free to do the search. You also need to remember, immigrant communities, specially the Muslim ones, are unlikely to participate in surveys about 'your religion' post 911. I've been told about it from different muslim friends as they wouldn't understand why they were being asked that question.So survey results will be far by a large margin.

The article says total muslim population in May 2012 is 2.6% i.e ~3 million
Number of Muslims in the U.S. doubles since 9/11* - NY Daily News

Same figure comes from the wiki link.

Islam by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What kind of investment opertunities can an ex-pat find in Pakistan? I have bought some property but I want something more than that. What about the stock market? Is it easily accessible for investment from abroad?
Yes, you can invest in Pakistani stocks from abroad, what you need is a account with an online broker, but if you are new and do not know much about stock market, I will suggest you start with buying mutual funds,its a good way to learn the nitty-gritty of the stock market. Mutual funds are low risk and are managed by fund managers who have extensive experience in the stock market.

Here are some online stock broker’s websites:

KASB Direct : Pakistan's Fastest Online Trading System
KASB Direct : Account Opening

Standard Capital Securities
KSE - Karachi Stock Exchange | Online Stocks & Commodities Trading in Pakistan, Share trading Pakistan by Top Broker Pakistan

Taurus Securities - Karachi Stock Exchange Broker - A Subsidiary of National Bank of Pakistan
Taurus Securities - Karachi Stock Exchange Broker - A Subsidiary of National Bank of Pakistan

For more information you can also call Karachi Stock Exchange or visit their website:
http://www.kse.com.pk/
Ph: 111-001122

14 Pakistani equity funds among world

Pakistan's top mutual funds websites:

NBP Fullerton Asset Management Limited
NBP Fullerton Asset Management Limited | A Subsidiary of National Bank of Pakistan - Monthly Report - NAFA Stock Fund

AKD Opportunity Fund
AKDInvestment.com

JS Growth Fund
http://www.jsil.com/products/termsheet.do?fundCode=13

ABL Asset Management Company Limited
ABL Stock Fund | ABL Asset Management

Tapping the Pakistani community in America

The Express Tribune
By Shahid Javed Burki
March 24, 2013

All the funds that flow into Pakistan from the community of Pakistanis in the US are not remittances sent by workers to help families back in the homeland. A significant amount goes to the country in the form of charity of various kinds. Some of it takes the form of compensation for the work done in Pakistan for the diaspora in the US. Two examples indicate how the community in America is getting integrated with the informal sector in the homeland.

Some IT entrepreneurs speak of what they call the development of a “cottage industry” in their sector. There are thousands of women with good IT skills who are not actively employed in the sector but have set up shops in their homes to work on assignments they receive from relatives and friends in the diaspora community. They get compensated for the work they do, which the State Bank of Pakistan records as worker remittances but are, in actual fact, earnings from the export of services. As much as a billion dollars may come in, in this form. The other example is from the fashion industry. Here again, women are the entrepreneurs. They have good links with the diaspora community and fashion clothes for its members. Some of them use their vacations in American cities that have large concentrations of well-to-do Pakistanis to hold informal “fashion shows”. In these, they sell the garments they have brought with them, as well as take orders from those interested in making purchases. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the earnings and size of this sector are significant.

As the size of the Pakistani middle class grows and the nature of its composition changes, we can expect greater interface between it and the diaspora in the US. How can this be engineered in a way that benefits both Pakistan and the community of Pakistanis in North America?

Several years ago, in a conversation with a senior official in Pakistan, I told him what I thought was the size of the Pakistani community in the US, what its aggregate annual income was, how much it saved every year, and the size of the wealth it had accumulated over the years. He was so impressed with my estimates that he sent over one of his close associates to meet with some of the diaspora leaders and ask them for help to reduce the country’s debt burden. The community leaders made it clear that they were not interested in including the Pakistani government in the list of charities they supported. They were prepared to provide resources for the country’s development, provided channels were available in the private sector through which investments could flow and provide reasonable rates of return. If the government could work to encourage the creation of such instruments, there is reason to believe that the diaspora community would respond with additional money.

Pakistan could learn from the Indian experience in this area. Several well-to-do Indian entrepreneurs with backgrounds in finance and the IT sector have established venture capital funds as well as private equity firms that are channelling financial resources into a number of activities in their home country. Pakistan has made a modest beginning in this area but could do a great deal more. The government could organise meetings with the financial leaders in the community in the US to determine how this particular industry could be developed. There is one other area where a partnership between the diaspora and the public sector could benefit both. This is the area of health services. Some physicians from Pakistan have set up hospitals in some of the major Pakistani cities of their origin. This trend could be encouraged by the government selling some of its hospitals to those from Pakistan who are prepared to invest in this sector.

Financial flows originating in the diaspora communities will become increasingly important. These need to be managed less passively and more aggressively than was done in the past.

img_7080.jpg

Devon Avenue , Chicago, Illinois

Many portions along Devon Avenue have been given alternative names to represent the different cultures that live there. Above is Mohammed Ali Jinnah Way, the founder of Pakistan.

New Yorker Ayad Akhtar’s ‘Disgraced’ wins Pulitzer for drama

By Joe Dziemianowicz / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

New Yorker Ayad Akhtar’s “Disgraced,” about a well-off Pakistani-American lawyer whose upper East Side life takes unsettling turns, has won the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.

536293-ayadakhtar-1366124558-581-640x480.jpg

Pakistani-American writer and actor Ayad Akhtar. PHOTO: REUTERS

“The play came out of me,” said Akhtar, 42, who was born in Staten Island and has lived in Harlem since 1998, getting a Master’s degree at Columbia University — home of the Pulitzer Prizes.

The play, Akhtar’s first, enjoyed a sold-out run at Lincoln Center last fall following its premiere at Chicago’s American Theater Company.

“I was writing from my experience,” he told the Daily News. “As a Muslim American, exploring the ways in which race and identity and assimilation have been shaped post-9/11 is part of my work, because it’s part of my life.”

Akhtar is known for writing the acclaimed novel, “American Dervish,” and for co-writing and acting in the terror-themed film “The War Within.”

Akhtar’s drama topped two finalists: “Rapture, Blister, Burn,” by Gina Gionfriddo and “4000 Miles” by Amy Herzog.

Akhtar, who was reached in London, where a new production of “Disgraced” is in the works, called the Pulitzer win “a huge honor and very unexpected.”

The drama award includes a $10,000 prize.

Akhtar’s new play, “The Who & the What,” about a Muslim family in Atlanta, is set to run in New York next year following its premiere at the La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego.

Thoughts on Leaving USA

June 11th, 2013

Raza Habib Raja

So finally the time, which I had never wanted to come, has come. I will be leaving USA within a matter of days. We all have tendency to reflect back, whenever some important phase of our lives is ending. I am no exception and the only difference is that I am putting my thoughts on paper.

I came here and like many who have come here, fell in love with this arguably the greatest place to live. I was doubly fortunate to have come here as a student and study at one of the best educational institutions. Cornell’s campus is stunning and the city of Ithaca along with its gorges, lakes and waterfalls, is out of this world.

When 17th June arrives, the prospective date of my departure, I will have lived in USA for exactly one year and ten months. It is a long time though perhaps still not long enough to fully understand a complex and highly diversified country.

In fact the sheer expanse and immense diversity ( to which I have not even been properly exposed) , makes it so difficult to articulate a single narrative about this country. It is a country where so many ethnicities live and cultural variation is enormous. By no stretch of imagination, can you compare Texas with New York and even within these two obviously different states; there is enormous variation with respect to culture and ethnic mix.

Henry James had once said that America is not a country. America is like a world. There is so much truth to this statement. It is not that USA is the most powerful country which the world respects, emulates and at times even fears. It is because, it is like a world scaled down to fit in the geographical and political confines of a county. A single country ( i.e. USA) displays the same diversity as of the entire globe.

However, we can still make some broad inferences because after all one constitution exists all over USA. Moreover, USA is after all a sovereign state with definite boundaries and an overarching culture, which to the rest of the world is “American”.

When I came here, to a certain extent ( and to some of my friends a large extent), I was already harboring a soft corner for USA. This soft corner was present because unlike many of my countrymen, I did not think USA as a foe but as someone with whom we shared a complicated but largely beneficial relationship. But most importantly, I wholeheartedly believed that Islamic militants were our common enemies and while it was natural to argue over the right way to fight with them, nevertheless we needed to fight them.

However, this point of view of mine is of course not shared by majority of my country’s population. Survey after survey has shown that Pakistanis hate USA despite the fact that their country has received literally billions of dollars in aid.

These surveys are easily available online and literally every American can access them. And yet despite the hatred which my countrymen harbor for USA, I never heard a remark from any American against Pakistan. And you have to factor in the fact that Osama Bin Laden was found hiding in Pakistan. In fact the media also did not criticize Pakistan the way it should have, given the fact that 9/11 has left a permanent imprint on the collective US psyche.

When I arrived, the Osama Bin Laden’s assassination was barely a few months old and yet media had completely forgotten about it. In USA, I have continued to learn that foreign policy and what happens in the foreign lands, is seldom a concern unless US lives are directly at stake. Osama Bin Laden was an issue immediately after 9/11 but Americans largely forgot about him. Yes due to the lingering memories of 9/11, there were some celebrations but the episode then quickly faded into background as more pressing domestic issues took the center stage.

Despite the enormous power, which USA’s foreign policy has on the events of the world, it does not appear to be the very pressing concern for the USA’s own population. Hence, there appears to be a disconnect between population and the official US stance towards various issues. USA is a global power with a population which is excessively inward looking and concerned with domestic politics. Of course the exception is when US gets dragged into actual conflict and occupation such as Iraq, Vietnam and Afghanistan. Then the population gets involved mainly due to its concern for its own soldiers.

Most of times the average American is not even well informed about many global issues and about his own government’s stance. This disconnect has allowed Washington to pursue policies which have been based not on the “will of the people” but on realpolitik concerns. And on the “plus” side, has resulted in a population which remains remarkably tolerant of Pakistanis living in their midst despite the fact that anti American sentiments run extremely high in Pakistan.

I also witnessed a highly politically correct culture which actually works concomitantly with freedom of speech and in fact limits the potential negative excesses of the latter. Throughout my stay, I witnessed that while Americans love freedom but at the same time they also understand that such freedom comes with a responsibility. The most sensitive area of course is race and understandably due to legacy of slavery. Likewise, gender and religion ( of minorities) are also politically correct areas.

To a certain extent this is understandable due to the strong immigrant culture of USA. It is a melting pot and a multicultural society where ethnicity is becoming more and more important factor politically. In fact, the ethnicity virtually decided the 2012 Presidential elections. Despite a flagging economy, Obama was able to win because Republican Party has largely become a white party which is unable to connect with Blacks, Latinos and various other religious and ethnic groups.

However this culture of political correctness entails advantages as well as disadvantages. The advantage is that it helps social cohesion and inculcates respect of diversity. And on the flip side it has also heightened obsession with political correctness. At times, things which should be said clearly, are not said because a particular community may end up feeling hurt. Excessive political correctness has actually raised the communal, religious and ethnic sensitivity and has resulted in over carefulness. Prominent politicians are afraid of making gaffes particularly in front of media. One careless word or remark can put the entire campaign into serious jeopardy.

A times, this sensitivity can also be manipulated to seek advantage in court cases ( OJ Simpson) and also for fending off criticism. In USA, even legitimate criticism on both Islamic militancy as well as Israel’s aggression can easily be painted as Islamophobia and anti-Semitism respectively. Consequently, many a times, certain things despite being obvious are not even admitted let alone discussed.

I have developed a high respect of American Bills of Right, its constitution and democracy in these two years. Coming from a dysfunctional state, it is amazing to see how democracy actually works in a highly diversified and complex environment. Of course, US has the advantage of around 250 years of evolution behind it and this factor has to be incorporated in any analysis which is seeking comparative analysis.

With respect to American democracy, there are still loopholes which need to be rectified. I think that sometimes powerful lobbies are able to take advantage, of the representative nature of the democracy. The clearest example is the defeat of the bill seeking amendments in gun ownership. Despite the obvious danger which easy access to the guns pose, the NRA was able to get the bill defeated in the Senate. What made this even more ironical was the fact that almost all the opinion polls were showing support for the proposed amendments ( regarding background checks). Despite this the Senators voted against the bill. They were able to do so mainly because in a representative democracy like US, a single issue seldom becomes the sole issue. In the interim period between elections, Senators can vote against a popular bill and yet get reelected in the elections as voters eventually elect due to party affiliations and an overall assessment. Moreover, in US Senate, states are equally represented despite enormous population differences and consequently some less populated states are able to affect the policy discourse at the national level in a disproportionate way.

But despite these loopholes, American democracy is better than the most and it has been awesome experience to see it in action along with basic rule of law.

There is a chance that I may be back for my PhD in politics and that too within months ( as I have secured admission) so therefore I can not , as yet, say a final good bye. But since life is unpredictable, and often things are not fully under our control, there is also a chance that I may not come. In either case, these two years have been the most beautiful and wonderful years of my life.

Yes, USA is the most wonderful country in the world. And coming from a repressed society, I can appreciate it much more than many US citizens who take their privileges and freedom for granted.

Back
Top Bottom